CF-29MK4 Mint 17 Firefox no run.(SOLVED)

Due to overwhelming demand, we have created a forum just dedicated to Toughbook users who use Linux!
mklym

CF-29MK4 Mint 17 Firefox no run.(SOLVED)

#1 Post by mklym »

I did a fresh install of Mint 17 XFCE on my CF-29MK4. After installing the updates available for the fresh install, Firefox will not run. I get a Profile Missing error. I have searched for a fix with no luck.
Uninstall and reinstall does not fix the problem.

Anyone know how to fix this?

And no, I don't want to run a different browser. Thanks.
Last edited by mklym on Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CF-29LTQ,CF-31SBM,CF-52youngGUN,

Life's Journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways totally worn-out shouting 'Woo Hoo! What a ride!

Motorsports - the only real sport. If it doesn't have a motor, it is just a game.

There is always something waiting at the end of the road, if you are not willing to see what it is, you probably shouldn't be out there in the first place.

SHEEPMAN!

Re: CF-29MK4 Mint 17 Firefox no run.

#2 Post by SHEEPMAN! »

Fair for you/ Fair for me.
I chose to NOT be organized.

-------------------------------------------------------------------[/color]
http://toughbooktalk.com/
http://forum.notebookreview.com/panasonic/

Shawn

#3 Post by Shawn »

Try a portable version of Firefox?
Life will beat you into submission.

mklym

#4 Post by mklym »

J'd, you bet. Delete profile, create new profile, click the Firefox entry in the start menu and.....Profile Missing.

Shawn, no I have not, but I will. Thanks.

Life's Journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways totally worn-out shouting 'Woo Hoo! What a ride!

Motorsports - the only real sport. If it doesn't have a motor, it is just a game.

There is always something waiting at the end of the road, if you are not willing to see what it is, you probably shouldn't be out there in the first place.

SHEEPMAN!

#5 Post by SHEEPMAN! »

In terminal take a look at

Code: Select all

man firefox
I tried opening firefox using

firefox -browser
Performed o.k. offered to rebuild since I use another browser and haven't used it in a long time.

I ignore the glib object warnings.
Fair for you/ Fair for me.
I chose to NOT be organized.

-------------------------------------------------------------------[/color]
http://toughbooktalk.com/
http://forum.notebookreview.com/panasonic/

mklym

#6 Post by mklym »

Nope, no change, J'd.

I started a thread on the Mint forum as well. I will report any findings.

kode-niner

#7 Post by kode-niner »

Profiles are stored in .mozilla/firefox in the user's home directory. If you got nothing to lose, the easiest way is to delete it then restart Firefox. Otherwise check the contents of profile.ini to see if it makes sense, like this:

[General]
StartWithLastProfile=1

[Profile0]
Name=default
IsRelative=1
Path=523i13xf.default
The Path should correspond to a directory of the same name inside ./mozilla/firefox . StartWithLastProfile and IsRelative should be set to 1.
Daily drives a CF-31

mklym

#8 Post by mklym »

The profile.ini file looks identical to yours, except the entry after Path= is different, but corresponds to the correct profile.

Deleting the profile made no difference. Same profile missing error when I try and run FF.

Thanks.

kode-niner

#9 Post by kode-niner »

Did you delete the firefox directory or just the profile? I'd even try to zap the .mozilla directory and see if it gets recreated, with or without error, when firefox runs. Also, I'd run firefox in a terminal to examine any other messages. The few times I've encountered profile errors, deleting the firefox directory seemed to be the easiest fix.

If it still turns to crap, try running firefox while specifying the full path to the profile directory like this example:

firefox -profile "/home/username/.mozilla/firefox/523i13xf.default/"
Obviously the above path should vary according to your situation.
Daily drives a CF-31

mklym

#10 Post by mklym »

I deleted the /.mozilla folder, no diff. It does get recreated when I try and run FF afterwards. FF still will not run, Profile Missing error.

Here is a link to the other thread, I have posted the output from terminal.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=181748

I can not direct it straight to the profile until FF runs. ATM inside the /.mozilla/firefox/ folder is a Crash Reports folder, inside that there is a file InstallTimexxxx... and an Events folder that is empty. I would have to run FF from terminal using sudo, in order to generate a default profile, no other way will run FF.

Return to “The LINUX forum!!!”