CF-29MK4 Mint 17 Firefox no run.(SOLVED)

Due to overwhelming demand, we have created a forum just dedicated to Toughbook users who use Linux!
kode-niner

Re: CF-29MK4 Mint 17 Firefox no run.

#11 Post by kode-niner »

That's odd. Did the permissions and ownership to your home directory change?
Daily drives a CF-31

mklym

#12 Post by mklym »

Not that I know. Did a fresh install, FF worked, did the updates for Mint 17 and FF will not work.
At that point I had not loaded anything into the OS other than the updates that were available through UM.
CF-29LTQ,CF-31SBM,CF-52youngGUN,

Life's Journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways totally worn-out shouting 'Woo Hoo! What a ride!

Motorsports - the only real sport. If it doesn't have a motor, it is just a game.

There is always something waiting at the end of the road, if you are not willing to see what it is, you probably shouldn't be out there in the first place.

SHEEPMAN!

#13 Post by SHEEPMAN! »

Buggy? Roll back a version?
Fair for you/ Fair for me.
I chose to NOT be organized.

-------------------------------------------------------------------[/color]
http://toughbooktalk.com/
http://forum.notebookreview.com/panasonic/

mklym

#14 Post by mklym »

Well, it sure bugs me! :)
The errors in terminal are GLib, one GLib-CRITICAL and four GLib-GOBject-WARNING. I get the same errors when I run FF from terminal with sudo, but after the errors FF runs. To me, those errors are OS based, not browser based, but I may be wrong.

/RANT
It makes me angry having to blow off so much time dealing with this BS.
I guess that is the true cost of 'free' OSes and software, the users time.
Time is the most valuable thing a man has. I don't have the time to spend hours in the evenings and weekends, trying to fix problems that arose after doing a simple update, so that I have a fully functioning, smooth running unit.
/END_RANT

Life's Journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways totally worn-out shouting 'Woo Hoo! What a ride!

Motorsports - the only real sport. If it doesn't have a motor, it is just a game.

There is always something waiting at the end of the road, if you are not willing to see what it is, you probably shouldn't be out there in the first place.

Shawn

#15 Post by Shawn »

You could always install Windows to eliminate ALL the bugs.... :rofl:
Life will beat you into submission.

mklym

#16 Post by mklym »

I am actually very close to doing that, actually.
At least MS issues a fix for update errors in a day or two.

kode-niner

#17 Post by kode-niner »

mklym wrote:Not that I know.
Do a recursive change owner on your home directory. Below example is for username "user" so adjust accordingly.

Code: Select all

chown -R user ~user
Daily drives a CF-31

mklym

#18 Post by mklym »

I am at work, will check it out tonight. I didn't bring the 29 with me as it has no working browser.
Thanks.

UNCNDL1

#19 Post by UNCNDL1 »

Morgan, sorry you are having mintified problems....I also had an issue with 17 on the gun52, finally gave up. Currently flipped for the paid version of Zorin, after trying the free version of Zorin Lite...
http://zorin-os.com/premium.html
BTW, currently running Watt OS (microwatt) on the M-34 Jeff sent me, as well as the CF-28:
http://mylinuxbook.com/wattos-r8-ditche ... of-debian/
I found the download here:
http://www.planetwatt.com/pages/downloads

I'd try the lite version of zorin first, and see if things work better for you.
keep in touch
Cleve
CF-53 MX-Linux 21 Wildflower
CF-30 MK2 SSD MX-21 Betsy, MK2 Navigatrix, Fundraiser for TbT
CF-52 GUN SSD MX-19
(NICE) Thanks Sadlmkr
CF-M34 MicroWattR8 Thanks Sadlmkr
CF-M33 MicroWattR8 Thanks Springfield

mklym

#20 Post by mklym »

kode-niner wrote:
mklym wrote:Not that I know.
Do a recursive change owner on your home directory. Below example is for username "user" so adjust accordingly.

chown -R user ~user
Here is the output from terminal. Looks like it did its thing when I ran it the second time with sudo:

morgan@CF-29MK4Mint17 ~ $ chown -R morgan ~morgan
chown: cannot read directory ‘/home/morgan/.cache/mozilla’: Permission denied
chown: cannot read directory ‘/home/morgan/.cache/dconf’: Permission denied
chown: cannot read directory ‘/home/morgan/.adobe’: Permission denied
chown: cannot read directory ‘/home/morgan/.gconf/apps/gedit-2’: Permission denied
chown: cannot read directory ‘/home/morgan/.local/share/Trash/expunged/4109582854/firefox/roefq7vv.Morgan’: Permission denied
chown: cannot read directory ‘/home/morgan/.local/share/Trash/expunged/616363170/firefox/ffvebvgz.defaultOLD’: Permission denied
chown: cannot read directory ‘/home/morgan/.macromedia’: Permission denied
chown: cannot read directory ‘/home/morgan/.gvfs’: Permission denied
chown: cannot read directory ‘/home/morgan/.mozilla/firefox/c8lvy3l1.default’: Permission denied
chown: changing ownership of ‘/home/morgan/.mozilla/firefox/profiles.ini’: Operation not permitted
chown: cannot read directory ‘/home/morgan/.mozilla/extensions’: Permission denied
chown: cannot read directory ‘/home/morgan/.config/enchant’: Permission denied
chown: changing ownership of ‘/home/morgan/.gnome2/gedit/gedit-2’: Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of ‘/home/morgan/.gnome2/gedit’: Operation not permitted
chown: cannot read directory ‘/home/morgan/.gnome2/accels’: Permission denied
chown: changing ownership of ‘/home/morgan/.gnome2’: Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of ‘/home/morgan/Downloads/Firefox 31.0’: Operation not permitted
morgan@CF-29MK4Mint17 ~ $ sudo chown -R morgan ~morgan
[sudo] password for morgan: 
morgan@CF-29MK4Mint17 ~ $ 
I will close out FF and see if it will run without sudo. Will report back soon.

Return to “The LINUX forum!!!”