Updated SolydX - no FoxTrotGPS

Due to overwhelming demand, we have created a forum just dedicated to Toughbook users who use Linux!
UNCNDL1

Re: Updated SolydX - no FoxTrotGPS

#11 Post by UNCNDL1 »

Morgan, this is great news! That zero-zero dude get's thumbs up. His work a round for the break is right on. Glad it's all better again.
CF-53 MX-Linux 21 Wildflower
CF-30 MK2 SSD MX-21 Betsy, MK2 Navigatrix, Fundraiser for TbT
CF-52 GUN SSD MX-19
(NICE) Thanks Sadlmkr
CF-M34 MicroWattR8 Thanks Sadlmkr
CF-M33 MicroWattR8 Thanks Springfield

mklym

#12 Post by mklym »

Ya, I was happy to get it working again. Yes, he makes it seem easy. :) Fairly simple fix, actually, or he made it seem simple. Between getting the boot problem straightened out and getting Foxtrotgps running again, the unit is back to operating normal, and I am happy. :)
CF-29LTQ,CF-31SBM,CF-52youngGUN,

Life's Journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways totally worn-out shouting 'Woo Hoo! What a ride!

Motorsports - the only real sport. If it doesn't have a motor, it is just a game.

There is always something waiting at the end of the road, if you are not willing to see what it is, you probably shouldn't be out there in the first place.

kode-niner

#13 Post by kode-niner »

Debian jessie, to the rescue!
Daily drives a CF-31

glitch

#14 Post by glitch »

Mklym,

Do you have any hints for getting the stock gps in a 29 to answer gpsd?

An USB Pharos 500 runs fine. I would like to get it set up so I dont have the

USB hanging out or if I dont have it with me.

EDIT -----------------

I found it on ttyS1. I guess I fat fingered it the first time I was searching...

Now to get foxtrot to find it...
glitch

CF-19 Mk-1 / CF-M34 / CF-27 / CF-28 / CF-29 Mk-1 / CF-H1 Field/Health

“The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice. Day by day, what you do is who you become. Your integrity is your destiny - it is the light that guides your way.” Heraclitus ~5 bc

mklym

#15 Post by mklym »

If it is on ttyS1, then in terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo killall gpsd
sudo gpsd -D5 -N -n /dev/ttyS1
That should get your GPS streaming data. Now start FoxtrotGPS and it will find the data stream. Foxtrot looks for gpsd, not the hardware. HTH.

Life's Journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways totally worn-out shouting 'Woo Hoo! What a ride!

Motorsports - the only real sport. If it doesn't have a motor, it is just a game.

There is always something waiting at the end of the road, if you are not willing to see what it is, you probably shouldn't be out there in the first place.

glitch

#16 Post by glitch »

yeah that helped, it took a while but now it starts everytime.

Thanks. :)
glitch

“The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice. Day by day, what you do is who you become. Your integrity is your destiny - it is the light that guides your way.” Heraclitus ~5 bc

mklym

#17 Post by mklym »

Right on! Good that it is all sorted. You should be able to shorten the terminal to gpsd /dev/ttyS1, and killall before does not hurt.

glitch

#18 Post by glitch »

What threw me off the trail was that Foxtrotgps was really slow to find the internal the first time.

I read another post that said it would take 15 minutes sometimes. I left it running for 20 minutes
and it did NOT find it. I could see the data stream from S1, but no love at Foxtrot. Then I shut it down
and restarted everything and then it found it. Now it finds it quick and as soon as the satillites
are pinned down I have a fix. I even took the module out and reseated it thinking maybe a contact
was corroded or loose.

Off to the library to destroy their bandwidth loading maps. ;)
glitch

UNCNDL1

#19 Post by UNCNDL1 »

You can also reconfigure gpsd in Terminal and tell her where your gps device is located. Here's the Link:
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1319
To paraphrase: You would type this command in Terminal:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure gpsd
Typing in that command takes you to the gpsd configuration script page. Follow the directions on the above posting, and put in your gps details that Sadlmkr discovered:
"dev/ttyS2" is the setting for the Panasonic Factory gps configured on Com 3. You enter this and tab through the script and save/exit, and then run this script:
sudo service gpsd restart
Close out Terminal and re-start your system.
Foxtrot should find your location immediately and start tracking sats. :cheers:
CF-53 MX-Linux 21 Wildflower
CF-30 MK2 SSD MX-21 Betsy, MK2 Navigatrix, Fundraiser for TbT
CF-52 GUN SSD MX-19
(NICE) Thanks Sadlmkr
CF-M34 MicroWattR8 Thanks Sadlmkr
CF-M33 MicroWattR8 Thanks Springfield

Return to “The LINUX forum!!!”