Distro that's Windows looking

Due to overwhelming demand, we have created a forum just dedicated to Toughbook users who use Linux!
Shawn

Distro that's Windows looking

#1 Post by Shawn »

Windows looking? I think Xandros was..
Was the Asus tuned, EEEpc version any better/ worse?

What distro includes basic utilities?

I have a CF18 I may be looking for a distro.
Life will beat you into submission.

kode-niner

Re: Distro that's Windows looking

#2 Post by kode-niner »

I had a few EeePCs since the first 701 came out. Didn't seem Windows-like at all. It had a tiled or large icon interface for common programs that were separated and categorized by tabbed pages, but nothing like Windows 8 swipe-scrolling. It took a little fiddling around to customize those pages at first. Then we realized it was a dead end OS and no longer being updated and installed proper distros. I don't think it moved beyond Debian sarge.
Daily drives a CF-31

Shawn

#3 Post by Shawn »

Shawn wrote:Windows looking? I think Xandros was..
Was the Asus tuned, EEEpc version any better/ worse?

What distro includes basic utilities?

I have a CF18 I may be looking for a distro.

Xandros 4.1

Shawn

#4 Post by Shawn »

Think I may try Zorin 9 core edition..Downloading now.

Guess I want an ease of transition....and ready to go out of the box. I don't want to have to find browsers, doc / image software and basic utilities to install.

Zorin appears to have everything located where I would expect it from my Windows use.

UNCNDL1

#5 Post by UNCNDL1 »

Zorin's a great choice.
The "lite" has a desktop that looks like Windows 2000.
The paid version allows you to change the look to Windows7, XP, and at least one more (I think).
CF-53 MX-Linux 21 Wildflower
CF-30 MK2 SSD MX-21 Betsy, MK2 Navigatrix, Fundraiser for TbT
CF-52 GUN SSD MX-19
(NICE) Thanks Sadlmkr
CF-M34 MicroWattR8 Thanks Sadlmkr
CF-M33 MicroWattR8 Thanks Springfield

Shawn

#6 Post by Shawn »

I could not get Zorin DVD or USB stick to boot....burned the DVD using Nero..Was trying to boot on my CF52G...

Found part of the problem...USB stick was NTFS format..

Shawn

#7 Post by Shawn »

Complete fat32 format of usb stick.
Used Rufus to install iso on stick.
The stick boots on the Hp at work.
Yep I finally got a slow day by myself at work.
Zorin is very good for me. I can hit the ground running without having to run those cryptic console commands.

UNCNDL1

#8 Post by UNCNDL1 »

Shawn, great to hear you persisted! And prevailed. Certainly there are many flavours of distros out there, and some are easier than others. The cryptic console commands sometimes are needed (but not always), to do things like configure your gps, touchscreen calibration, etc. If you have a toughbook with a digitizer, the calibration should be spot on and NOT needed. Morgan and I found this true on a CF-18 Digitizer. Zorin is a great system. Some Ham Radio Toughbook guy called me awhile ago and we talked, it's his main distro for older toughbooks. That was Zorin 6, which works quite well on many older systems. This new Zorin 9, I have only tried on the 52 GUN, but it does work well on her. Glad you finally had a slow day by yourself at work. Side note, now that you have a Linux system working. Try downloading another iso of any Linux flavour. Once it is downloaded, you can either right click on the iso in download folder, or just run the dvd burner for your system. A great burner is XFBurn, it comes with many, and can be found in the software center of your distro. When making a usb bootable disk, you can just go to menu>run>usb...and the usb program will pop for you to use/create/burn...Enjoy :salute:

Best regards, Cleve
CF-53 MX-Linux 21 Wildflower
CF-30 MK2 SSD MX-21 Betsy, MK2 Navigatrix, Fundraiser for TbT
CF-52 GUN SSD MX-19
(NICE) Thanks Sadlmkr
CF-M34 MicroWattR8 Thanks Sadlmkr
CF-M33 MicroWattR8 Thanks Springfield

ADOR

#9 Post by ADOR »

On the EEC pc you had a basic mode that was more like Unity interface, then if you did the right commands you swapped it to advanced mode and and it was more like ubuntu 10.10 in looks with a basic desktop.
CF-28 MK2,Mk3 / CF-29 Mk3 / CF-30 MK2 / CF-25 Mk1 ATI / CF-19 MK3/Mk3/Mk5 / CF-U1 Mk1,Mk2 / CF-M34 Mk7/Mk3 / CF-17 Mk1 / CF-07
Voodoo Envy M355 / M360 / M515 / M780 / U703 / Voodoo Hexx / Voodoo Idol / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 "signed case" / Voodoo Omen
Alienware M11x R1, Alienware 17 R5

kode-niner

#10 Post by kode-niner »

ADOR wrote:On the EEC pc you had a basic mode that was more like Unity interface, then if you did the right commands you swapped it to advanced mode and and it was more like ubuntu 10.10 in looks with a basic desktop.
That's right! I remember now. It was still crap, though. After a few months and new Firefox/Iceweasel versions coming out (among other updates), you were totally screwed.
Daily drives a CF-31

Return to “The LINUX forum!!!”