SOLYDXK ON A CF-29HTM50BM 3 TWEAKS 9 STEPS

Due to overwhelming demand, we have created a forum just dedicated to Toughbook users who use Linux!
mklym

Re: SOLYDXK ON A CF-29HTM50BM 3 TWEAKS 9 STEPS

#21 Post by mklym »

J'd, yes I did see that SolydK64 loaded a driver for the Intel graphics ship. Good stuff.

J'd and Cleve,

There is no flicker on this CF-19RHRAG1M. The display turns itself down incrementally, but no flicker or any other anomaly with the display.

The OS installed okay, but took almost 6hrs to get it updated. Not very impressed with that.
I installed the OS onto an Intel 160GB ssd but the unit does not seem much faster, if at all faster, than the SolydX32 I have installed onto a Samsung 1/8" SATA ssd in my CF-29MK4.

I have gpsd, cutecom and FoxtrotGPS installed and working. Downloading OSM maps now.

One last observation. Nano does not seem to save the file created when closing it. Lost the calibration and psmouse settings after I rebooted.

As for installing Nx0.5 on the CF-18MK5, I keep getting errors when I download Nx0.5. The MD5 does not match. I am using a download manager in Firefox. I will try one more time overnight to download the OS again.
CF-29LTQ,CF-31SBM,CF-52youngGUN,

Life's Journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways totally worn-out shouting 'Woo Hoo! What a ride!

Motorsports - the only real sport. If it doesn't have a motor, it is just a game.

There is always something waiting at the end of the road, if you are not willing to see what it is, you probably shouldn't be out there in the first place.

SHEEPMAN!

#22 Post by SHEEPMAN! »

0030 just in from a fire. POC....2 acres woodland and grass. Eating at 0030 hours.

I'll read this tomorrow.....make that later today. LOL

o.k. nano you save with control x answer yes and enter.
Fair for you/ Fair for me.
I chose to NOT be organized.

-------------------------------------------------------------------[/color]
http://toughbooktalk.com/
http://forum.notebookreview.com/panasonic/

mklym

#23 Post by mklym »

Sorry to hear you were burning the midnight candle, J'd.

Yes, that is how I exited nano, but it did not save either the TS calibration or the psmouse settings.
Doesn't matter, I am getting rid of SolydK. The unit locked up while downloading the maps for OSM.
When I started it up this morning, the WiFi would not connect. All settings were proper.
Never did like KDE, and I still don't. Too much flash and glitter, as well as problems.
At least that is how it has been for me.
I am downloading SolydX64 and will try that, but if I am looking at another 6hrs ordeal to get the OS updated, I will wipe and format the ssd then try Nx0.5 or Mint 17.

I did get the Nx0.5 iso downloaded overnight so I will try and install it on the CF-18MK5 in the next couple of days.

Life's Journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways totally worn-out shouting 'Woo Hoo! What a ride!

Motorsports - the only real sport. If it doesn't have a motor, it is just a game.

There is always something waiting at the end of the road, if you are not willing to see what it is, you probably shouldn't be out there in the first place.

mklym

#24 Post by mklym »

I have installed SolydX64bit onto the CF-19MK4. All is well.
I got the updates in relatively easy.
FoxtrotGPS is running and downloading maps. We'll see if it locks up.
There is no display flicker under SolydX on this unit.

SHEEPMAN!

#25 Post by SHEEPMAN! »

What a puzzle. CF-29 no problem, 30MK1 problem, 30MK2 no problem, 30 MK3 problem. CF-19 MK2 no problem. Your MK4 no problem. CF-52GUN w/SSD very quick.

SHEEPMAN!

#26 Post by SHEEPMAN! »

And I have not a clue about anything.

Morgan....in a terminal type

Code: Select all

glxgears
On your CF-19 please.

All the marks are running half speed only on the 9300 you can see it. :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

Meanwhile....installed Mint 13 last evening .....not easy......medibuntu repository closed so you get a warning. (Live with it or fix it)

Morgan,
Part of the ten step thing I was doing (insert link here) suggested leafpad...... nano did not work right I have never had a problem with it until you brought it up :P ......leafpad editor did fine installing /etc/.......tion.conf

sudo apt-get install leafpad
sudo leafpad /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-calibration.conf

This stuff was working, what have they done? :eek:

Drifted off to Mint but they (mint and solyd) act the same.

TTYL

mklym

#27 Post by mklym »

I ran glxgears on the 19MK4. What was I looking for? I saw a window with the 3 rotating gears and the terminal said the program was syncronizing to the vertical refresh rate of the display, which is 60.0 Hz. Glxgears runs at 59.85, which is close enough to 60 for this cowboy. No flicker. Am I suppose to run it in the window, or full screen?

I still have Mint16 installed on another Samsung 1/8" ssd for the 29MK4. When checking out a new OS I install it onto a clean drive.
If I decide to keep it as my main OS, I still have a functioning OS as backup on the original drive.

I did get nano to save the files, but installed leafpad for future use. Thank you. I didn't mean to jinx you using nano, don't know what I did, so can't reproduce the error. :)

I have not made a final decision on keeping SolydX. For some reason I have always had problems with Debian distro. I tend to not bother with them any more, but after reading Cleves experiences with it, I decided to give it a try. SolydK is a total fail for me. Maybe it is the 64bit version, but not going to bother trying the 32bit version.

What have they done? I think it is called progress and they call them improvements. :-|

I have not tried Mint17 on the 19MK4, don't think I will. I am going to go back to the Intel 240GB ssd with W7. I will keep SolydX64 as a backup OS, as it is on an Intel 160GB ssd. W7 gives me no problems, and has all the paid-for software on it. I will run it untill it starts giving me problems.

Let me know if you want me to run glxgears again, looking for something particular.

UNCNDL1

#28 Post by UNCNDL1 »

Puzzled beyond belief here. Keep It Simple & Stupid (kiss). I have no problems right now, maybe it is because I am relaxing? Seriously, I am on Navigatrix 0.5 June and all is well, surely no problems updating as there are NO updates. No wifi needed to use this system, unless you want to shop amazon and ebay...If you need an installable disk or usb of Navigatrix, please let me know...no problemo....
CF-53 MX-Linux 21 Wildflower
CF-30 MK2 SSD MX-21 Betsy, MK2 Navigatrix, Fundraiser for TbT
CF-52 GUN SSD MX-19
(NICE) Thanks Sadlmkr
CF-M34 MicroWattR8 Thanks Sadlmkr
CF-M33 MicroWattR8 Thanks Springfield

mklym

#29 Post by mklym »

No big deal to me Cleve. The post was about my experiences with the OS, that's all. I was not saying it was your fault I was having problems with 'K'. :)
I have no installed Nx0.5 on anything yet. I am going to try it on the 18MK5, them maybe the 29MK4. I will see about making the install USB stick tonight. Thank you for the offer. If the situation changes, I'll get back to you. :)

SHEEPMAN!

#30 Post by SHEEPMAN! »

Youse guys are great. lol What a team.

No fires today just a critical incident debriefing and training day.

Our patient is out of a coma and Lord willing will continue to mend. Skull fracture. I am NOT supposed to pass this stuff on....just giving a reason for my being absent. Thanks.

Mo, I'm looking for FPS around half of normal. On 9300 MK3 you can see it. Earlier marks not visible but happening anyway. xcept MK2?

Can you run

Code: Select all

inxi -G -x 
#for me.

Heh...dinner at 11 :D

Return to “The LINUX forum!!!”