SOLYDXK ON A CF-29HTM50BM 3 TWEAKS 9 STEPS

Due to overwhelming demand, we have created a forum just dedicated to Toughbook users who use Linux!
mklym

Re: SOLYDXK ON A CF-29HTM50BM 3 TWEAKS 9 STEPS

#31 Post by mklym »

I am having no luck with installing Nx0.5 on the 18MK5. I get to the point I need to enter name, etc when the installer crashes. When it is done collecting the info to send in the crash report, it says " Problem in Ubiquity" across the top of the window and "The problem cannot be reported. This is not an official Ubuntu package. Please remove any third party package and try again." I have not installed any third party packages, I ran the installer from the desktop after first boot. I have even redone the USB stick, using Unetbootin on the 29MK4 running SolydX, and still have the same problem. I don't think the problem is in the iso, the download manager I used checked the MD5 after the download was finished and gave no error. The first iso I downloaded had MD5 errors so the manager deleted it.
Any idea what the problem might be? Has anyone encountered the installer crashing on them?
Thanks.
CF-29LTQ,CF-31SBM,CF-52youngGUN,

Life's Journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways totally worn-out shouting 'Woo Hoo! What a ride!

Motorsports - the only real sport. If it doesn't have a motor, it is just a game.

There is always something waiting at the end of the road, if you are not willing to see what it is, you probably shouldn't be out there in the first place.

UNCNDL1

#32 Post by UNCNDL1 »

Unetbiotin did not work for me- only way I could do it was download ISO in Mint/ then usb creator to burn to usb- Vlad to send you an ISO on disk and usb- what's your mailing address??
CF-53 MX-Linux 21 Wildflower
CF-30 MK2 SSD MX-21 Betsy, MK2 Navigatrix, Fundraiser for TbT
CF-52 GUN SSD MX-19
(NICE) Thanks Sadlmkr
CF-M34 MicroWattR8 Thanks Sadlmkr
CF-M33 MicroWattR8 Thanks Springfield

mklym

#33 Post by mklym »

J'd,

Here is the terminal output fromthe code I ran.

morgan@cf-19mk4solydx64:~$ inxi -G -x
Graphics: Card: Intel Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
bus-ID: 00:02.0
Display Server: X.Org 1.15.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
Resolution: 1024x768@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ironlake Mobile
GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 10.1.4 Direct Rendering: Yes
morgan@cf-19mk4solydx64:~$

Does that help?

Cleve,

Thank you for the offer but living north of the border means over a week to get here. I have put the ssd w/Mint16XFCE back into the 29MK4 and am redownloading the iso. I will make the USB drive after I finish the download. Will report back. Thanks for the info on what program to use.

Life's Journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways totally worn-out shouting 'Woo Hoo! What a ride!

Motorsports - the only real sport. If it doesn't have a motor, it is just a game.

There is always something waiting at the end of the road, if you are not willing to see what it is, you probably shouldn't be out there in the first place.

mklym

#34 Post by mklym »

Navigatrix 0.5 is installed on the CF-18MK5. I am going to have to spend some time this evening trying to get the GPS, OEM, recognised. I will go and read through the boat nav thread again. At first glance, the 18seems to run well with Nx0.5.
More later.

Thank you Cleve for the info on getting Nx onto a USB stick.

UNCNDL1

#35 Post by UNCNDL1 »

Glad to hear it Morgan.
The Nx desktop is extremely customizable. I like to "right click" on the bottom window/toolbar and change my favourites bar. I remove Skype, add Terminal and move them around. Touchscreen calibration is in the menu also. I gave up having failed miserably saving the settings in an editor with Jeff's tutorials. I just "right click" on the Touchscreen Calibrate program, and save it to desktop. It's easy enough to just run and use. Enjoy and let us know, maybe posting in the thread where it all started: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1319
Although I am not a voyager, I like to read the posts on the website and learn the operating system. It's extremely stable and works well on my 19, 30, 52, and CF-C1. No fuss and no updates required.
Best regards,
Cleve
CF-53 MX-Linux 21 Wildflower
CF-30 MK2 SSD MX-21 Betsy, MK2 Navigatrix, Fundraiser for TbT
CF-52 GUN SSD MX-19
(NICE) Thanks Sadlmkr
CF-M34 MicroWattR8 Thanks Sadlmkr
CF-M33 MicroWattR8 Thanks Springfield

kode-niner

#36 Post by kode-niner »

Snagged a couple of MK2 CF-19s lately and installed Debian LXDE. Using the xinput_calibrator as described here sorted out the touchscreen immediately. Thanks Jeff!

The only problem was that the xinput-calibrator package is not available on wheezy (stable) repos and I had to move to sid (unstable) to get it,. But if anyone ends up installing Debian stable, it ain't going to work unless you enable or pin sid repos to install xinput-calibrator, or download and compile it by hand and chase after dependencies.

Incidentally I tried Debian XFCE and the latest version doesn't work so well and Debian LXDE has caught up. It used to be XFCE was the most polished of the two. LXDE completely rocks on our old Toughbooks now and by default it runs Openbox, one of the most minimalist desktop managers around, too. On my CF-29 the latest sid LXDE went from BIOS to desktop in a less than 15 seconds. :boing:
Daily drives a CF-31

Return to “The LINUX forum!!!”