Mint 17 on a CF-18 Mk3 restarts to a black screen

Due to overwhelming demand, we have created a forum just dedicated to Toughbook users who use Linux!
kode-niner

Re: Mint 17 on a CF-18 Mk3 restarts to a black screen

#31 Post by kode-niner »

User menu definitions in Cinnamon are stored in ~/.local but the system menu on the left with the Logout and Shutdown icons are handled by /usr/bin/cinnamon-session which means finding out what happens when you click Restart on the "Shut down the system now?" dialog will require a trace or logging processes. Mobus, if you're going to try XFCE or some other variant and it works, I won't bother. However it would be interesting to know if you hang the system by typing either of these two commands.
/etc/init.d/reboot stop
or:
init 6
(sudo if you have to)

Of course, we're ignoring the obvious thing to do which would be to ask the Cinnamon devs directly.
Daily drives a CF-31

SHEEPMAN!

#32 Post by SHEEPMAN! »

Ask?

I tend to research and hammer around. :D

29MK3 worked good all afternoon with one lock up. Installed soldyxk last night for some reason....Mint too hungry.

Code: Select all

sudo init 6
did a system restart on solydx. (just now)

/etc/init.d/reboot stop
and init require sudo. Re-boot stop was a cleaner show. From test on Solydx done right now.

Thanks for this....I ran out of steam looking for it.

BTW

man init
is a good read. Thanks for that. init 6 with no sudo yields not found.

Now the screen flicker in M17? :D
Fair for you/ Fair for me.
I chose to NOT be organized.

-------------------------------------------------------------------[/color]
http://toughbooktalk.com/
http://forum.notebookreview.com/panasonic/

kode-niner

#33 Post by kode-niner »

Yeah well, obviously if you're not superuser or in a root shell, you need to use sudo. I never use sudo myself.

By the way, I'm more interested in Mobus to try those commands. You know, the guy with the problem. :D
Daily drives a CF-31

SHEEPMAN!

#34 Post by SHEEPMAN! »

:boing: Not so obvious to me as I don't have it sorted in my head yet.

Do you use a root shell from ctrl alt f1 or? I'm just learning.

The Mk3 29 is very similar to 18 mk3 I was doing it for the learning bit.

Thank you very much for your input now where's Mobus? :boing:

kode-niner

#35 Post by kode-niner »

Any terminal will do. Either I type 'su' followed by the root password or login as root to begin with. I'm a bit old school that way so seeing sudo being typed before every command is like nails on a chalkboard to me and it makes me wince. :lauging:
Daily drives a CF-31

SHEEPMAN!

#36 Post by SHEEPMAN! »

Must be my single user ignorance. (ignorance is curable) (me=adm,root,user) :D

Not arguing --- attempting to pick your brain for the right way to do it since people think I am a Linux expert. :rofl: Not an expert, just not afraid to use it.

:rofl: Better not read my SOLYDXK thread. screeeeeeech!

So you would log in as root run the calibration series and then log out. Got it, thanks. I'll edit later. :salute:

kode-niner

#37 Post by kode-niner »

Hehe, maybe I should have skipped the chalkboard comment. It's just a question of personal choice, convenience, security and how your OS is setup. When you're trying to explain to a novice user that certain commands require superuser permissions to execute, it gets difficult to explain it in certain situations so it's safer to just put "sudo" before the commands that need it so that you know the end user will be successful in following your instructions. In many cases distros will have sudo setup with nopasswd for all by default (which incidentally is highly insecure) so it's easier to lob in the occasional superuser command with sudo. Also you might not want to unleash a novice user on a root terminal if he's not completely aware of the implications, and he continues to use it even after following your instructions.

If on the other hand you have sudo setup with a password and you're prompted to enter it at each command, it just gets silly if your root password is complex (as it should be) and you have several commands to issue so then it makes more sense to save yourself some typing and go 'su' for the session. That's part of the reason why I never bother with sudo in the first place and either disable or remove it. So when I cringe when I see instructions prefaced with sudo at every command, that's just my problem. :o

Aaaaanyway, now that we've thoroughly hi-jacked Mobus' thread, I can only wonder if he's still around and got his issue fixed. :)
Daily drives a CF-31

UNCNDL1

#38 Post by UNCNDL1 »

kode-niner wrote:Hehe, maybe I should have skipped the chalkboard comment. It's just a question of personal choice, convenience, security and how your OS is setup. When you're trying to explain to a novice user that certain commands require superuser permissions to execute, it gets difficult to explain it in certain situations so it's safer to just put "sudo" before the commands that need it so that you know the end user will be successful in following your instructions. In many cases distros will have sudo setup with nopasswd for all by default (which incidentally is highly insecure) so it's easier to lob in the occasional superuser command with sudo. Also you might not want to unleash a novice user on a root terminal if he's not completely aware of the implications, and he continues to use it even after following your instructions. f on the other hand you have sudo setup with a password and you're prompted to enter it at each command, it just gets silly if your root password is complex (as it should be) and you have several commands to issue so then it makes more sense to save yourself some typing and go 'su' for the session. That's part of the reason why I never bother with sudo in the first place and either disable or remove it. So when I cringe when I see instructions prefaced with sudo at every command, that's just my problem. :o
Aaaaanyway, now that we've thoroughly hi-jacked Mobus' thread, I can only wonder if he's still around and got his issue fixed. :)
To be perfectly honest, we are very grateful someone has chimed in that know's Linux, and is patient on teaching also. Thank you so very much for chimeing in and putting in your two ents.
CF-53 MX-Linux 21 Wildflower
CF-30 MK2 SSD MX-21 Betsy, MK2 Navigatrix, Fundraiser for TbT
CF-52 GUN SSD MX-19
(NICE) Thanks Sadlmkr
CF-M34 MicroWattR8 Thanks Sadlmkr
CF-M33 MicroWattR8 Thanks Springfield

SHEEPMAN!

#39 Post by SHEEPMAN! »

kode-niner wrote:Hehe, maybe I should have skipped the chalkboard comment. It's just a question of personal choice, convenience, security and how your OS is setup. When you're trying to explain to a novice user that certain commands require superuser permissions to execute, it gets difficult to explain it in certain situations so it's safer to just put "sudo" before the commands that need it so that you know the end user will be successful in following your instructions. In many cases distros will have sudo setup with nopasswd for all by default (which incidentally is highly insecure) so it's easier to lob in the occasional superuser command with sudo. Also you might not want to unleash a novice user on a root terminal if he's not completely aware of the implications, and he continues to use it even after following your instructions.

If on the other hand you have sudo setup with a password and you're prompted to enter it at each command, it just gets silly if your root password is complex (as it should be) and you have several commands to issue so then it makes more sense to save yourself some typing and go 'su' for the session. That's part of the reason why I never bother with sudo in the first place and either disable or remove it. So when I cringe when I see instructions prefaced with sudo at every command, that's just my problem. :o

Well mobus came in this as a newbie so a little instruction can't hurt right? And we hijack threads as a matter of course. We're all friends here.
You wrote it as I think it...me a newbie teaching newbies, sudo is safer....su is a lot more convenient. What I have done is avoided getting into security issues and another level of instruction that is covered everywhere.
My goal is to keep older toughbooks working, not to teach Linux.
Thank you for the write up. :D

J'd...so where's mobus?... :salute:

Mobus

#40 Post by Mobus »

I'm still here. It was one of those 15 pound weekends in a 5 pound bag if you know what I mean. I managed to run a live disc with M17 XFCE and it seemed to work nicely until I tried to restart it. Shut down worked fine but it hung like anything else on restart. Beginning to wonder if it's just something to get used to. After all shutting down and then pushing the power switch is a restart just would like it to work as intended instead.

In any case I need to catch up on this thread a bit tonight and implement some of the thoughts you all offered in the previous posts (I skimmed over it really quick here at work). I do appreciate all the pointers and help researching this.

Thanks,
Mark

Return to “The LINUX forum!!!”