Getting CF-30 OEM GPS to work under Linux/Ubuntu

Due to overwhelming demand, we have created a forum just dedicated to Toughbook users who use Linux!
Azrial

Re: Getting CF-30 OEM GPS to work under Linux/Ubuntu

#31 Post by Azrial »

UNCNDL1 wrote:From this source: http://opencpn.org/ocpn/setting_up_gps
""xgps" is client that comes with the gpsd-clients package, and is useful for testing that the gps and gpsd is working properly. If xgps isn't working, it's a gps or gpsd problem, not an OpenCPN problem"
Thanks, I knew all of this. The question is "Is there a "connect" button/switch/setting as I have never seen it work and wanted to know if it worked automatically. I see no place to tell it which serial connection to use.
UNCNDL1 wrote:Regarding Dialout Group:
"To proceed, the "user" you use on your computer must belong to a group that is allowed to open serial connections. This group is normally "dialout" on Debian based Linuxes, including Ubuntu, and "uucp" on Red Hat based distributions. Read more in Data Connections.
Check your status by writing "groups" on a command line. The response will be all groups that the user belongs to. Make sure that "dialout" or "uucp" is included. If not, you have to add your user to this group. There are many ways to do this, one is to issue this command:
"sudo usermod -a -G dialout $USER"
There is no $ in front of the USER NAME.
UNCNDL1 wrote: When using Navigatrix, the dialout group is already added, you do not need to do that. The most you might have to do is point gpsd to Your gps (i.e. S2, or where-ever it is located). You might also have to change bios settings from auto to enable and find which of the four settings possible works for your gps.
Did all that.
UNCNDL1 wrote: Did you ever go into bios and temporarily disable BT, Fingerprint Reader, Parallel Ports?
Bluetooth, but not the other two. I will try it later tonight if it is not to busy on the job!
UNCNDL1 wrote: Did you ever go into bios and change gps from auto to enable, and try the four different settings in manual?
Thanks, but yeah, no joy!
UNCNDL1 wrote:Finishing up the deck and don't have a linux system with me, sorry I can not help out more with troubleshooting this week.
That's OK, I am super busy myself!

Thanks Guys! :D
I am what I am, somebody has to be.
Call me for free from anywhere in the USA from my homepage! http://www.azrial.com/
CF-31JEGAX1M Mk2 Intel i5-2520M 2.50 GHz, Win7x64 & Ubuntu x64 14.04LTS Dual Boot, 16GB RAM, Samsung 250GB SSD, 2x64GB USB FD, 64GB SDHC, GOBI 4000, BUGPS, IBM AC/DC Supply #22P9003

UNCNDL1

#32 Post by UNCNDL1 »

Okay, I´m on a ¨live¨ Linux (14.04) Navigatrix 0.5 usb disk, and this is with Jeffś MK2 CF-30FCS85AM, Bios V2.00L14, Embedded Controller V2.00L11, TS mode auto, status Tablet, All serial and parallel port settings set to Auto except for GPS, which I set to Enable, and chose: 0x3e8 irq 11, which I believe to be ttyS2 (com3 for Windows). I ran OPNCPN and went to top toolbar (wrench), options, connections, and added a connection. I chose /dev/ttyS2, apply, ok. Exited the program, opened it again, and the OPNCPN nav map program found my gps location. I had to zoom out to show the location on the map. This shows that the Panasonic CF-30 gps works off of a live linux disk and can show location. I do not yet know about FoxTrotGPS, nor XGPS, but at least when configuring settings for OPNCPN, the gps is in fact working. I´m going to try this out now on an extra hard drive and caddy. Best Regards, Cleve
Attachments
Screenshot is of the OPNCPN settings page showing my settings and the map showing location.
Screenshot is of the OPNCPN settings page showing my settings and the map showing location.
2014-07-01_142617_1024x768.png (116.3 KiB) Viewed 11032 times
CF-53 MX-Linux 21 Wildflower
CF-30 MK2 SSD MX-21 Betsy, MK2 Navigatrix, Fundraiser for TbT
CF-52 GUN SSD MX-19
(NICE) Thanks Sadlmkr
CF-M34 MicroWattR8 Thanks Sadlmkr
CF-M33 MicroWattR8 Thanks Springfield

Azrial

#33 Post by Azrial »

Damn it Cleve!

You all have worked so hard to help me resolve this! I was going to get back to it after this test I have been prepping for! Based on your kind work I will now have to take part of the holiday weekend to try this! I had been content to tell myself that nobody has been successful in getting GPS to work under Linux on a Mk2!!! Sincerely, Thanks!
Call me for free from anywhere in the USA from my homepage! http://www.azrial.com/
CF-31JEGAX1M Mk2 Intel i5-2520M 2.50 GHz, Win7x64 & Ubuntu x64 14.04LTS Dual Boot, 16GB RAM, Samsung 250GB SSD, 2x64GB USB FD, 64GB SDHC, GOBI 4000, BUGPS, IBM AC/DC Supply #22P9003

UNCNDL1

#34 Post by UNCNDL1 »

Not a problem, I know you're studying hard. It just bothered me, as it should be easy, right? I'm thinking that your fingerprint reader/bluetooth/or something might be conflicting with the gps while in your dual boot mode. This is as far as I got for now, I know it works on the above MK2, but you might have other options. I'm working on loading maps via FoxtrotGPS & OPNcpn programs, and will report back in the future. Everyone have a safe 4th of July, it's very wet here in the North East!
CF-52 GUN SSD MX-19
(NICE) Thanks Sadlmkr

SHEEPMAN!

#35 Post by SHEEPMAN! »

Now why didn't I remember the fingerprint reader?

Bill, send me output from terminal $ dmesg | grep input
You can run the command and cut and paste the text.

For grins here is my M34:mm@mmcfm34
~ $ dmesg | grep input
[ 2.684001] input: AT Translated Set 2 keyboard as /devices/platform/i8042/serio0/input/input0
[ 2.923508] input: Power Button as /devices/LNXSYSTM:00/device:00/PNP0C0C:00/input/input1
[ 2.955337] input: Video Bus as /devices/LNXSYSTM:00/device:00/PNP0A03:00/LNXVIDEO:00/input/input2
[ 2.955581] input: Lid Switch as /devices/LNXSYSTM:00/device:00/PNP0C0D:00/input/input3
[ 2.973670] input: Power Button as /devices/LNXSYSTM:00/LNXPWRBN:00/input/input4
[ 9.709654] input: Panasonic Laptop Support as /devices/virtual/input/input5
[ 9.948219] input: PC Speaker as /devices/platform/pcspkr/input/input6
[ 11.119310] input: PS/2 Generic Mouse as /devices/platform/i8042/serio4/input/input7
[ 28.519914] input: ACPI Virtual Keyboard Device as /devices/virtual/input/input8
Fair for you/ Fair for me.
I chose to NOT be organized.

-------------------------------------------------------------------[/color]
http://toughbooktalk.com/
http://forum.notebookreview.com/panasonic/

Azrial

#36 Post by Azrial »

OK, I know that this is a less than satisfying ending to this Odyssey, but the good news is, my GPS is now working under Ubuntu!

The bad news is I have no idea why!

I have been laid up this weekend with food poisoning or some kind of 48 hour bug and so I started working on these types of projects. I reloaded GPSD and it again took a LONG time to completely load with FoxTrot and when I got it I instantly got a lock with 9 satellites while inside my home. I also got a fix with Mapquest online.

Thanks to everyone that has helped me with this, my support here has been amazing!

SHEEPMAN!

#37 Post by SHEEPMAN! »

W00t!
Fair for you/ Fair for me.
I chose to NOT be organized.

-------------------------------------------------------------------[/color]
http://toughbooktalk.com/
http://forum.notebookreview.com/panasonic/

UNCNDL1

#38 Post by UNCNDL1 »

Bill, so glad to hear all is well in HotLanta now on the MK2 CF-30 and your dual boot system. Normally I do not like multi booting however, I am on Jeff's 52 GUN with a triple boot of Mint, Zorin6, and Navigatrix. Yes, the touchscreen has been calibrated in all three distros, thanks to his post found here: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1960
Trial and error is key, no gurus here at my abode. :salute:
CF-52 GUN SSD MX-19
(NICE) Thanks Sadlmkr

Azrial

#39 Post by Azrial »

Sounds like fun! I am thinking of installing Mint13XFCE on this GETAC ML220 I am resurrecting and trying to make useful again.

I am glad that it is working but I really wish I knew what the problem was!!!

Return to “The LINUX forum!!!”