CF-28SUJGVKKM / GPS / LINUX /

Due to overwhelming demand, we have created a forum just dedicated to Toughbook users who use Linux!
UNCNDL1

CF-28SUJGVKKM / GPS / LINUX /

#1 Post by UNCNDL1 »

I started a new project on an older Toughbook, mainly to see how a P3 would work with Linux. This is the model and factory specs: Model Number: CF-28SUJGVKM Status: DISCONTINUED MSRP: $6,001
Description: P3-1GHz, 13.3"Transmissive-TOUCH, 30GB, 256, FDD, 56K, Ethernet NIC, Cisco Wireless LAN 802.11b, Whip Antenna, GPS, FILM, CF-WKB281M (Factory EL backlit), Win XP.
I read through some of the Linux articles referenced on this site, as well as this one:
http://www.renewablepcs.com
I tried without success loading Ubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Mint, Peppermint, Navigatrix. Either the install would hang right towards the end of installation, or if it did load the screen would suddenly change colors slowly and go blank.
I went back through the distros of Mint, and tried 10-13, non of which would load. However, Mint 9 did (and does) load and work. Whew!
The Cisco wifi "built in" inside a hidden pcmci socket turns on, and finds networks but would not connect. A SMC wireless cardbus adapter 802.11 does work and connects to the home network. One nagging thing is that the Cisco card keeps trying to connect and the system asks for the password, which I just cancel each time it pops up.
This unit has touchscreen (working but needed calibrating). Xinput_Calibrator needed to be added and was unavailable in Software Manager. I searched "xinput_calibrator" and found this site:
https://launchpad.net/~tias/+archive/xi ... brator-ppa
Which showed me how to add the touchscreen calibration program to the CF-28 Mint 9 project.
Basically you go into Software Manager > Edit > Sources > Add > and copy-paste the lines it tells you to.
Now touch is working, but you need a program "gpsd" to use your gps in Linux.
Gpsd is loaded (or at least available) in new Linux distros, but NOT in Mint 9. Go figure!
I searched for and found this: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+ppas
Once I had gpsd & xinput calibrator added, I ran updates and found that FoxtrotGPS is NOT in the software center either, bummer! TangoGPS however is. FoxtrotGPS is an offshoot of TangoGPS.
Now to my gps question. In all my reading i see that the Panasonic gps reference CN GX 0100A is an 8 channel receiver with a battery back-up. If the battery is dead, the gps has to re-initialize each time the system is turned on, which can be a lengthy wait.
I'm troubleshooting the gps, and wondering what com port it is installed on? I know com3 baud 4800 is the usual for a CF-19 & CF-30. It sits right under the bottom cover and ToughBook battery, and is easy to get to. I need to research the GPS battery, it has a yellow and black wire going to it and is wrapped in yellow plastic. Anyone know how to change it? Seems to be attached to the yellow board under the ToughBook battery on top of the GPS board. Maybe it would be better just to install a newer gps in place of what's there. At any rate, I'd like to try the battery change and see if I can get it to start/initialize. I found from this post here how to access my hidden pcmci slot and the Cisco wifi card:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/panason ... one-3.html
This picture referenced shows how to remove the screws to open the side port and remove the card. That came out easily. I'd like to either replace that card (any suggestions?). Also, in the picture is shows the combo card to the left and it says to "put wireless" here. I assume that is a different kind of card that will work as wifi also? I'll research that as well before getting a card to replace the Cisco hidden card.
Any and all advice appreciated. Thanks. Anyone needing help installing a PPA just holler :clapping:
Last edited by UNCNDL1 on Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CF-53 MX-Linux 21 Wildflower
CF-30 MK2 SSD MX-21 Betsy, MK2 Navigatrix, Fundraiser for TbT
CF-52 GUN SSD MX-19
(NICE) Thanks Sadlmkr
CF-M34 MicroWattR8 Thanks Sadlmkr
CF-M33 MicroWattR8 Thanks Springfield

UNCNDL1

Re: CF-28SUJGVKKM / GPS / LINUX / Mint 9 Project/ Question(s

#2 Post by UNCNDL1 »

Whew, re-read all the CF-28 posts on toughbooktalk and notebookforums, and found the "hidden" pcmci cisco card (11mbs). Removed it and now NO conflicts with the SMC cardbus adapter, wireless now working great!. Still have NOT found how to change the battery on the factory gps, any specs greatly appreciated! I found an older version of Navigatrix 0.4 and installed it and it works! right out of the box, no screen issues like I had with 0.5.
CF-52 GUN SSD MX-19
(NICE) Thanks Sadlmkr

SHEEPMAN!

#3 Post by SHEEPMAN! »

For grins you might see what $dmesg says about INTEL.

Code: Select all

dmesg | grep Intel
Compare to CF-30.

fh@Watt-CF-19FHGAXAM:~$ dmesg | grep Intel
[ 0.000000] Intel GenuineIntel
[ 0.093333] smpboot: CPU0: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU U7500 @ 1.06GHz (fam: 06, model: 0f, stepping: 0d)
[ 0.096000] Performance Events: PEBS fmt0+, 4-deep LBR, Core2 events, Intel PMU driver.
[ 1.754233] agpgart-intel 0000:00:00.0: Intel 965GM Chipset
[ 13.643227] iwl4965: Intel(R) Wireless WiFi 4965 driver for Linux, in-tree:
[ 13.643233] iwl4965: Copyright(c) 2003-2011 Intel Corporation
[ 13.643429] iwl4965 0000:0b:00.0: Detected Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN, REV=0x4

You should see that Iwl show up. (which would be the resident driver)

Or /and

Code: Select all

dmesg | grep iwl

For those just learning, dmesg lists the hardware seen and what the kernel did/tried to do with it. That's dmesg[space][shifted backslash][space] Happens every time you boot.

J'd
Fair for you/ Fair for me.
I chose to NOT be organized.

-------------------------------------------------------------------[/color]
http://toughbooktalk.com/
http://forum.notebookreview.com/panasonic/

UNCNDL1

#4 Post by UNCNDL1 »

Thanks Jeff, I had forgotton that script you had talked about before. I took it a step further and went into bios and disabled everything except gps and then ran
dmesg | grep
I found that the gps is on S3.
I still can NOT get her to start, I think the battery needs changing. Still trying to find the correct one to soruce/order. BTW, the USB dongle gps that I have locks right in and works great on USB0.
Good stuff, thanks again.
CF-52 GUN SSD MX-19
(NICE) Thanks Sadlmkr

UNCNDL1

#5 Post by UNCNDL1 »

Update, Battery did NOT help. Getting ready to delve beneath the battery and investigate the "daughter board"....eeeeek!
CF-52 GUN SSD MX-19
(NICE) Thanks Sadlmkr

Springfield

#6 Post by Springfield »

UNCNDL1 wrote:I started a new project on an older Toughbook ... CF-28SUJGVKM
Wow, back in the day I would have given my eyeteeth for a 28 loaded like that! Few had factory GPS back then.

Really appreciate all your efforts to find compatible Linux, and the tip about Navigatrix 0.4. I've been trying to load 0.5 on a M34 Mk7 but had display issues. 0.4 might work there also.

You can control the hidden card slot from the keyboard with Ctrl-Enter (toggles power on/off). Easy way to keep the Cisco wifi-b quiet till you need it. Ancient knowledge nobody needs anymore.

I have a few old 28 1Ghz with 768MB mem that sure could use something. Just might have to try Mint 9.

Thanks Cleve! :salute:
ToughBooks: CF-74 73 53 52 51 31 30 29 28 27 25 19 18 08 07 C1 C2 F9 H1 M32 M33 M34 R2 S10 T8 T5 T4 T2 U1 W2 Y2 VDW07 PDRC ...
GoBooks: VR-2, XR-1, IX-260+, IX-350

UNCNDL1

#7 Post by UNCNDL1 »

Hey Springfield, Mint 9 works, but you can NOT update it to the latest repositories, which is why I settled on navigatrix 0.4 for the CF-28. Mint 9 worked just as well, however you must be willing to tweak things, so to speak. All most people want is getting on the internet (safely) and maybe a few office projects, right? Please let us know as I do NOT have a CF-34 to try.
CF-52 GUN SSD MX-19
(NICE) Thanks Sadlmkr

UNCNDL1

#8 Post by UNCNDL1 »

Thanks again for the Ctrl-Enter Ancient knowledge, it was bugging me big time till I removed the factory Cisco Card!
Seriously, Mint 9 and Nav 0.4 load and work just fine, you just need to go into Synaptic Package Manager and uncheck several boxes to keep it from updating in Mint. Navigatrix 0.4 is based on Ubuntu 12 or 13 (not sure which), but works just fine on the trusty CF-28. I have several CD's not doing any good here that I'd be glad to ship your way for nothing more than just "paying it forward". Let me know, I'd like to help.
:salute:
Cleve
Springfield wrote:
UNCNDL1 wrote:I started a new project on an older Toughbook ... CF-28SUJGVKM
Wow, back in the day I would have given my eyeteeth for a 28 loaded like that! Few had factory GPS back then.
Really appreciate all your efforts to find compatible Linux, and the tip about Navigatrix 0.4. I've been trying to load 0.5 on a M34 Mk7 but had display issues. 0.4 might work there also.
You can control the hidden card slot from the keyboard with Ctrl-Enter (toggles power on/off). Easy way to keep the Cisco wifi-b quiet till you need it. Ancient knowledge nobody needs anymore.
I have a few old 28 1Ghz with 768MB mem that sure could use something. Just might have to try Mint 9.
Thanks Cleve! :salute:
CF-52 GUN SSD MX-19
(NICE) Thanks Sadlmkr

UNCNDL1

#9 Post by UNCNDL1 »

CF-28 update: I just loaded Lubuntu 14.04.1 LTS (good till 2019) and she's working fine! It's a little slow booting up, but once you get to the log-in screen and post your password, everything seems to quickly load, including wireless. I followed Jeff's instructions here to calibrate the touchscreen: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1960
One thing I did differently after running the Xinput_Calibrator program is to open a "second" Terminal, and run the editor:
sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-calibration.conf
I then cut and pasted my re-calibration results as described in his post.
This is great news for CF-28 owners, as it seems the newest version of Lubuntu now works!
Edit/update: After software updates, system was "buggy" and slower than slow. Also, sound did NOT work in firefox browser. Will have to look into these problems. Good news is Navigatrix 0.4 loaded right up and now sound works in the browser, as well as touchscreen. More to follow :pat:
CF-52 GUN SSD MX-19
(NICE) Thanks Sadlmkr

UNCNDL1

#10 Post by UNCNDL1 »

Still looking for alternative operating systems. Others please chime in and report back. I just ordered extra caddy's and will plug a few hard drives into them and try some more. For now Mint 9 and Navigatrix 0.4 seem to work quite well on this little P3.
CF-52 GUN SSD MX-19
(NICE) Thanks Sadlmkr

Return to “The LINUX forum!!!”