CF-30 WWAN

Due to overwhelming demand, we have created a forum just dedicated to Toughbook users who use Linux!
kode-niner

Re: CF-30 WWAN

#11 Post by kode-niner »

mklym wrote:No rush, when time allows. It is something I want to get running once I can buy a sim card, hoping next month sometime.
Which carrier/network do you intend to use?
Daily drives a CF-31

kode-niner

#12 Post by kode-niner »

Blaaah, I mistakenly bought a Huawei EM820W that was falsely advertised as Huawei EM820U. And to top it off, it was carrier locked to AT&T. Seller refunded me (less shipping) and told me to keep it, so I won't make a fuss. However..... I found a website that generates Huawei unlock codes this morning so I gave it a shot. It worked! In so doing I learned a few tricks on how WWAN modems work.

This tells you if the modem is locked. You need a SIM card installed for these modem commands to work although it doesn't need to be from the locked carrier. Of course, use a modem terminal app or "screen /dev/ttyUSB2" in Linux. You may also need to type ATE1 to echo what you're typing.

Code: Select all

AT+CLCK:"PN",2
It will return CLCK:1 if locked or CLCK:0 if unlocked.

This lists the carriers and networks that the modem is locked to.

Code: Select all

AT^CARDLOCK=?
You get a list of one or more 5 to 6 digit Mobile Country Codes/Mobile Network Codes. This wiki helps you make sense of them: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_country_code . For example 310170 means 310 for United States and 170 for AT&T GSM 1900. Note that even if your modem is unlocked, it may still have been designed specifically with a mobile carrier in mind so the MCCMNC codes won't disappear after you unlock it.

Add the Huawei EM820W to the list of working WWAN modules for the CF-30 (and CF-19 of course)! I tried it out with my Koodo SIM and it worked. It did not work with Videotron which means this might not work with T-Mobile stateside.
Daily drives a CF-31

kode-niner

#13 Post by kode-niner »

Updated first post.
Daily drives a CF-31

Return to “The LINUX forum!!!”