20" 4k Toughpad review?

Post all questions and information about the 20" 4K Windows tablet in here.
Reckless

Re: 20" 4k Toughpad review?

#11 Post by Reckless »

can anyone tell me what type of hard drive the mb5 uses? mSata or Sata?
Toughbook Collection:
RZ4, NX2, NX, AX2, B11, B10, N10, N8, W4, T5, T4, T2, T1, Y4, S4, R1, R9
(Direct from the Land of the Rising Sun)

ToughPad Collection:
MB5 4k, MB5 4k Prototype

Touch Monitors & Displays:
Pixelsense: Microsoft Surface 2.0 Tables
Sharp Interactive Aquos Board 70"

Reckless

#12 Post by Reckless »

Nevermind, its mSata. I checked the hard drive model number inside the machine.

Just ordered a 1 TB mSata Samsung Evo for the tablet. I replaced one in my AX2, I hope it works the same in my Toughpads.
Toughbook Collection:

ToughPad Collection:
MB5 4k, MB5 4k Prototype

CliC

#13 Post by CliC »

Reckless wrote:
toughasnails wrote:Holy crap....that was a steal
I don't know, I wish it was I just bought a second one for $2600 but it was an early production model with 4GB ram and 128GB hd and 600 hours on it. They are worth $2500 in my book but $5-6k is to much but I haven't seen a better screen on any other device. The images have depth to them.

is there such a thing as a 4k monitor?
I agree about the pricing on those. I'm still trying to understand Panasonic's pricing. I got my FZ-G1 through a relative; his company was buying a good lot of them so the price was better than the $2500 or so I was seeing on the Internet. When it arrived, I saw a sticker on the box (shipped from Taiwan) that listed the price at approximately $1300 US. That was a good bit less than the price I paid, and more reasonable for what you get in my book. I can't imagine shipping and dealer margins fully explain what these things cost here. And eBay pricing such as you mention makes the picture even fuzzier.

Heck, I think Panasonic would sell a ton of these things at prices like what was on that box (2-3x the price of a "standard" similarly-spec'd laptop rather than 5x+) because they are quality machines. If I ever travel to Asia, I'm stopping by Japan or Taiwan and doing some shopping :).

Let us know how they work out. I had it bad for one of these when they were announced, but couldn't begin to justify the cost.

On another topic, 4k monitors exist. Dell has a couple.

Reckless

#14 Post by Reckless »

The more I use it the more I like it. In fact even though I have some awesome toughbooks, I feel the 4k has rendered them obsolete. I havent used them in a week of having the 4k toughpad except once and when I did it felt archaic. In the last 15 years I have had toughbooks, never has panasonic been the first to make the best quality screen. It is simply amazing and can be breath taking when using 4k content.

20" is hard to get used to and typing on it is not as easy as I'd like (i am one of the few who hate typing on touch screens but it is bearable when sitting down because of the large screen. It is awkwardly sized which makes it scary walking around with it.

I actually do believe its worth the $6k price but not everyone can afford it. At $2500 its a no brainer to buy. I am deeply in love with it but still getting used to its nuances. Chief among them is the awkwardness of carrying it around and fear of breaking. Unfortunately no case exists for it to protect in a fall, which I think is very foolish of Panasonic for not designing a rugged case for it, like one of those military ones.

Sound levels are very low as speakers are rear mounted and can be blocked easily. It does make it hard to male presentations because of it. It does grab everyones attention but I wish there was more 4k content available and first thing I am going to do is rip the 128gb hard drive out of mine and replace it with a tb. My dad has 256gb and his is faster but he doesn't need that much space.
Toughbook Collection:

ToughPad Collection:
MB5 4k, MB5 4k Prototype

rrtek

#15 Post by rrtek »

The guys of notebookcheck did a nice review of the UT-MB5.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Panasonic- ... 517.0.html
Regards.

Reckless

#16 Post by Reckless »

It's a good review but the product is soo much cooler than they describe. Only thing is how painful it can be to type on for long conversations. Also battery life is closer to 30 minutes than an hour at full brightness.
Toughbook Collection:

ToughPad Collection:
MB5 4k, MB5 4k Prototype

Return to “UT-MB5 / FZ-Y1 20" 4K Toughpad Talk (Discontinued Models)”