Install and boot problems

Post all questions and information about the CF-19 in here.
LarsL

Install and boot problems

#1 Post by LarsL »

Boot and installation problems.

I finally got a LCD for my CF-19 MK6 i5 and had it changed. A little problems, since the touch screen contact and the connector to the inverter board were unplugged in the screen, but it eventually resolved after some troubleshooting.

Now there are some other problems. I started the computer, made it work. Booted a number of times, but after a while there was a crash dump and it has now got it in a MS bitlocker mode. Even though I have the window password (in Windows 7) I can log in to the computer.

Have contacted previous owners but they do not know about the bitlocker password (48 digits). If I go into F2 setup in bios, it also asks for a bios password which both I and previous owners don’t have.

Therefore, cant boot it up on a USB stick.

Therefore, removed the disk. Took another disk, did a format and added the Windows 10 installation file, by using the Microsoft's tool to create a boot disk. This to do a clean Windows 10 install.

The problem is at the same time that at startup, the computer says.

PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel Boot Agent

Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected device and press a key.

Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Shawn

Re: Install and boot problems

#2 Post by Shawn »

On any mk6 I have had, The only way to repair a BIOS password was to replace the bios chip.

You could try to install windows on a different machine and swap the drive into the mk6.

I suggest using windows 7 for this.
Life will beat you into submission.

Shawn

#3 Post by Shawn »

If all else fails, I have a motherboard here. As far as I know it is unlocked.

LarsL

#4 Post by LarsL »

Shawn wrote:If all else fails, I have a motherboard here. As far as I know it is unlocked.
Shawn, I’m not absolutely sure if it´s a MK6 or a MK7, the serieal number starts with CF-195HA

Is it hard to swap the bios chip, or could a discounted cmos battery solve the problem?

However, since the boot order should be HDD as first, it should boot up on an hard drive with ans image on it, and be able to start the installation from that unit, or am I wrong?

LarsL

#5 Post by LarsL »

The thing is, it still boots up via the old disk, but I am unable to log in. When trying to do so, using the same password as in the past, it makes a crash dump, and then says, it’s locked by bitlocker.

Swapping windows from one machine to another, by swapping disks, it will only say that it an illegal copy, when moved.

Shawn

#6 Post by Shawn »

CF-195 is a mk7.
mk6 board should work.
Bios chip replacement requires the motherboard to be removed. Then the old chip cut off and a new one soldered on.

After hard drive is swapped, go to control panel then system, scroll to bottom and locate link to click to enter new key. Enter key from COA sticker. Reactivate and all is well. Personally have done this.

LarsL

#7 Post by LarsL »

Thanks Shawn.

It was originally configured with Windows 7 Pro, but underneath it says Windows 8.1 though on the sticker. However, there is no Windows serial number, so it could not be de-activated. I planned to put in an SSD to increase the speed of the computer and upgrade the memory to maxium. An operation I have made in the past, for friends using a migration tool, making a clone with good results.

However, I still can’t figure it out why it doesn’t boot up. If the hard drive where set to be the HDD as the one and only boot device, it should boot up, since the disk is made with the image by Microsoft tool.

Amazing that one cannot flash the bios.

I am grateful for your offer, but will investigate if it could not be solved with software, since changing hardware as a motherboard to a MK6 not only will make it a little bit slower, but also are some work.

I have removed the original disk. Mounted it as a secondary drive on another computer, but since its locked, by Bitlocker, I can’t access it.

Shawn

#8 Post by Shawn »

I am guessing some of the problem comes from secureboot.
It is a "feature" of win 8 and win 10. It is enabled/disabled in the bios.
If enabled it will pretty much eliminate the possibility of a non secureboot os from being installed.

I worked on finding a software flash solution for months. I bricked several motherboards in my attempts.

A while back I bought a used CF31 that had bitlocker enabled with a locked bios. That machine ate 3 of my hard drives before I realized what the problem was. I tried many different programs to attempt to recover those drives. Ended up tossing them.

LarsL

#9 Post by LarsL »

It would be extremely interesting to get an working Windows 7 and from that make an identical cloned disc. On that hard drive (with a working installation) test to upgrade to Windows 10.

I would however, be pleased with a working Windows 7 installation on the computer. Shawn, I want to emphasize, I believe in what you write.

I will try to make a Windows 7 installation hard drive and boot from it. If it doesn’t work, maybe I can ask someone in here to kindly make a Windows 7 installation if I send over a disk with return postage payed.

User32

#10 Post by User32 »

Shawn wrote:I am guessing some of the problem comes from secureboot.
It is a "feature" of win 8 and win 10. It is enabled/disabled in the bios.
If enabled it will pretty much eliminate the possibility of a non secureboot os from being installed.

I worked on finding a software flash solution for months. I bricked several motherboards in my attempts.

A while back I bought a used CF31 that had bitlocker enabled with a locked bios. That machine ate 3 of my hard drives before I realized what the problem was. I tried many different programs to attempt to recover those drives. Ended up tossing them.
Have you tried a low-level format?

Return to “CF-19 Talk (Discontinued Model)”