My new CF-19 MK5 Build, and maybe a redo on my MK1...

Post all questions and information about the CF-19 in here.
thewanderlustking

My new CF-19 MK5 Build, and maybe a redo on my MK1...

#1 Post by thewanderlustking »

Over here I started a thread asking what version to get: I think the consensus was biased towards the MK6 vs the MK5. But most importantly, I got enough information to feel comfortable with the differences. I went with a MK5 that I managed to get for $150!

And even before I have plugged it in or put a battery and drive caddy into it, I could not be happier! First off this computer is PRISTINE! Not a SINGLE dent, ding, scratch, or any other blemish that I can find!!! In fact it is so nice, I am likely buying a second one! I could easily resell it if I decided not to be greedy.

And then the bonus. I am a bit of a tech geek and into drones amongst other things. So for a while now I have had some Air Combat Command stickers on my watch list. With the specific purpose of wanting to remove the Toughbook lid badge and put that there. Well this is a GENUINE MIL-STD-810G Air Combat Command laptop! And at a quick glance, it is decked out too!

There is a SIM card slot underneath the headphone and mic jacks. So pretty good change it has a WWAN sled in it. I can't wait to power it up, but so stoked I wanted to share first!

The bad (so far). Well it was supposed to come with AC adapter and battery. But no HDD or caddy. It came with NONE of them.... I will contact the seller and hopefully that gets sorted out. If so, I am more than willing to buy another from him.

My MK1... I need to do something with it. No idea WHAT yet though. For the moment I will be stealing parts off of it to get the MK5 running. I have a MK1 XP recovery disc, so at least a way to load something into it quickly. If I even use the HDD from it. Currently, it is loaded with W7 32 bit. That is not a small feat to accomplish as many of you know, so I won't likely mess with that drive now.

This might be the machine I run a dedicated linux install on. I need to do something to speed it up and keep it relevant.

For the MK5, I have the drive currently in my CF-30. It needs to be nuked as that drive is infected. But it will be perfect to get the MK5 up and going for now at least. I think I want to put a SSD or hybrid drive into it.

Does anyone have a CF-19 MK5 W7 recovery disc???
CF-3110778CM, CF-19ADUU51M

thewanderlustking

Re: My new CF-19 MK5 Build, and maybe a redo on my MK1...

#2 Post by thewanderlustking »

Okay I am powered up! As far as I can tell, everything looks nice. Nice and black screen on boot, and no bad LCD spots I can see in the bios menus.

My first question:

So I have it powered up into bios. Everything mostly looks kosher. I was concerned as it looked like a custom bios. It is from Aptio. And as stated, it is ex-military for sure. I can post up the data if anyone can shed some light on that, but pretty safe bet it is custom.

The question is under Available Memory it states 3982 MB (3496 MB for 32 bit OS), exactly what does this mean? I would assume it is all business as usual and that bios is not going to prevent me from installing 64 bit, but still a little concerned there.

Second question:

Access Level is listed as Supervisor. As far as I can tell, I have access to everything and all is well. Except one menu...

Optional Kit Configuration. What is this? I am asked to "enter the password." Under security menu for Embedded Security and AMT Configuration it ells me "supervisor password is required." Obviously setting one gets me into these, but I am locked out of this "Optional Kit Configuration" menu still.

Anyone know what this is, and how I can get into it? Or even if I ever need to?

ADOR

#3 Post by ADOR »

I have the same model. Just wish the lid badge want damaged. (Scratched up) my second unit the badge was missing but it came with 64 bit windows 10 on it and 8gb of ram so that shouldn't be a problem. The Wifi card ant a Intel. They had wireless security issues so the military had a anthros card in there.
CF-28 MK2,Mk3 / CF-29 Mk3 / CF-30 MK2 / CF-25 Mk1 ATI / CF-19 MK3/Mk3/Mk5 / CF-U1 Mk1,Mk2 / CF-M34 Mk7/Mk3 / CF-17 Mk1 / CF-07
Voodoo Envy M355 / M360 / M515 / M780 / U703 / Voodoo Hexx / Voodoo Idol / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 "signed case" / Voodoo Omen
Alienware M11x R1, Alienware 17 R5

Karl Klammer

#4 Post by Karl Klammer »

congrats on your new gear. how many hours does it have?

1st question: 32bit os cannot address memory above 3...4gb, maybe 6 when using some PAE kludges
2nd question: that is where your friendly field technican configures the *cough* toughkit *cough*

ideas for mk1:
- car dock for use as navigation system
- pcmcia nic for use as bsd/linux firewall/router/access point(hostapd)/transparent TOR proxy -- my current usecase for cf19mk3
- hightech tray for serving drinks
- nightlight

Shawn

#5 Post by Shawn »

I am a 32 bit kind of guy for Windows installs.
Most people NEVER need 64bit.
32bit with 4gb ram
For a 64 bit install I want 6-8gb to equal 32bit with 4gb performance.

I have been known to run Linux Zorin 64bit.

As far as SSD's,
I have used PNY, Kingston, Sandisk,Intel, Samsung,Toshiba
Find a good price on a name brand and go with it. The speed won't matter that much on a Toughbook anyway.
Life will beat you into submission.

User32

#6 Post by User32 »

Shawn wrote:I am a 32 bit kind of guy for Windows installs.
Most people NEVER need 64bit.
32bit with 4gb ram
For a 64 bit install I want 6-8gb to equal 32bit with 4gb performance.

I have been known to run Linux Zorin 64bit.

As far as SSD's,
I have used PNY, Kingston, Sandisk,Intel, Samsung,Toshiba
Find a good price on a name brand and go with it. The speed won't matter that much on a Toughbook anyway.
Everything aside from Samsung are trash SSDs, period.

I got a Samsung 840 Evo in my 31 and I don't want any other brand SSD.

Shawn

#7 Post by Shawn »

User32 wrote:..
Everything aside from Samsung are trash SSDs, period.

I got a Samsung 840 Evo in my 31 and I don't want any other brand SSD.

Thanks for sharing....
Life will beat you into submission.

thewanderlustking

#8 Post by thewanderlustking »

Funny how this cycle repeats itself... I eventually upgraded the MK5 to a MK6. Then sold the MK6 and now the MK1 is on its way back to me. I bought a MK5, again. The MK1 is supplying parts and possibly case swapping the orange. Might as well. The Orange Beastie MK1 has gone away and come back a few times now...

Return to “CF-19 Talk (Discontinued Model)”