Guide to OpenBSD 5.9 on Toughbook 19 mk6 and mk3

Post all questions and information about the CF-19 in here.
Karl Klammer

Re: Guide to OpenBSD 5.9 on Toughbook 19 mk6 and mk3

#11 Post by Karl Klammer »

I'm usually running at 10-20pct brightness with occasional 40% bursts for videos

apm -A does my autoscaling and usually idles at 1200mhz (lowest settings)., except for intensive stuff like youtube
https://calomel.org/apm_control.html describes the algorithm as follows:
Apm will increase the cpu speed 50% every second if the load is over 70% usage. Once the cpu load drops under 70%, apm will decrease the cpu speed 20% every second till the cpu is at its lowest speed.

I'm happy with battery life so far, even if it's only about 70% of what Windows 7 used to do.

EDIT 20160530
I've improved on the xlock/apm solution and discovered a way for making touchscreen calibration persistent across reboots.

I couldn't find any offline GPS routing application for OpenBSD: Basically there is only foxtrotgps, which still requires a webservice and thus internet connectivity for route calculation.
Let's see if I can get MapFactor or Garmin to work with qemu-Windows .. as there is neither Wine nor Virtualbox for OpenBSD.

This OpenBSD revival has been a wonderful experience so far. :cheers: HUMPPA to that.
The system has come a long way regarding hardware support, yet I still got to play around with fun stuff like AT modem commands and X11 APIs,
Just today, I rejoiced after discovering that a small perl script, which I wrote literally ten years ago, has found its way into the ports tree.

Karl Klammer

#12 Post by Karl Klammer »

added section "Laptop tweaks :: GPS as Navigator" aka "If you wish to use turn-by-turn offline navigation on OpenBSD, you must first emulate the universe."

kode-niner

#13 Post by kode-niner »

Karl Klammer wrote:I wanted something a bit more refined ... to paraphrase Carl Sagan:
If you wish to use turn-by-turn offline navigation on OpenBSD, you must first emulate the universe.
Thus I'm running MapFactor PC Navigator 15 Free,
on top of a emulated Windows environment,
on top of Systemd,
on top of Linux,
on top of a emulated x64 computer,
on top of a barely SMP-aware research operating system,
on top of a passively cooled mobile processor.
It is about as slow as my description suggests it to be ... but it works ;-)
OK that's just slightly insane. About a year ago I heard that someone was able to compile navit natively on OpenBSD, though I cannot find that information anymore.
Daily drives a CF-31

Karl Klammer

#14 Post by Karl Klammer »

Hi kode-niner,

thanks for the link to navit, I'll look into it.

EDIT: Didn't have much luck with compiling navit so far. cmake works great, but make stops at 4% for bin/navit with some dynamic library issues. Massaging Makefiles and asking Aunt Google wasn't useful so far..

kode-niner

#15 Post by kode-niner »

Karl Klammer wrote:Hi kode-niner,

thanks for the link to navit, I'll look into it.

EDIT: Didn't have much luck with compiling navit so far. cmake works great, but make stops at 4% for bin/navit with some dynamic library issues. Massaging Makefiles and asking Aunt Google wasn't useful so far..
Which libs crapped out?
Daily drives a CF-31

Karl Klammer

#16 Post by Karl Klammer »

OpenBSD doesn't support the "-ldl" flag, so I first had to remove it from ./navit/CMakeFiles/navit.dir/link.txt and
./navit/maptool/CMakeFiles/maptool.dir/link.txt.
Next thing I see are a couple of undefs and issues with freetype fonts, even tough freetype is installed via pkg_add and detected by cmake.
cmake and make output attached.
Attachments
make.log
(35.42 KiB) Downloaded 412 times
cmake.log
(11.9 KiB) Downloaded 404 times

kode-niner

#17 Post by kode-niner »

Just going by memory here since I haven't touched Open or FreeBSD in ages, but since cmake reports freetype is installed but not freetype libraries, it might be looking for libfreetype.so.something somewhere.
Daily drives a CF-31

Karl Klammer

#18 Post by Karl Klammer »

FYI, I gave up on navit.
I rather wait a few minutes for my qemu-mapfactor hack to bootup on those rare occasions that I need navigation,
than invest more time attempting to port some software that may or may not suit my needs.

Return to “CF-19 Talk (Discontinued Model)”