~Toughbooktalk~ Rob - 630-300-8877

The largest Toughbook discussion site on the net!
It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:12 am

All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 7:31 pm 

I'm usually running at 10-20pct brightness with occasional 40% bursts for videos

apm -A does my autoscaling and usually idles at 1200mhz (lowest settings)., except for intensive stuff like youtube
https://calomel.org/apm_control.html describes the algorithm as follows:
Apm will increase the cpu speed 50% every second if the load is over 70% usage. Once the cpu load drops under 70%, apm will decrease the cpu speed 20% every second till the cpu is at its lowest speed.

I'm happy with battery life so far, even if it's only about 70% of what Windows 7 used to do.

EDIT 20160530
I've improved on the xlock/apm solution and discovered a way for making touchscreen calibration persistent across reboots.

I couldn't find any offline GPS routing application for OpenBSD: Basically there is only foxtrotgps, which still requires a webservice and thus internet connectivity for route calculation.
Let's see if I can get MapFactor or Garmin to work with qemu-Windows .. as there is neither Wine nor Virtualbox for OpenBSD.

This OpenBSD revival has been a wonderful experience so far. :cheers: HUMPPA to that.
The system has come a long way regarding hardware support, yet I still got to play around with fun stuff like AT modem commands and X11 APIs,
Just today, I rejoiced after discovering that a small perl script, which I wrote literally ten years ago, has found its way into the ports tree.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:12 am 

added section "Laptop tweaks :: GPS as Navigator" aka "If you wish to use turn-by-turn offline navigation on OpenBSD, you must first emulate the universe."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:31 am 

Karl Klammer wrote:
I wanted something a bit more refined ... to paraphrase Carl Sagan:
If you wish to use turn-by-turn offline navigation on OpenBSD, you must first emulate the universe.
Thus I'm running MapFactor PC Navigator 15 Free,
on top of a emulated Windows environment,
on top of Systemd,
on top of Linux,
on top of a emulated x64 computer,
on top of a barely SMP-aware research operating system,
on top of a passively cooled mobile processor.
It is about as slow as my description suggests it to be ... but it works ;-)

OK that's just slightly insane. About a year ago I heard that someone was able to compile navit natively on OpenBSD, though I cannot find that information anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:56 am 

Hi kode-niner,

thanks for the link to navit, I'll look into it.

EDIT: Didn't have much luck with compiling navit so far. cmake works great, but make stops at 4% for bin/navit with some dynamic library issues. Massaging Makefiles and asking Aunt Google wasn't useful so far..

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:44 pm 

Karl Klammer wrote:
Hi kode-niner,

thanks for the link to navit, I'll look into it.

EDIT: Didn't have much luck with compiling navit so far. cmake works great, but make stops at 4% for bin/navit with some dynamic library issues. Massaging Makefiles and asking Aunt Google wasn't useful so far..

Which libs crapped out?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:26 pm 

OpenBSD doesn't support the "-ldl" flag, so I first had to remove it from ./navit/CMakeFiles/navit.dir/link.txt and
./navit/maptool/CMakeFiles/maptool.dir/link.txt.
Next thing I see are a couple of undefs and issues with freetype fonts, even tough freetype is installed via pkg_add and detected by cmake.
cmake and make output attached.

Attachments:
make.log [35.42 KiB]
Downloaded 61 times
cmake.log [11.9 KiB]
Downloaded 54 times

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:54 am 

Just going by memory here since I haven't touched Open or FreeBSD in ages, but since cmake reports freetype is installed but not freetype libraries, it might be looking for libfreetype.so.something somewhere.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:40 am 

FYI, I gave up on navit.
I rather wait a few minutes for my qemu-mapfactor hack to bootup on those rare occasions that I need navigation,
than invest more time attempting to port some software that may or may not suit my needs.