Windows 10 on CF-19 mk5 (success)

Post all questions and information about the CF-19 in here.
canuckcam

Windows 10 on CF-19 mk5 (success)

#1 Post by canuckcam »

Nov 2016 edit for Windows 10 Anniversary Update:
This is for a clean install, not an in-place update. Everything seemed to work for the Windows Update version of the Anniversary Update although I didn't play around with it that much to confirm everything.

The main difference I found was that things did not install unless item 5 was done manually within Device Manager to Unknown Device with Hardware ID of MAT0021.

----------------

Using a combination of the mk8 Windows 10 and mk7 Windows 8.1 drivers, I've managed to successfully install Windows 10 x64 onto my mk5 (CF-19A). Attached is a text file of the order of install and what drivers I've used (eg. Windows-supplied, mk8 Win10 or mk7 Win8.1)

Everything essential works as far as I can tell, tested the Dock Replicator ports, internal MC7700 aircard and Firewire ports, all ok. Except:

I don't have a camera or fingerprint reader so I'm not able to confirm those.

Because Panasonic customized the video driver (thus unable to install and Windows is using its own driver,) I'm running into the same issue as Win8.1 where I think I'm missing one 'extra' level of screen dimming before off... that level is pretty important if you're using the Toughbook at night. :(

Update: GPS Registry entry is required to activate COM3 for the internal GPS. Otherwise, COM3 does appear in Device Manager but GPS data is not recognized.
Attachments
cf-19 mk5 Windows 10 anniversary update.txt
(2.44 KiB) Downloaded 422 times
PCINFO.TXT
(4.79 KiB) Downloaded 501 times
cf-19 mk5 Windows 10.txt
(2.39 KiB) Downloaded 506 times
Last edited by canuckcam on Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chooko

Re: Windows 10 on CF-19 mk5 (success)

#2 Post by Chooko »

Now that you have had Windows 10 installed for a while, how do you like it? I keep getting the pop-up's offering to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 for free, but I'm not entirely sure that I want to do it. id you do your Windows 10 installation from the dowloaded upgrade, or from a disk?

canuckcam

#3 Post by canuckcam »

I've had no problems whatsoever with it! Only issue is (I think) that last level of brightness on the display because I'm not using the custom Toughbook display drivers. I don't have the resources to do a comparison with another identical CF-19 or swap another caddy with Windows 7 on it already.

I did the upgrade first to send the hardware profile to MS so that my Toughbook is Windows 10 OEM activated, then used a USB key to clean install Windows 10, then the drivers individually.

fredmau

#4 Post by fredmau »

canuckcam wrote:I've had no problems whatsoever with it! Only issue is (I think) that last level of brightness on the display because I'm not using the custom Toughbook display drivers. I don't have the resources to do a comparison with another identical CF-19 or swap another caddy with Windows 7 on it already.

I did the upgrade first to send the hardware profile to MS so that my Toughbook is Windows 10 OEM activated, then used a USB key to clean install Windows 10, then the drivers individually.
Almost identical here with a CF-19AFUAG1M (Mk 5). Upgraded 7 to 10, activated, then did a clean install. Same issue with the brightness - I can't get to the lowest level or 2 of brightness, it just goes black.

A few other minor issues/nuissances that I'm still trying to work through, but I think these are (mostly) Win10 issues rather than panasonic issues per se:

- MP4s won't play in the Win 10 'Movies and TV App'. After the 7 -> 10 upgrade, they played but sometimes with garbled audio. After a clean install, they won''t play at all, error message says to check my drivers. It can't be a driver issue because they play fine in Windows Media Player just not in the 'movies and TV' app. But from what I see on the 'net this seems to be an MS issue as a lot of people with various non-panasonic hardware are finding the same.

- It could be my imagination, but the touchscreen *seemed* more stable under the 7 -> 10 upgrade than with the clean install. It's not very 'consistent'. Sometime a mere light touch will do, sometimes it seems like I have to press so hard I'm worried about breaking the screen, sometimes I either have to touch 3 or 4 times or touch somewhere else then come back.

- The 3rd-party app 'GPS Satellite' form the Microsoft Store doesn't see the GPS on the GOBI2000 card. Hardware manager shows an NMEA device on 'COM7'. (COM7 ???) I would've expected com4 but that's where "Intel Active Management Technology SOL" is. And I can PuTTY into Com7 and see the NMEA data stream. But I'm not positive this the original Gobi2000 or even a 'genuine' Panasonic one. The Panasonic "Carrier Select Application" saw it and installed a driver and Hardware Manager seems to like it, though.

Still workin' on it. Overall, I'm satisfied, considering this isn't officially supported anyway. No complaints with overall usability or performance. 8 GB ram and a 250 GB Intel 730 SSD.
Formerly: CF-18 Snap-On Tools / Toyota Techstream version, CF-19 Mks 3,4,5, CF-28, CF-29, CF-30, CF-52, CF-T7
Currently Using: CF-C2 w/ CF-VEBC21 Dock, CF-54 with CF-VEB541 Dock, FZ-G1 w/ Havis automotive dock.

benspray

#5 Post by benspray »

Hi All

I'm just thinking about going for the Windows 10 upgrade on my Mk5 (CF-19AMNL7PA) currently running Windows 7 pro 64 bit, my main concern is the fingerprint scanner but I also have a concern that the Windows 10 update may wipe the recovery partition making it difficult to recover back to the factory Windows 7 pro image if needed?
Has anyone tried the fingerprint scanner in 10 yet?
Also I'm trying to figure out the txt files on the first post, it doesn't seem as if any Windows 8.1 / Mk7 drivers were used? I assume an OK status means that it worked with the Windows default drivers but then theres an INT-OK as well is this different?
OK(10) I assume mk8 Windows 10 drivers and UNK I assume unknown/not-tested

Thanks all
Ben
CF-19AMNL7PA

toughasnails
Toughbooktalk Moderator

#6 Post by toughasnails »

Well All I can say is do a backup of W7 to an external drive...you will thank me later
:spinny: Blair :spinny:
CF-51 MK3LL Core 2 Duo T7600 Mod , W7, 4GB Ram, 160GB 7200RPM HDD, Finger Print Reader
CF-52MK1 Core2Duo 2GHz, Intel SSD X25 Series ,4GB , BT with dock
CF-52 MK4 i5‑2540M 2.60GHz, ATI Discrete Graphics, Intel 120GB SSD, 16GB,W7 Pro 64bit
CF-53MK1 i5/2520, Kingston Hyper X SSD 240GB, 16GB memory, W7 Pro 64bit with dock
CF-54 MK2 Samsung SSD512GB, 16GB memory
And the little guys CF-M34 MK3 and MK7
Infologix / MediSlate 10.4" tablet
Cel Samsung Note 8
Member of:
http://thessdreview.com/
http://www.toughbooktalk.com

benspray

#7 Post by benspray »

Yep done a backup and installed a clean install of Windows 10 working perfectly so far ;)
Just the auto screen rotation to try and sort out other than that all looks perfect
CF-19AMNL7PA

benspray

#8 Post by benspray »

Ok, gave up on auto-rotation as the buttons work fine (no matter what I tried I couldn't get it to work)
I seem to have an issue with the WLAN though in that if I enter sleep or turn off the toughbook when I load back to Windows the WLAN is disabled and wont re-enable without switching the hardware wireless switch off and back on!?! even before touching the switch the WLAN light is on but Windows refuses to see it.
Any ideas?

Thanks
Ben
CF-19AMNL7PA

canuckcam

#9 Post by canuckcam »

Hey Benspray, have you worked on the rotation feature at all?

And yes INT-OK means using the default Windows drivers as Windows reported the driver to be most recent and I couldn't find a working Panasonic replacement that would install or work better. Now of course, I'm still using those same drivers to this day so I can't tell you if anything else works better!

benspray wrote:Hi All

I'm just thinking about going for the Windows 10 upgrade on my Mk5 (CF-19AMNL7PA) currently running Windows 7 pro 64 bit, my main concern is the fingerprint scanner but I also have a concern that the Windows 10 update may wipe the recovery partition making it difficult to recover back to the factory Windows 7 pro image if needed?
Has anyone tried the fingerprint scanner in 10 yet?
Also I'm trying to figure out the txt files on the first post, it doesn't seem as if any Windows 8.1 / Mk7 drivers were used? I assume an OK status means that it worked with the Windows default drivers but then theres an INT-OK as well is this different?
OK(10) I assume mk8 Windows 10 drivers and UNK I assume unknown/not-tested

Thanks all
Ben

benspray

#10 Post by benspray »

Hi, no I gave up on getting auto-rotation to work, the buttons work fine so living with that - does your auto rotate work?
The only annoyance really is the wifi, after either sleep or a shut down it still disables itself and needs a physical switch off and back on (via concealed mode or the wireless switch) to come back to life - be great to have a fix to that, other than that pretty happy with Windows 10 though.

Thanks
Ben
CF-19AMNL7PA

Return to “CF-19 Talk (Discontinued Model)”