CF-19 adding Lenovo Gobi 4000

Post all questions and information about the CF-19 in here.
TOUGHNOVIS

CF-19 adding Lenovo Gobi 4000

#1 Post by TOUGHNOVIS »

Hi any one have luck adding Gobi 4000 from a Lenovo to a Panasonic CF-19. I put it in their and it shows up in the hardware but I can not load drivers for it. Any help would be appreciated.

Shawn

Re: CF-19 adding Lenovo Gobi 4000

#2 Post by Shawn »

First question. Did the CF19 of yours come with a Gobi card originally? That will be the first step to overcome.
Good luck with any non Panasonic card....
Non Panasonic cards are hit and miss, mostly MISS..They require lots of jumping through hoops to get them functional.
The Gobi drivers seem to be locked to the original laptop most of the time....

Here are some search results to get you started.
https://www.google.com/search?num=20&sa ... Cl5khinTxM

Life will beat you into submission.

TOUGHNOVIS

#3 Post by TOUGHNOVIS »

No it came with a Ericsson F5521GW wireless card. Are they 4 g and do they need a sim card

Shawn

#4 Post by Shawn »

F5521GW is 3G

News Center

Ericsson to connect Panasonic Toughbooks with mobile broadband
2011-05-31 Categories: Press Releases Download:

All new Panasonic Toughbook models will feature Ericsson's mobile broadband module
Toughbook notebooks and tablets - used in the toughest environments - will now offer the benefits of embedded mobile broadband
The HSPA module offers download speeds of up to 21Mbps and upload speeds reaching 5.8Mbps
The first Panasonic Toughbook models, the CF-53 and CF-31 mk2, are already available

All users of new Panasonic Toughbook models launched in 2011 will enjoy access to a flawless internet connection, even in the most inhospitable environments, thanks to Ericsson's (NASDAQ: ERIC) F5521gw embedded HSPA Evolution mobile broadband module.

The Panasonic Toughbook has led the market for rugged laptops for nine years and has 65.3 percent of the European market (2010, VDC). Panasonic Toughbooks, which come in both notebook and tablet models, are built to withstand drops, spills, dust and grime, and are used in the toughest environments - ranging from construction sites to the tallest mountaintops - around the world. In these extreme conditions, often far from any fixed connection, mobile connectivity is crucial to effective communications.

Stephen Yeo, Marketing Director, Panasonic Computer Products Europe, says: "Ericsson's F5521gw module is an ideal addition to our market-leading Panasonic Toughbooks. The long battery life, low power consumption, high performance and cost-effectiveness are exactly what Toughbook users need as they work in environments that would destroy the average laptop."

Mats Norin, Vice President, Ericsson Mobile Broadband Modules, says: "Ericsson has a vision of more than 50 billion connected devices by 2020, and Ericsson mobile broadband modules will play an important part in connecting every segment of our society. Ericsson ConsumerLab research shows that, regardless of the device they use, many people are discovering how difficult life is when they are not continuously connected. Internet everywhere is becoming a prerequisite for consumers as well as professional users. Devices will therefore be required to work in increasingly varied environments and situations, and Ericsson can help ensure those experiences are of the highest quality."

The latest Panasonic Toughbook models are already available, and more products will be launched throughout 2011. Panasonic Toughbooks feature the Windows 7 operating system and Intel processors.

When launched in September 2010, the F5521gw module was the world's first embedded mobile broadband module specifically designed for notebooks and other consumer electronics to support 21Mbps HSPA Evolution networks. The module comes in a standard PCI Express Mini Card format. Two new modules in even smaller and thinner form factors, also supporting 21Mbps download speeds, will be available later this year to fit even smaller devices, such as media players and personal navigation devices. The F5521gw module is based on the proven ST-Ericsson Thor 21Mbps thin modem, which works on both WCDMA/HSPA and GSM/EDGE networks.

Notes to editors:

Related white papers:

http://www.ericsson.com/technology/whitepapers/
Life will beat you into submission.

TOUGHNOVIS

#5 Post by TOUGHNOVIS »

Thanks I will pawn off the Gobi 4000

wyrm73

#6 Post by wyrm73 »

Most WWAN drivers come rolled up in a proprietary software package, specific to the laptop as has already been mentioned. The fact that Windows can see the card is a good sign, but getting the drivers extracted and installed is a big hurdle. But if you can do that, often you can have Windows manage the connection instead of the proprietary software. Not that I endorse Windows. It does not work as well, but it is an option if you really want 4G. Where Windows really gets confused is when the connection is spotty. I did this once before with a Dell branded card in another laptop and it worked as long as connectivity was maintained with the cellular carrier. If the connection dropped, it sometimes reconnected, other times not.

The better option is to try to install the WWAN software after the drivers are working. Sometimes it will pick up the card/ connection and manage it. I discovered this accidentally working with external WWAN devices at work. That was Sprint carrier supplied software, but it did work with several devices that were not included in the bundled software. I plan on trying this with my CF-19 once I get home with an off-brand MC7750 card I bought and the Panasonic software. The card works in my CF-52 with factory software, but it was designed for a 4G connection. Plus, I cannot verify actual working connection right now- it just shows working in the software. I would try it now and let you know if it works, but I will not be home for over a month and I don't think you want to wait that long.

TOUGHNOVIS

#7 Post by TOUGHNOVIS »

:pbjt: I got it to work. The drivers work VZ manager works with it. I just need to have Verizon to hook me up.
Thanks guys for your help.
Any body need a Ericsson F5521GW wireless card. PM me

wyrm73

#8 Post by wyrm73 »

Good to know it will work. What settings did you use for the DIP switches?

TOUGHNOVIS

#9 Post by TOUGHNOVIS »

On the cf-19 MK-5 there is no dip switches. I bought the card from a guy on ebay that Guarantee it to work in any laptop.

wyrm73

#10 Post by wyrm73 »

That might explain it. I assumed yours was an earlier model based on the 3G card. You know what they say about assuming...

Now you have me curious. I may just have to try my Mk3 and see if it can even recognize the card. So many Toughbooks, so little time.

Return to “CF-19 Talk (Discontinued Model)”