~Toughbooktalk~ Rob - 630-300-8877

The largest Toughbook discussion site on the net!
It is currently Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:29 pm

All times are UTC-06:00




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:11 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:24 pm
Posts: 281
Lately i've been playing Fallout NV on this thing, but sometimes it hardlocks due to thermal throttling.

Looks like I will need to replace my thermal pads? If so: how?


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:13 pm
Posts: 2227
Location: TDR-HQ California
Confirm the FAN is running first.

This is my third post to this topic....maybe this one will succeed.

_________________
Fair for you/ Fair for me.
I chose to NOT be organized.

-------------------------------------------------------------------[/color]
http://toughbooktalk.com/
http://forum.notebookreview.com/panasonic/


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:16 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:24 pm
Posts: 281
Sadlmkr wrote:
Confirm the FAN is running first.

This is my third post to this topic....maybe this one will succeed.

Runs fine.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:35 am
Posts: 2969
What mk is it?

CF 31 will require complete disassembly if the thermal pads need to be changed.

_________________
Life will beat you into submission.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:24 pm
Posts: 281
Shawn wrote:
What mk is it?

CF 31 will require complete disassembly if the thermal pads need to be changed.

31 Mk3, Standard model. (not the Performance sadly!)


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:35 am
Posts: 2969
ok.
remove the fan/heatsink cover and look for dust or lint.
You can remove the base then remove the plastic fan cover and examine everything from the inside. Then blow it out.

Check the BIOS for temperature setting. I think the options are normal and high.

What OS? I have had fan//cooling issues on CF31's with generic OS's installs.
I have also seen custom military BIOS's that have the fan run very differently from standard.

_________________
Life will beat you into submission.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:35 am
Posts: 2969
Sometimes a power pull reset repairs these type of issues.

_________________
Life will beat you into submission.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:24 pm
Posts: 281
Shawn wrote:
ok.
remove the fan/heatsink cover and look for dust or lint.
You can remove the base then remove the plastic fan cover and examine everything from the inside. Then blow it out.

Check the BIOS for temperature setting. I think the options are normal and high.

What OS? I have had fan//cooling issues on CF31's with generic OS's installs.
I have also seen custom military BIOS's that have the fan run very differently from standard.

"Remove the base"

You mean the lower cover?

Win8.1 x64 with the Mk4 driver pack.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:35 am
Posts: 2969
yes. the lower cover.

Why not use the proper driver bundle for a mk3?

The temperature controls may be different for a mk3 and a mk4

_________________
Life will beat you into submission.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:24 pm
Posts: 281
Shawn wrote:
yes. the lower cover.

Why not use the proper driver bundle for a mk3?

The temperature controls may be different for a mk3 and a mk4

Mk3 doesn't really like Win8.1 otherwise, and it just werks 4 me.

That said, I already cleaned it out when I got it three weeks ago.


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next

All times are UTC-06:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited