~Toughbooktalk~ Rob - 630-300-8877

The largest Toughbook discussion site on the net!
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:29 pm

All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:48 pm 

Cwb thanks for your response. Very helpful. I had one of those G series PowerBooks. Flash Player fried it to a crisp....fan mayhem. Interested in some more info on chargers, OEM, part # if you can.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:03 am 

i may be wrong on the "G" portion , but it was the desktop-without-a-box series of machine designs .
the comp was built into the display .

personally , i feel that they were marginal (below , by my standards) on airflow/cooling right out of the box .
in other words , the failure was engineered into the machine .
the switchmode power supply was another example of very marginal engineering ... jamb-packed with parts creating heat and was mounted in a cramped area that had poor airflow .
the whole unit/machine virtually relied on passive (convective) cooling with air paths that were restricted .
add a little dust and lint to the mix and things really got to cooking .

i looked around ebay a little bit for those dual input power supplies ... i did not see any .
this is not to say that there are none there ... finding them is a bit hit-n-miss .
maybe one of the guy's has a link or has one for sale .

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:54 am 

Phil_Errup wrote:
Shawn , that mk2 looks clean. What I need I think is a Mk2 with a DVD. No need for GPS,Wwan. I appreciate the recovery DVDs. I'm not into watered software. I'd prefer less than 10k in hours, but take your word as to 30k not being too many for a CF-31. I've never even owned a PC. Been Mac since 84. But I now need a pc with a serial port, and the Toughbook seems like a well made laptop.

Fair enough, perhaps the tone of your reply got somewhat misunderstood in a typed message. You can't get true emotions in a text only message.

Moving on.....
A DVD can be added to that unit easily. I can remove gps and add DVD. Even swap. We can move more details into a PM if you are interested. I do have the AC adapter situation covered also.