Specific Parts List/Diagram for CF-31

Post all questions and information about the CF-31 in here.
Phil_Errup

Specific Parts List/Diagram for CF-31

#1 Post by Phil_Errup »

Hi Guys, New member here. I'm trying to sort through the mine field that is clear and precise info on the CF-31. I am interested in buying one via Craigslist/eBay etc. but I need more info to help me make an informed purchase. The servicce manuals I have seen thus far don't really articulate the parts/part #s clearly at all. Any inside info from "experienced" CF-31 owners would be really great!
Thanks, Tom

Shawn

Re: Specific Parts List/Diagram for CF-31

#2 Post by Shawn »

Are you looking for parts or a whole unit?

What are your specific needs?
It will be cheaper in the long run to buy one complete to your needs. Collecting parts one at a time ends up costing much more in the end.

I do have a mk2 for sale and I can customize it to meet your needs.
I have a mk3 that I can prep to sell, but it will cost more than the mk2.

You can start a private conversation with me to discuss details.
Life will beat you into submission.

SHEEPMAN!

#3 Post by SHEEPMAN! »

Do yourself a favor and buy Shawn's MK2 or MK3. Shawn and I trade back and forth all the time.

The minefield is the ebay /craigslist units.

It's PROBABLY better to not buy a Mark 1. Any MK1 of any model is a stepping stone to iron out the bugs in field use...changes are made MK2.....and finally MK3 is pretty good. (general what I think commentary):)

Any working 31J or S is a fine unit. I have at least one of each for personal use. What Shawn has done is add the fiddly-bits. (GPS and other odds and ends):)

Jeff
TDR-HQ
Fair for you/ Fair for me.
I chose to NOT be organized.

-------------------------------------------------------------------[/color]
http://toughbooktalk.com/
http://forum.notebookreview.com/panasonic/

User32

#4 Post by User32 »

Or, if you want get adventurous: get a cheap (oxymoron, there aren't any cheap ones) Mk3 of eBay which needs some love, hunt for parts and be done with it.

Phil_Errup

#5 Post by Phil_Errup »

Thanks for your replys guys! I am planning to buy a whole unit "used". Some that are for sale are in need of parts/repair. That is why I asked for help in getting an articulated callout of parts. If you can send me one, or lead me to the correct link, I'd appreciate it. Thnx, Tom

Phil_Errup

#6 Post by Phil_Errup »

There was a CF-31WBL78LM listed on Craigslist for $340. It was in Washington D.C. , with not enough photos or specs listed for my liking. Guy was a locksmith of some type, or so his email signature suggested. Seemed like a dick in my email responses. Didnt want to be bothered with my inquiries. Didnt really trust him. But, he said he was going to sell it to someone last night, and the listing was removed this morning. So , maybe it was legit. Price seemd too good to believe.
Anyone successfully do a Craigslist transaction from another state. I would be interested in the way you did it. I am in California. Thnx, Tom

Shawn

#7 Post by Shawn »

Last edited by Shawn on Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Phil_Errup

#8 Post by Phil_Errup »

30,000 hours is a lot. No DVD...$400...no thanks

Shawn

#9 Post by Shawn »

Good luck in your quest.

Toughbooks are not like other laptops in many, many ways. You are going to need to learn a few things on your own.
The small missing parts you will need to collect to finish a cheap ebay find add up to hundreds of dollars VERY fast.
There is no magic service manual that will tell you what options are available.
Each manual is for a specific model with specific options.

Used parts for a CF 31 for example.

empty hard drive caddy $50
DVD drive $70
Battery $30 and up
backlit keyboard $40
plastic port covers $15 each and a CF 31 has 6 of them
3g WWAN card $30 and up--MUST be from a Toughbook
4g WWAN card $75 and up--MUST be from a Toughbook
Recovery DVD to properly install Windows $35
DVD door $25
GPS module $75 and up--figure 2-3 hours to install

New parts are only available through Heartlands USA and backorders for months are common. Shipping is $35 minimum.

Many of those Ebay "bargains" are ex federal gov't or ex military and have custom BIOS's that CAN NOT be upgraded. They are custom and they may have all wireless disabled. Or worse yet the BIOS has a password which CAN NOT be removed. Even swapping BIOS chips fails to work. Toughbooks are designed for the gov't and they go out of their way to make them secure. They are not like hacking a Dell or Hp.

Phil_Errup

#10 Post by Phil_Errup »

Shawn, thanks for your best wishes ! I appreciate your response and understand the points you are making. I am aware of the preponderance of Toughbook sales bring to our wasteful, bloated, and non-functioning government. Nevertheless, as I previously stated....30k hours of use is a no-no for me. I can hear the fuse hissing on its imminent demise.

Return to “CF-31 Talk (Discontinued Model)”