Specific Parts List/Diagram for CF-31

Post all questions and information about the CF-31 in here.
Shawn

Re: Specific Parts List/Diagram for CF-31

#11 Post by Shawn »

30k is nothing for a Toughbook.
We have seen them with over 60K hours. These fuses and such on Toughbooks don't go bad from age. They go bad from things shorting out. You really don't understand Toughbooks at all. I have been doing this for years and have restored hundreds of Toughbooks.

You hit a nerve with me. People stumble in with a first post admitting they are clueless about Toughbooks then 2 posts later argue or get rude with me because they think they know more than I do.
The other member who directly said forget the recovery disk also hit a nerve. The $35 recovery disk I include FOR FREE in my sales is the proper LEGAL way to restore the drives. They auto activate and no (illegal) hoops to jump through. 30 minutes and the whole hard drive is done to factory installation. We answer questions about once a month on why the driver bundle did not install properly. The generic Windows and driver bundle install can take HOURS to finish installing. Then manually installing the drivers the bundle screwed up or did not install at all.

....Have fun on Ebay and Craigslist. I know what rigged together crap you will get there. Or you will pay 2 to 3 times as much as I ask.
Are there bargains on Ebay? you bet there are, IF you know what you are doing and have access to the parts/equipment to repair the small issues you find. The preponderance of Ebay deals have issues that the inexperienced buyer is unaware of. Custom BIOS's, Locked BIOS's, VERY poor Windows installations, missing hard to find parts, Wireless permanently disabled, And really trashed cases. Lets not mention the ones with LOCKTITE on every screw. Sellers very often leave the issues out of the ad. They also carefully pose the photo to avoid showing a true representation of what you are bidding on.

--------------------------------
The real shame is I also have a 2580 hour mk2 and a 5130 hour mk3. In a week they can look as nice or better than that 30k hour one. I said in my previous post I had more, but no one seemed to listen.
This is a hobby. I really don't make any money on this. You would be shocked if you knew what I have in time and money on any Toughbook I sell. 20 hours would be a minimum as far as time goes. If I make $5 an hour I am doing really good.
Life will beat you into submission.

CWB

#12 Post by CWB »

i agree with shawn ...
30K hours on a '31 is not overly long ... the big advantage here is the use of leds in the '31 versus ccfls in the '30 (and other machines) .
if it were a machine with ccfls and that many hours i too would pass or resign myself to replacement of the ccfls .

yessir ... i have seen quite a few bargains on craig list and cheesebay ... but ... the real bargains are a distance between .
one chap was selling individual or "lots of 5" '31s ... he was offering a fair price on them "as is" (naturally) .
his ad was perfectly decent and descriptive ... and familiar ... he was following the "form" of a long time seller with a high reputation .
there were some areas that he had *removed/omitted* or made a left-handed statement in ...
"scratches on protective screen overlay ... etc , etc , ..." , seemingly attempting to skirt an area .
it sure seemed like he covered all the bases except the pictures of the bios screen/pages ... the one that told the model number was not present .
and , as well , there was no mention of the bios being locked , unlocked or *custom* .
his weasel clause was "as is" ... once you buy it , there is no recourse toward remuneration and repair .

Rich

#13 Post by Rich »

Phil_errup, hope no bridges are burned. You came to the right place, AND one of the right people offered great help and an even greater offer of a toughbook that you would have NO issues with. Like others have said eBay and especially Craigslist can be a crapshoot for a complete no problem toughbook. Most of the sellers are trying to make money by cutting corners, cheap aftermarket caddies and batteries, ram, hdd, gps etc.. The people here have a passion for toughbooks and making them work correctly with proper hardware and legal software. Sure we experiment with other OS and custom hardware installs, but when it comes to help or selling a fellow member something, it is nothing but integrity.

So again I hope for you no bridges have been burned, because no one here will burn you.
We get some rules to follow.
That and this, these and those

CF-20 Mk1, CF-31 Mk5 i7, CF-31 Mk6 i7, FZ-G1 Mk2, CF-54 Mk2, CF-29 Mk5, CF-74J,
Star Labs Star Lite Mk3, Star Labs Labtop Mk3, Raspberry Pi 4b 8gb, Raspberry Pi-400, Raspberry Zero W(running piaware), Raspberry Pi 2

Phil_Errup

#14 Post by Phil_Errup »

No bridges burned. I'm a big boy. Shawn seems a little thin skinned, but , no prob. I wasn't referring to a fuse inside the laptop. It was a metaphor for the whole laptop. I feel confident in screening out scammers and subtle errors of omission by cheap hustlers. Shawn seems passionate about his hobby. I very much respect that. I never intended on ruffling any feathers. My original question was about a referral of parts diagram/parts list for the CF-31. Still haven't received any friendly directions along those lines. Still hoping someone will .

Rich

#15 Post by Rich »

I meant with getting help from the forum. I am not aware of a parts list/diagram for the CF-31. Sounds like maybe you need to plug model numbers into the Panasonic cofigurator to see what the toughbook is supposed to come with .
Last edited by Rich on Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
We get some rules to follow.
That and this, these and those

CF-20 Mk1, CF-31 Mk5 i7, CF-31 Mk6 i7, FZ-G1 Mk2, CF-54 Mk2, CF-29 Mk5, CF-74J,
Star Labs Star Lite Mk3, Star Labs Labtop Mk3, Raspberry Pi 4b 8gb, Raspberry Pi-400, Raspberry Zero W(running piaware), Raspberry Pi 2

Phil_Errup

#16 Post by Phil_Errup »

Thanks pp99 . I have done the configurator and it's helpful. I was looking for a call out of each item I.e. part# for a touchpad board etc.

Phil_Errup

#17 Post by Phil_Errup »

Shawn , that mk2 looks clean. What I need I think is a Mk2 with a DVD. No need for GPS,Wwan. I appreciate the recovery DVDs. I'm not into watered software. I'd prefer less than 10k in hours, but take your word as to 30k not being too many for a CF-31. I've never even owned a PC. Been Mac since 84. But I now need a pc with a serial port, and the Toughbook seems like a well made laptop.

Phil_Errup

#18 Post by Phil_Errup »

Watered= Warez. Spell check effed me again.

Phil_Errup

#19 Post by Phil_Errup »

Emissive backlit,at least 4MB, wifi, and a legit charger. Pretty bare bones I guess.

CWB

#20 Post by CWB »

there are several "diagrams" (of the physical placement of parts) available for the '31 ... these are not easy to get and most fellows that have them compile them from the stuff that other chaps have .
if you are needing a genuine set of schematics for the '31 series ... this is even harder to obtain and , again , most of the sources available are from from fellow users of these machines .
and it sure gets to be fun when you have to play the ol' "what do i really have in front of me" game .
sometimes a more than passing knowledge of electronics is required to decipher what is really going on .

yeah ... as far as i know , there is no comprehensive list of *offerings and adjuncts* for a '31 .
i have seen a couple of partial lists (i stumbled across them while surfing for another CF related item) .
heh ; "factory options" .
however , virtually all of the normal stuff found on/in a laptop is indeed what is available for the majority of the CF series of machines .
one might have to add a "carrier" for an item such as a wireless/gps module (if it did not come with these from the factory) , however , this can be determined by reading the what's-under-the-hood list and/or visual inspection/conformation .
it is not an expensive item but it sure beats going into the "awww ... uuuhhh ... crap !" mode after you peel everything open and have your cup of coffee in place .
there are also things available for these machines that are not available for many regular laptops ... factory and aftermarket .

speaking of aftermarket and your request for a power supply ...
there are several different types of power supplies offered for these machines ... however ... the output voltage must be in the range of 16VDC ... most other laptops require around 19-21VDC .
plugging one of the latter into a few different models of CFs will most likely result in loosing the magic smoke from several components .
the current capabilities of the available supplies varies and will result in (while the machine is in use) ; no charging , slow charging or decent charging rates .
with the machine off and a low current charger the battery will *trickle charge* at best .
there is a spiffy charger/power supply available that is dual voltage input ; 12-14.5VDC and 100-240VAC ...
this is a great item to have for land and mobile power/charging .
mine is capable of 4.55A output @ 16VDC and was made by lenovo when they were in bed with IBM .
these units are not expensive when you know where and what to look for (there are a couple of other models/makes) .

yeppers ... these machines (et al) are not like the normal stuff out there and most certainly are better engineered than other equipment i have had the pleasure of working on over the years ...
including the apple "g" series of machines that cooked themselves because of poor airflow .

Return to “CF-31 Talk (Discontinued Model)”