Okay... Let's Talk Windows 10 On Your CF-31!

Post all questions and information about the CF-31 in here.
Toughbook

Okay... Let's Talk Windows 10 On Your CF-31!

#1 Post by Toughbook »

I just tried the "Free" upgrade... I got to a spot where I could not get past. You can go to MS's site and download the 32bit installer which will download the OS and start to install. It will ask you if you want a clean install or keep all your apps and files. Since I just upgraded my 31 to a 512GB SSD and reloaded W7... I opted to keep everything.

Then I get the dreaded, "Uninstall Intel Dynamic Power Performance Management" because it is not compatible with W10. So I uninstall it... It still won't install. So I stop the installation thinking a reboot is necessary. So I do that and redownload the OS to install... It still read the Intel program and stops the installation.

I just thought I would give this a try. So I recon I will wait and pay for the complete OS install as the free OS is only available for upgrade at present.

Just wanted to let you guys know. I read where someone else tried the install on a different Toughbook and ran into the same issue. So I think clean installs will be the only way to install W10 on your Toughbook. :damnit:

Thoughts?
Rugged Toughbooks of all types... CF-31s, CF-30s, CF-29s, CF-19s, CF-52s, CF-53s, CF-74s, CF-H2... Hmmm... What else can I buy, build or modify?

UNCNDL1

Re: Okay... Let's Talk Windows 10 On Your CF-31!

#2 Post by UNCNDL1 »

:pat: I remember back 5 years ago, when I did an upgrade from Vista to Win7 following panasonics directions. There were specific directions to follow in order like uninstalling several drivers before running upgrade. Then once things were up and running/reboot/etc., you had to re-install the missing drivers. Probably better to wait for the entire Fresh Full option, since you are comfortable installing the drivers in your sleep. :salute:
CF-53 MX-Linux 21 Wildflower
CF-30 MK2 SSD MX-21 Betsy, MK2 Navigatrix, Fundraiser for TbT
CF-52 GUN SSD MX-19
(NICE) Thanks Sadlmkr
CF-M34 MicroWattR8 Thanks Sadlmkr
CF-M33 MicroWattR8 Thanks Springfield

Toughbook

#3 Post by Toughbook »

Yes... But beware of W10...
- Auto Updates (That you can delay)
- After updating you become a "server" for others needing the update to help out MS (Unless you turn it off!)
- They say in the EULA they have full rights to your stuff and can disclose your info to anyone who waives a subpoena...

I think I will stick with W7 until 2020.... Then switch to Linux...
Rugged Toughbooks of all types... CF-31s, CF-30s, CF-29s, CF-19s, CF-52s, CF-53s, CF-74s, CF-H2... Hmmm... What else can I buy, build or modify?

Shawn

#4 Post by Shawn »

I did hear about the forced updates...
I did not hear about the server issue...
I think I will choose what file sharing I want to use....Thank you very much...
Life will beat you into submission.

ADOR

#5 Post by ADOR »

Toughbook wrote:Yes... But beware of W10...
- Auto Updates (That you can delay)
- After updating you become a "server" for others needing the update to help out MS (Unless you turn it off!)
- They say in the EULA they have full rights to your stuff and can disclose your info to anyone who waives a subpoena...

I think I will stick with W7 until 2020.... Then switch to Linux...
But remember it's "Free", lol
CF-28 MK2,Mk3 / CF-29 Mk3 / CF-30 MK2 / CF-25 Mk1 ATI / CF-19 MK3/Mk3/Mk5 / CF-U1 Mk1,Mk2 / CF-M34 Mk7/Mk3 / CF-17 Mk1 / CF-07
Voodoo Envy M355 / M360 / M515 / M780 / U703 / Voodoo Hexx / Voodoo Idol / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 "signed case" / Voodoo Omen
Alienware M11x R1, Alienware 17 R5

Toughbook

#6 Post by Toughbook »

I guess I will wait until 2020 to look at the next upgrade... Or, if I start playing with Linux now... I might learn it by 2020... LOL

Shawn

#7 Post by Shawn »

Rick,
Here is a simple review of some Linux.
https://www.linux.com/news/software/app ... s-for-2015

Some highlights from the article..
Best desktop distro: openSUSE
.... openSUSE to be the most polished, mature and professional distro around. They take extra pain to integrate the chosen desktop environment with the rest of the OS, so you get a native experience.

Best laptop distro: Ubuntu MATE

Laptops, unlike desktop PCs may not be that mighty when it comes to hardware and there are possibilities of proprietary hardware, that's where Ubuntu MATE does the job the best. Based on Ubuntu, MATE makes it extremely easy to deal with any proprietary hardware.
Life will beat you into submission.

UNCNDL1

#8 Post by UNCNDL1 »

I sent my father-in-law several articles (links) from here and notebook review, he decided NOT to try out Windows 10 just yet...as Shawn and others have said, Linux is extremely easy once you find a distribution you like. The only reason I lean towards the Debian side of Linux...is because I use Citrix Receiver for the company site, which allows me to use all their things including Outlook, Windows Office Suite, and our Connections for time cards, expense reports, etc. That is why I like Makulu, LMDE Betsy, and MX-14...they make it very easy
CF-53 MX-Linux 21 Wildflower
CF-30 MK2 SSD MX-21 Betsy, MK2 Navigatrix, Fundraiser for TbT
CF-52 GUN SSD MX-19
(NICE) Thanks Sadlmkr
CF-M34 MicroWattR8 Thanks Sadlmkr
CF-M33 MicroWattR8 Thanks Springfield

teo

#9 Post by teo »

See other thread.

teo

spike1000x

#10 Post by spike1000x »

Intel Dynamic Power Performance Management or ETM services
I tried upgrading my CF-31 to windows10 & stucked at Intel Dynamic Power Performance Management manually removal request.
Tried everything from stopping ETM services & deleting the physical file etm.exe but Win10 still detects it, so i opted for a clean install &
everthing went fine. After that i can't install some of my previous apps as it says not compatible on win10. I choose to roll back to windows7.

Hope someone sheds some light on this issue.

-spike

Return to “CF-31 Talk (Discontinued Model)”