HDD Heaters with SSD installed

Post all questions and information about the CF-31 in here.
nmbushek

HDD Heaters with SSD installed

#1 Post by nmbushek »

Good evening Toughbook Techies,

What would be pros and cons of installing the HDD Heater assembly on my SSD?

I do all my work out doors and all over the country, just wanted to get anyone's thoughts or suggestions on installing the heater assembly on my SSD.

Thank you for your continued time and assistance, it is very much appreciated

Have a great evening and weekend.

Nick
-31Mk3, 16gb RAM, Samsung 850 Pro 512gb, W10-64 Pro, Emissive backlit KB

-54Mk2, 16gb RAM, Samsung 870 EVO 1TB, W10-64 Pro, Emissive backlit KB

mklym

Re: HDD Heaters with SSD installed

#2 Post by mklym »

Nick,

Pro: On cold mornings/conditions, your ssd will be warmed up before used.
Con: Slight reduction of battery run time.

When I upgrade any units I have that are setup for hdd heaters to an ssd, I install the heater.
CF-29LTQ,CF-31SBM,CF-52youngGUN,

Life's Journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways totally worn-out shouting 'Woo Hoo! What a ride!

Motorsports - the only real sport. If it doesn't have a motor, it is just a game.

There is always something waiting at the end of the road, if you are not willing to see what it is, you probably shouldn't be out there in the first place.

nmbushek

#3 Post by nmbushek »

mylym,

Thank you for your quick reply, it is very much appreciated.

You confirmed exactly what I was thinking. Better to measure twice and cut one if you know what I mean.

I am sure glad that there are so many dedicated TB users out there that are willing to assist and share their TB knowledge.

Thank you for your time and suggestion, it is very much appreciated.

Nick

mklym

#4 Post by mklym »

Nick,

You are welcome. Glad to have helped out.

Yes, it is nice to see that a large portion of Toughbook users are real human beings, willing to go out of their way to help another human being.
Too bad the rest of society is moving in the opposite direction. If we all helped out another person, for no other reason than because we could, the world would be a far better place.
Too much focus on me, me, me, money, money money and next to none on us, us, us.

Not a rant, the way I feel.

Have an outstanding weekend and enjoy the heck out of your 31. :)

Morgan

Life's Journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways totally worn-out shouting 'Woo Hoo! What a ride!

Motorsports - the only real sport. If it doesn't have a motor, it is just a game.

There is always something waiting at the end of the road, if you are not willing to see what it is, you probably shouldn't be out there in the first place.

nmbushek

#5 Post by nmbushek »

mylym,

Thank you once again for your assistance sir, it is very much appreciated.

I completely agree with you on your above statement, not a rant in my opinion

One or 2 more quick questions, if I may, what kind of adhesive "tape" should be used to secure my HDD heater assemblies around my SSD/HDDs?

Do you or anyone else on this awesome forum happen to know where I could possibly aquire some? I would need enough to secure at least 3 different HDD heater assemblies on 2 different SSDs, for the 31, and 1 HDD-SATA drive on my 29?

Once again, thank you for you time and and assistance sir. It is very much appreciated.

Have a great weekend.

Nick

Toughbook

#6 Post by Toughbook »

Use Kapton tape if you want the OEM solution...

Also.. There is a heater for the CFL tubes in the display on models that use CFL tubes.

The hard drive heater is really there to protect the fluid bearings of laptop hard drives. You don't want to crank up a laptop hard drive that is frozen... It can ruin it. Gently heat it first and you have no issue. Sort of the same reason for CFL tubes... You'll know what I mean if you have ever had a shop with no heat and fluorescent bulbs. They take a while to start and are way dim until them warm up.
Rugged Toughbooks of all types... CF-31s, CF-30s, CF-29s, CF-19s, CF-52s, CF-53s, CF-74s, CF-H2... Hmmm... What else can I buy, build or modify?

mklym

#7 Post by mklym »

Nick,

I am a relative novice in the world of Toughbooks compared to most on this forum.

I have not had to source out the tape used to secure the heaters to the drives. Mine all have had the tape still there, which I reused. If I had to use something to secure the heater and insulation sheet, I would use kapton tape.

Kapton tape can be found on eBay or Digikey website.

Someone else might post what the correct type of tape is used to secure the hdd heaters and insulation sheets.

Enjoy the day.

Morgan

nmbushek

#8 Post by nmbushek »

Toughbook and mklym.

Good evening gentlemen,

Thank you both for the replies.

"Kapton" is exactly the name of the tape I was thinking I just couldn't recall it.

I will get some to complete the install all my HDD heater assemblies.

Thank you both for your time and assistance, it is very much appreciated.

Nick

cleatus

#9 Post by cleatus »

nooob here....but aint SSD drives basically "memory chips"...which work better when colder?

User32

#10 Post by User32 »

cleatus wrote:nooob here....but aint SSD drives basically "memory chips"...which work better when colder?
Not really, Toughbooks will automatically halt without a heater and a SSD.

Tried freezing my 19 for shits 'n giggles without a heater, it just simply stood there waiting for the drive to heat up.

Return to “CF-31 Talk (Discontinued Model)”