Defective Panasonic MX4?

Post all questions and information about the business rugged machines here.
toughman

Defective Panasonic MX4?

#1 Post by toughman »

Hello everybody. I have just bought a new Panasonic MX4 Toughbook. It's displaying some odd behaviour and I am interested to know who else might have seen this.

* When looking at the screen at a downwards angle, I can very clearly see the backlight shining up brightly from the bottom of the screen in several places. It's almost as if the IPS panel is not completely stuck in place.

* Often when I pick up the machine, the "Audio mute" hotkey is activated/deactivated rapidly and continues being activated/deactivated in a rapid loop after I put the machine down. This loop stops if I click on the"Volume up" or "Volume down" hotkey (fn-F5 or fn-F6).

I did not expect this. Does anybody else have the same? Should I be worried?

Thank you.

Shawn

Re: Defective Panasonic MX4?

#2 Post by Shawn »

The audio sounds like a stuck key.
Why not contact your dealer?

For anyone that does not know, This is a MX4.

Life will beat you into submission.

toughman

#3 Post by toughman »

Hi Shawn. Thanks for the reply and thanks for posting the image of the MX4.

Yes, I reported this to the dealer immediately by e-mail. I will speak with him tomorrow.

I'm trying to collect information before he and I talk, so as to be as informed as possible.

RDTyler

#4 Post by RDTyler »

The CF-MX4 is nice unit!! I have repaired one that had a cracked LCD top cover corner. The touchscreen was unresponsive and it was doing a similar key loop. Once I installed the new LCD Top Cabinet and Front LCD Bezel then the sporadic key looping and unresponsive touchscreen were completely fixed and the issue was no more. This was one of the most fragile and difficult Panasonic laptops I have ever disassembled. I do not recommend at home repair - in your case - you are looking at the need for replacing the LCD adhesive strips. The replacement Front LCD Bezel comes with new adhesive strips. I again do not recommend taking apart the LCD.

Part needed: DFKF8196SA-0 LCD FRONT ASSY
Attachments
20151007_233920.jpg
20151007_233920.jpg (613.93 KiB) Viewed 9820 times

RDTyler

#5 Post by RDTyler »

If this is not a physical issue like - which it may not be as the LED Backlight can be seen by looking down the front side of the LCD. Then try updating the drivers. I was running Windows 10 Pro without flaw. Reinstalling the OS even before the fix did increase the sensitivity in the Multi Touch Display. However the MX4 was a Japanese model and had a Win 8.1 Load all in Japanese. I reloaded with Win 10 US and updated the drivers.

Drivers can be found here: http://pc-dl.panasonic.co.jp/itn/driver ... tml#CF-MX4

Any questions just ask - I have owned 3 CF-AX2's, 1 CF-MX4, 1 CF-AX3, and now currently own a brand new CF-RZ5 (These are all Panasonic Let's Note Ultrabooks)
Attachments
20151007_235245.jpg
20151007_235245.jpg (756.13 KiB) Viewed 9818 times

toughman

#6 Post by toughman »

Hi RDTyler. Thank you very much for the wonderful replies.

Can I just clarify: what you're telling me is that
* The LCD adhesive strips have come away from the bezel.
* To fix this, I should replace the display panel part number DFKF8196SA-0 LCD FRONT ASSY.
* Then, I should replace the drivers?
Is that correct?

This makes sense. I can see the backlight shining up through the bottom of the screen past what looks like a "black ribbon" that has come away from the bezel. When I press the bezel of the touchscreen with my fingers, the "black ribbon" pushes in and closes up the gap slightly. So that does indeed sound like an adhesive strip that is not adhering.

Congratulations on the toughbook collection. I have an AX3 and love it. I'm typing on it now, in fact.

RDTyler

#7 Post by RDTyler »

In reply to going about a solution:

* The LCD adhesive strips have come away from the bezel. - This may be the case - however do try the drivers first.
* To fix this, I should replace the display panel part number DFKF8196SA-0 LCD FRONT ASSY. (This part if the font bezel and the hardest to remove from the entire assembly)
* Then, I should replace the drivers? - I would try this first

Again I do not recommend disassembling the unit. I would first attempt to get in touch with who you purchased from and seeing about getting a replacement.

toughman

#8 Post by toughman »

Thanks!

I've certainly been in touch with the dealer who sold me the item, since it was supplied to me defective out of the box. I am in the process of arranging to send the machine back for a refund. I have no intention of trying to repair this myself.

I'm quite sure you're right about the LCD adhesive strips. I can see it with my own eyes. A change of drivers can't make an LCD panel come visibly unstuck at the edges. Your comments have been very helpful, thanks again.

The dealer is not necessarily being as cooperative as I might like, but my purchase is insured against this kind of thing so I'm trying not to panic.

On the topic of whether the MX4 is a nice machine: I'm not convinced. It does feel really lovely in the hand (the case has a subtle textured feel which is positively luxurious), but:
* compared to my AX3 it's got a much noisier fan, and
* it looks to me like they just put a panel on the front where the DVD drive had been in the MX3, and left empty space inside (instead of thinning the case down or using a larger battery).
My impression is that the MX4 is something that was perhaps designed in a bit of a hurry, to a deadline, to meet a product upgrade cycle. Please feel free to correct me if you believe I'm wrong. In this context, your comment that the MX4 was fragile and difficult to repair was very interesting.

If you've opened one of them up, is it true that there's just a big void in the front where the DVD drive was in the MX3? My X-ray vision is not working this week so I can't just look through the casing to check.

Many thanks.

Return to “Let's Note and Business Rugged Talk”