CF-17 BIOS upgrades and two COM ports.

Post all questions and information about the CF-M34 in here.
jloram

CF-17 BIOS upgrades and two COM ports.

#1 Post by jloram »

I've a CF-17 Mk 1 running XP. Decided I should up grade the bios to cfm34_mk1_w2k_v151l15.exe (V151l15). There seems to be a companion piece of software called "EC upgrade for Windows 2000. Use with CFM34_mk1_w2k_V151l15.exe BIOS upgrade. Version: L0111120. " I've no idea of what the "EC" is nor how to install this software.

A second issue is that when I attach the CF-17 to a CFVEB341 docking station, COM1 (on the CF-17) goes dead. Is there some way to have both COM1 (on the CF-17) and COM2 (on the docking station) working at the same time?

thanks for any insights, -john-

MasterBlaster2039

Re: CF-17 BIOS upgrades and two COM ports.

#2 Post by MasterBlaster2039 »

Be warned ! If you install the wrong BIOS, your CF-17 turns into a doorstop/brick.

the EC update must be performed first ! After the EC update you can update your BIOS. Otherwise , your machine wont boot.

jloram

#3 Post by jloram »

You have my attention! Is the EC software install from DOS like the BIOS upgrade? And, what is the EC software?

thanks for your response, -john-

jloram

#4 Post by jloram »

Concerning getting two com ports running simultaneously: My earlier description of the problem was incorrect. Once again, I'm running XP with SP2.

When I start the CF-17 Mk1 some process is grabbing COM1, making it unavailable. If I have the 17 plugged into a docking station I can use COM2, but COM1 remains unavailable.

One partial work-around is to go to Device Manage and disable COM1 and then re-enable it. COM 1 then becomes available for use (along with COM 2 if I'm plugged into the docking port).

Anybody have any ideas about what process might be grabbing COM1 during start up?

thanks, -john-

SHEEPMAN!

#5 Post by SHEEPMAN! »

Serial Port.
Fair for you/ Fair for me.
I chose to NOT be organized.

-------------------------------------------------------------------[/color]
http://toughbooktalk.com/
http://forum.notebookreview.com/panasonic/

jloram

#6 Post by jloram »

Yes, I talking about the the RS232 serial ports.

jloram

#7 Post by jloram »

Just an update on the problem using two comm ports: Turned out I had a printer installed and had configured it to use COM1. When the system booted it grabbed COM1 for the printer. Once I deleted the printer com1 became available and I was able to use both ports.... DUMB! You'd think I hadn't been doing computer stuff for 40 years!

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts, -john-

jloram

#8 Post by jloram »

How do I install the EC software?

I'm want to up grade the BIOS but am told I must also upgrade the EC software and have no idea if it a Windows app or if it is something like the BIOS and must be install using a floppy. Any guidiance appreciated...

thanks, -john-

MasterBlaster2039

#9 Post by MasterBlaster2039 »

I did some bios updates on toughbooks some years ago, but since my last ultimate fail (I bricked a CF-M34 mk2 thanks to a bad version of the bios update), i didnt try again.

Anyhow, if my memory still works good, the EC update works the same way as the bios update.

What i did was this:

take a spare harddrive (the smaller the better, example 2 or 3 gigs)
format on another computer with MS-DOS 6.2 or so.
put both the EC update and BIOS update in 2 seperate directories (to make sure you do NOT mix them up)

insert harddrive in your CF-17
go to the directory of the EC-update, run the ec-update (its a .BAT or .COM .EXE file.....)

i think, after the update the CF-17 reboots.

then run the BIOS update.

Maybe some other members of this forum know more about this .
Update: I found this information that is the solution for your problem:
http://toughbook.wikispaces.com/message ... 4/32850336

of course you have to use the EC and BIOS update for your CF-17 and not for the CF-M34.

jloram

#10 Post by jloram »

Thanks, so much, for taking the time to respond. Can you tell me what the 'EC' is? thanks,

thanks, -john-

Return to “CF-M34 & CF-17 Talk (Discontinued Models)”