Camper / Travel Trailer

Talk about other laptop computers here (Dell, HP, Toshiba etc...)
CWB

Re: Camper / Travel Trailer

#31 Post by CWB »

went to walker ... a little bumpy today .
the oil pressure on #2 was high on a cold start (as in buried needle) , after warm it went to the bottom end of the green .
stopped for fuel (fosston was out) ... started back up and the oil pressure was well into the green to walker .
stayed in walker a couple of hours and took off ... the oil pressure was ok , within a BCH of the #1 engine .
at idle , the pressure was at the bottom of the green .

the only thing i can think of is that the spool and mating surfaces are a bit scored and sticky .
the spring is getting tired and has been shimmed ... this would account for the high cold start pressure ... the spool cannot back out enough to relieve the high pressure of the cold oil .
the spool then sticks into a position that allows the warm oil to bypass too much .
if all pressure is removed (shutdown) the spool is allowed to close all the way and can then work in a "good" physical area .
it is the cold start that is causing the spool to travel too far and get hung up .

yep , i am looking for a used pump assembly or a new spool and spring .

aaannnd ... it was bumpy as hell coming back ! the storms had set in ... flying at 1000 feet or so to be able to see the ground .
dramamine is my friend .
CF-30 mkI/TS/dvd/custom gps/wwan/wlan/BT/emmsive kb ---- CF-52 mkII/custom TS/dvd/wlan/BT/emmisive kb
CF-19 mkIV/TS/dvd/gps/wwam/wlan/BT/emissive kb/SSD ---- CF-31 mkI/TS/dvd/custom gps/wwan/wlan/emissive kb/SSD
CF-74 dvd/wlan/BT ---- CF-52 mkIII/ATI graphics card/i5-2.53GHz/wlan/BT/SSD (wwan/custom gps/TS coming soon)

"Know how to solve every problem that has been solved"
(R. Feynman '88)
"yessir , that boy has a couple of shorted turns on the primary"
"i've been to three county fairs , two hog calls and a goat ropin' but i aint never seen nothin' like this"

ADOR

#32 Post by ADOR »

Sounds like you perfectly described how the oil pressure in a older ford 302/351 is over time. LOL. Good at cold then it starts going on down. You have to shim the pump spring, replace the spring or go with a new pump. Some times if the cam bearings are worn you have to go with a high volume no high pressure pump to restore proper pressure. I got to do that to the 52 ford here soon. Might as well drop the F4TE camshaft and GT40 heads on it then, lol.
CF-28 MK2,Mk3 / CF-29 Mk3 / CF-30 MK2 / CF-25 Mk1 ATI / CF-19 MK3/Mk3/Mk5 / CF-U1 Mk1,Mk2 / CF-M34 Mk7/Mk3 / CF-17 Mk1 / CF-07
Voodoo Envy M355 / M360 / M515 / M780 / U703 / Voodoo Hexx / Voodoo Idol / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 "signed case" / Voodoo Omen
Alienware M11x R1, Alienware 17 R5

CWB

#33 Post by CWB »

or , you could go with an external stand-alone oil pump ... electrically driven .
that way you could pre-pressure the bearings and such before cranking the engine over ...
just like the big boys .

i am calling an outfit in sacramento today ... FAETH .
they have a fair sized bone-yard and plenty of pulled/used and NOS continental parts .
yeah , when you say "aircraft" it starts sucking the money out of ones wallet .
it would not surprise me if the price of a good used oil pressure regulator unit was over 200 bucks .
and you would not believe where the unit/pump is located ... murphy was on the engineering team .
heh ... changing the lower spark plugs (two per cylinder) on those IO 470 continental engines is a royal PITA .
truth be known ... lycoming makes a better engine than continental .

aaannnddd ... #1 engine runs a little rough on cold start .
one of the plugs was oil-wet after sitting for a few days (the bottom one naturally) .
it will straighten out after about 2 minutes of run-up and lean cycling .
i swear that marie laveau is running around in the hangar .

ps ... the price of a used 100 amp fancy-schmancy alternator with safety wire ... $2500 (not a typo) .
i guess that i should buy stock in safety wire manufacturers ... the stuff is awful expensive .
CF-30 mkI/TS/dvd/custom gps/wwan/wlan/BT/emmsive kb ---- CF-52 mkII/custom TS/dvd/wlan/BT/emmisive kb
CF-19 mkIV/TS/dvd/gps/wwam/wlan/BT/emissive kb/SSD ---- CF-31 mkI/TS/dvd/custom gps/wwan/wlan/emissive kb/SSD
CF-74 dvd/wlan/BT ---- CF-52 mkIII/ATI graphics card/i5-2.53GHz/wlan/BT/SSD (wwan/custom gps/TS coming soon)

(R. Feynman '88)
"i've been to three county fairs , two hog calls and a goat ropin' but i aint never seen nothin' like this"

ADOR

#34 Post by ADOR »

There is a old crop dusting field near the house that has several old air craft sitting up. I know of at least 3 or 4 completely stripped frames sitting in a fence row. The others are under falling shed. Should be 4 to 6 total of them. Some still have there rotary engine in them.

I got a few new in the box gauges for aircraft as well. I think one that is still new in the box is old enough to be used in a warbird. I got it in a lot of stuff from people that when to old truck auctions. Even think I know who had it as I have a leather wrapped invitation with name from the 40's and the flight school for the military. Even found a air metal in the lot of stuff I put into my collection.
CF-28 MK2,Mk3 / CF-29 Mk3 / CF-30 MK2 / CF-25 Mk1 ATI / CF-19 MK3/Mk3/Mk5 / CF-U1 Mk1,Mk2 / CF-M34 Mk7/Mk3 / CF-17 Mk1 / CF-07
Voodoo Envy M355 / M360 / M515 / M780 / U703 / Voodoo Hexx / Voodoo Idol / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 "signed case" / Voodoo Omen

CWB

#35 Post by CWB »

sounds like those might be converted WW2 or post WW2 curtiss-wright rotary engines/aircraft :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curtiss-Wright

if all those birds are sitting there ... it may be possible that there are the remains of some hangars and other buildings ...
many times there are scrap piles buried under overgrowth that can yield some neat stuff .
grab yer metal detector .

going to call FAETH after i grab a soda .

(R. Feynman '88)

ADOR

#36 Post by ADOR »

When I get a chance I will grab a photo of them.

CWB

#37 Post by CWB »

no call back from FAETH aircraft ... yet .

good deal on the pictures .
yeah , those rotary engines had a tendency to collect oil and other fluids in the bottom cylinders .
the cost of an overhaul pretty much relegated them to the bone-pile after the surplus engines/parts were used up .
the newer aircraft were cheaper to run fuel and maintenance wise .

(R. Feynman '88)

ADOR

#38 Post by ADOR »

I have had a chance to get out, but not that direction. LOL. I did decide to hit up google maps and see what they had. There 3d view shows some of the planes. I know there is more in the fence line to the north and I think one or two more frames behind the old hangers. This was still used up till the late 80's early 90's as a airfield. Those planes weren't flying then I know. But were in much better shape, lol. The one behind the two planes in front of the hanger is one complete one in there still with engine. I think that's the only one.

1407 LA-17, Pioneer, Louisiana
is the address.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/1407 ... 91.4748365

CWB

#39 Post by CWB »

hmmm ...
the frame/hulk sitting out front and facing south looks like a "stearman" :
https://encrypted.google.com/search?biw ... Rb3OAV-qx4
these planes had a lot of HP and lift ... agile as 4377 ... very strong airframe .
and indeed they were used for crop-dusting after their service as military aviation trainers .

they would not exist if boeing had not gotten involved with the original faltering company .
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing-Stearman_Model_75
quite a history ...
including many movie roles ... i remember seeing both planes in "north by northwest" as a kid ... the faux pax is explained in the link above .

speaking of "roles" (the other spelling ... "rolls") ... i have had the pleasure of riding in one , affectionately known as "ol' puke-n-roll" .
man , i didn't have nothing left to barf-up but my toenails !
... do i know how to have a good time or what ? ...

(R. Feynman '88)

ADOR

#40 Post by ADOR »

There was another one (Stearman) found years ago in a old barn in Tallulah, Louisiana that was fully redone and put back into service in the 1980.

Also back in the 1980 I remember a old man Merle B. Gustafson In Tallulah had a Corsair F4U. I remember looking up on the playground in grade school and watching him fly. Doing stunts. He would dive hard looking like he wouldn't make it back up. Then he would pull out of it. The airstrip wasn't far from the school. I got to sit in it once and got a few pictures of it. He got killed welding up a gas tank on a boat that was improperly cleaned out. His wife sold the plane before he was even put in the ground to the shock of his children. They were wanting to keep it in the family.

Here is that very plane today.

http://www.warbirdregistry.org/corsairr ... 97286.html

Another little bit of history with it

Merle B. Gustafson - Madison Parish, Louisiana

From Tallulah Madison Journal, October 11, 1984

Friends pay respects to Merle Gustafson
By Carroll Regan

"The eagle has fallen." Thus began the tribute written by pilots at the funeral last Friday for Merle Gustafson,
a legend in his own right.

Merle B. Gustafson, 51, a nationally known airobatic stunt pilot died Thursday at a Greenville, Miss. burn center
where he had been in critical condition for two weeks.

Gustafson was badly burned by the explosion of a fuel tank in a boat on which he was working. The accident occurred
at Scott Airport, where the boat was located. A friend, owner of the shrimp boat, was also injured from the explosion,
though not as bad as Gustafson.

A spokesman at the Mississippi Firefighters Memorial Burn Center at Greenville, where he was taken by helicopter
after the accident, said he sustained second and third degree burns over 62 percent of his body. He suffered second
degree burns over 31 percent of his body.

Gustafson, a farmer and crop duster, was a colonel in the Confederate Air Force (CAF), an organization of about 8,000
pilots. Most own and fly World War II fighter planes and participate in air shows nationwide.

Scott Airport was filled with planes flown in by CAF members Friday, a tribute to Gustafson's popularity.

The fact that he was well-known in flying circles was evident Thursday. "I've had phone calls from just about every state
in the South," said Phillip Crothers, owner of Crothers Funeral Home, which handled funeral arrangements.

According to family members, Gustafson participated in as many as 35 air shows a year. The last show in which he performed
was at Pine Bluff, Ark. in September.

When he performed in the 1979 National Air Races in Reno, other pilots there referred to him as the "granddaddy of them
all" because of his expert flying abilities, family members recall. His renown in the flying world interested California
film makers, and in 1975 a movie based on his exploits was released under the title "The Country Boy."

Gustafson's interest in planes and flying started when he was 14 years old. As a teenager, he worked at Farm Air Service,
loading planes with chemicals for dusting. The first plane he flew was a Piper J-3 Cub while he was still in high school.

For the past 11 years, Gustafson took special pride in flying a U.S. Navy Corsair he restored. Practically all of
Tallulah recognized the sleek blue Corsair, the "Angel of Okinawa," with its powerful engine roaring overhead with
Gustafson at the controls.

A memorial service for Gustafson was held Friday at 2 p.m. at Tallulah First United Methodist Church with the Revs.
David Lawrence, Ray Robbins and Larry Miller officiating. Following the service, mourners gathered behind the church on
the banks of Brushy Bayou to witness seven CAF friends perform a "missing-man" formation flyover as a memorial to
Gustafson. Following the flyover, Howard Pardue of Breckinridge, Tex. roared over the bayou in his Corsair to climax
the emotional event.

Burial was in Providence Memorial Park Cemetery in Tallulah.

Gustafson was a member of the First Baptist Church of Tallulah and Tallulah Masonic Lodge No. 308 F&AM.

He is survived by his widow, Mrs. Sylvia Osborne Gustafson; a daughter, Gay Purvis; a son, Steve Gustafson; his parents,
Mr. and Mrs. Manfred Gustafson, all of Tallulah; three sisters, Alice Gaumnitz and Arlice Evans, both of Tallulah, and
Mavis Bledsoe of St. Petersburg, Fla.; and four grandchildren.

The family requested that memorials be sent to the Mississippi Firefighters Memorial Burn Center in Greenville, or
First Baptist Church.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJJ00tP-Ul0

Return to “Other Laptop & General Off Topic Talk”