Camper / Travel Trailer

Talk about other laptop computers here (Dell, HP, Toshiba etc...)
CWB

Re: Camper / Travel Trailer

#21 Post by CWB »

as long as it is for parts , you'll be ok .

i have been looking for a small 4wd pickup ... there is one in "the cities" (minneapolis/st. paul) ... '88 ranger manual tranny 68K miles .
the guy wants $2600 ... can most likely get him to $2300 (cash) .
it looks to be in good shape ... it is not rusted away like most other stuff around here .
i want more pictures (there are three on crapslist) but he doesn't really know how to post or email them to me .
recently he said that it had sold and two days later he says "make that ; might have it sold ..." .
yeah ... ok ... still , it is not a trip to the store for a loaf of bread , just to say "no thanks" .

point is ... it has a topper .
i think a light weight camper or tag-along would be a good addition .

oh yeah ...
speaking of sagging stuff ...
in needles caliporinia , there is a railway overpass that is on the low clearance side ... warning signs all over on each side of the thing .
i had worked on some stuff at KTOX and was headed back to arizona .
there was a line of traffic backed up , so i decided to walk on up and see what was going on .
yessir , there was a big fancy pickup and camper peeled and wedged in the overpass ... washington state plates on it .
there has been semi trailers shoe-horned in there .
(think of the embarrassment ! HA !)
CF-30 mkI/TS/dvd/custom gps/wwan/wlan/BT/emmsive kb ---- CF-52 mkII/custom TS/dvd/wlan/BT/emmisive kb
CF-19 mkIV/TS/dvd/gps/wwam/wlan/BT/emissive kb/SSD ---- CF-31 mkI/TS/dvd/custom gps/wwan/wlan/emissive kb/SSD
CF-74 dvd/wlan/BT ---- CF-52 mkIII/ATI graphics card/i5-2.53GHz/wlan/BT/SSD (wwan/custom gps/TS coming soon)

"Know how to solve every problem that has been solved"
(R. Feynman '88)
"yessir , that boy has a couple of shorted turns on the primary"
"i've been to three county fairs , two hog calls and a goat ropin' but i aint never seen nothin' like this"

ADOR

#22 Post by ADOR »

I plan on using it more than parts. Just going to take time with it. I won't be in a rush like the last one.

What engine does it have in that 88? The 2.9 v6. I can tell you some trouble areas with that engine. I have had one in a 86 bronco 2. Had to replace the engine with a long block. Still had problems later on. Had to pull the heads and change the head gasket. Found out why over time they over heat so bad. Modded the gasket. No problems after that. (the gasket necks down the head cooling passages holes to a dot. Over time they plug up. I had to ream the hole out full size. They do this because if the head runs hotter they get better emissions out the tail pipe.

That made me think of this.

https://strollingamok.files.wordpress.c ... ontana.jpg

Before leaving the house the first thing I did was measure the total height.

Later on I may just get a light weight hi/low or pop up slide in. That way I can have my low tow height and tow weight. And have a full height to stand in.
CF-28 MK2,Mk3 / CF-29 Mk3 / CF-30 MK2 / CF-25 Mk1 ATI / CF-19 MK3/Mk3/Mk5 / CF-U1 Mk1,Mk2 / CF-M34 Mk7/Mk3 / CF-17 Mk1 / CF-07
Voodoo Envy M355 / M360 / M515 / M780 / U703 / Voodoo Hexx / Voodoo Idol / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 "signed case" / Voodoo Omen
Alienware M11x R1, Alienware 17 R5

CWB

#23 Post by CWB »

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/ ... 38179.html
it has the 8 cylinder ... the guy is hard to get information from ... especially a couple more pictures .
i lied ... it has 61.7Kmiles on it .
shawn has been in on this recon mission ... there were some others but too many miles , kids rigs , no title in hand (!) , etc .
i dunno , it seems to me that if it was ok , someone would have snapped it up .
i have to travel about 3.5 hours one way to eye-ball it .
no problem puling wrenches on it ... after i get it back here .

i am flying to walker mn. this sunday ... for a lousy 5 buck pancake breakfast .
a 1958 cessna 310 , twin continental IO470 (think : sky king) ... need to find an oil pressure regulator ... complete or a spring and spool .
the pressure is just above the bottom limit but it is stable .
i should ask that guy to drive the pickup there .

that de-campering picture was taken outside of billings MT , i spent a week there one night .
i am originally from the glacier park area .
CF-30 mkI/TS/dvd/custom gps/wwan/wlan/BT/emmsive kb ---- CF-52 mkII/custom TS/dvd/wlan/BT/emmisive kb
CF-19 mkIV/TS/dvd/gps/wwam/wlan/BT/emissive kb/SSD ---- CF-31 mkI/TS/dvd/custom gps/wwan/wlan/emissive kb/SSD
CF-74 dvd/wlan/BT ---- CF-52 mkIII/ATI graphics card/i5-2.53GHz/wlan/BT/SSD (wwan/custom gps/TS coming soon)

(R. Feynman '88)
"i've been to three county fairs , two hog calls and a goat ropin' but i aint never seen nothin' like this"

CWB

#24 Post by CWB »

hmmm ...
head gaskets and mopar ...
seems to me that i had to carve out and actually cut some holes in the head gaskets for a 383 ... long ago .

the 390 that was in the 25th silver anniversary edition mercury cars had a tendency to overheat the rear cylinders (worse than normal) .

(R. Feynman '88)

Shawn

#25 Post by Shawn »

Larry.
They nevr put 8 cyl in Rangers. It is either a 2.3 4cyl or a 2.9 v6.
2.9's did have heating issues. I replaced several heads in my Pinto days.
Life will beat you into submission.

ADOR

#26 Post by ADOR »

v8? It's a conversion then. They didn't come with a v8 from the factory. 2.3 inline 4 and 2.9 v6 in 1988. There may be a optional 4cylinder diesel but I have never seen one in person. I know they were a option in 86, but I don't know about 88.

In the picture there is some kind of strap or plug hanging out of the grill. May be that diesel, has he ever driven it? lol.

I do like the 2.3 engine. I really like the 2.3 turbo versions. Just get you a 2.3 turbo version and drop a bigger turbo on it. I have heard that combo is good for over 400 hp.

Own your own plane?
CF-28 MK2,Mk3 / CF-29 Mk3 / CF-30 MK2 / CF-25 Mk1 ATI / CF-19 MK3/Mk3/Mk5 / CF-U1 Mk1,Mk2 / CF-M34 Mk7/Mk3 / CF-17 Mk1 / CF-07
Voodoo Envy M355 / M360 / M515 / M780 / U703 / Voodoo Hexx / Voodoo Idol / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 "signed case" / Voodoo Omen

Shawn

#27 Post by Shawn »

I think it was a Mitsubishi diesel..not sure though.
Life will beat you into submission.

CWB

#28 Post by CWB »

friend owns the plane ... i pull wrenches , navigate and fly ... we work on it together .
the avionics i do on my own .

i believe that guy doesn't know 5417 from shinola .
he has a tough time trying to provide more pictures ... and why i am reluctant to make the trip all that way just to walk off .
i wouldn't be surprized if it was a v6 and he made a typo .
if it is an 8 cylinder , i wonder what it might be .

mitsubishi and toyota built diesel engines for generators ...
i have seen both at transmitter sites .
heh ... watched some clown trying to start one ... what a dip-stick .
he managed to catch it on fire !
the chief engineer and myself just sat back and watched the show .

(R. Feynman '88)

ADOR

#29 Post by ADOR »

If it's a diesel here is the info you want on it.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_li ... iesels.htm

That's a good site. From upkeep on stock to convert to a blown 351 sticking though the hood, lol.

CWB

#30 Post by CWB »

there was a ranger with a 351 (can't remember if it was a cleveland or windsor) up on craigslist ...
i think about 4K was the asking price .

(R. Feynman '88)

Return to “Other Laptop & General Off Topic Talk”