Finally making a dent in the pile

Talk about other laptop computers here (Dell, HP, Toshiba etc...)
ADOR

Finally making a dent in the pile

#1 Post by ADOR »

The last few days I have finally made a dent into the pile out in the shed.

Three CF-M34 Mk7 units up and running. Two need a OS still loaded, one has 7 on it, one of the others is going to have some kind of linux. All have intel 2915 cards, two with 1.2 gb ram, the other 768mb. I was going to put another ssd into these with the ide to msata adapter but after speed testing the CF-29 it maxed at about 30 to 32 mb read/write speeds so I just used some left over hard drives. The CF-M34 I was having problems with when I was doing my adapter testing was one that had a heartland sticker on the motherboard. I swapped out the hard drive caddy and no problems for now. I will have to see if the one I moved that caddy too is having any problems when I go to load linux or 7 on it.

My old CF-29 has a msata 80gb intel ssd in it now with windows 7 loaded. Still sorting drivers. It use to be xp/ubuntu 10.10. Been having trouble getting my original ubuntu 10.10 disk to load inside of windows for a dual boot like I had the previous xp/ubuntu set up. I was just going to see if 12.04 would load the same way but they have removed that option. That same 10.10 has refused to run live also so maybe something is wrong with just the disk.

Loaded up my CF-52 Mk1 with ATI with only Ubuntu 12.04, then upgraded to 14.04. Having to re-learn it some and trying to find a full ATI driver for it.

The CF-U1 Mk1+2 is coming back apart. Touch still won't work on it. Going to try to re-seat the connector hoping that is what is wrong with it. If not all of that may just wind up on the bay.

The CF-52 Mk2 low end I have with bios password was loaded with a CF-74 caddy from the Mk1 CF-52 and I put windows 7 on it. I am currently doing some bios crackers to see if I have any luck with it. If not I plan on just getting wifi for it and leaving it as the main shop pc if I don't go with one of the 74's.

Software cleaned the daughters old CF-74 Mk3. 40gb ssd is about the only real mod done to it.

Broke apart the CF-74 Mk4 and added intel 5100 card to it so it would have wifi. That was the last thing it needed for every day use.

Got the parts together to screw together the last CF-74 I have. It's a Mk1 beat to hell. I don't think touch works but every thing else does. I may just leave it half stripped and save it incase I have a busted screen.

Both CF-25's will be combined into one CF-25 using the CD door and CPU/motherboard from a parts unit that is beat to hell making it the highest spec unit but with a scratch free case. I already have a dock and LOTS of other original factory options for it. I plan to drop DOS on it with a GUI. If I can get it to run it I may try DSL linux as well.

Next is a Pile of CF-T5/W5 units. It's a mix of core duo/core solo models. I plan on trying to use the solo models as parts and use all duo motherboard. Some have busted cases as well so it will be a large mix of parts swapping.

I have one CF-t7 and T8 left and undecided what do to them. Both need a OS reload. ( For some reason I can't get either of my USB DVD drives to work on the T8. I will just have to do like last time and put the drive in the T7 and load the OS there.)

Last is the pile of Mk1/Mk2 CF-19's I have that need to be pieced together including Project Phoenix. Opening the box I had all the parts in I see the new screen I had picked out to complete the Phoenix has been busted. I will have to see what I have left.
CF-28 MK2,Mk3 / CF-29 Mk3 / CF-30 MK2 / CF-25 Mk1 ATI / CF-19 MK3/Mk3/Mk5 / CF-U1 Mk1,Mk2 / CF-M34 Mk7/Mk3 / CF-17 Mk1 / CF-07
Voodoo Envy M355 / M360 / M515 / M780 / U703 / Voodoo Hexx / Voodoo Idol / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 "signed case" / Voodoo Omen
Alienware M11x R1, Alienware 17 R5

ADOR

Re: Finally making a dent in the pile

#2 Post by ADOR »

The world now has one less CF-25.
cf-25lgm8eam
Description: MMX166/10.4"SVGA/32MB/4GBHDD/AR

Fought a tough fight before being forgotten then dumped on ebay. Storage the last two and half years hasn't improved it. Dim screen, trashy keyboard, loose hinge, missing doors. Even the motherboard started to have corrosion start on it at the printer output. The screen upper was salvaged as a whole, motherboard cleaned and put up, the CD door was swapped to CF-25FJF4DAM the only part it was missing. Lots of little parts specific to the 25 was salvaged.

This pc was really stout on the inside. Lots and lots of thick copper (that was saved)

The later Mk2 now is complete. I just need to decide if the Mk3 has enough improvements to swap as a whole or if the CPU will swap.
CF-25FJF4DAM

CPU: Pentium 150MHz
Screen: 12.1″
VRAM: 2MB
RAM: 16MB expandable to 48MB
HDD: 2GB
Battery: NiMH 9.6V 3600mAh
CF-28 MK2,Mk3 / CF-29 Mk3 / CF-30 MK2 / CF-25 Mk1 ATI / CF-19 MK3/Mk3/Mk5 / CF-U1 Mk1,Mk2 / CF-M34 Mk7/Mk3 / CF-17 Mk1 / CF-07
Voodoo Envy M355 / M360 / M515 / M780 / U703 / Voodoo Hexx / Voodoo Idol / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 "signed case" / Voodoo Omen
Alienware M11x R1, Alienware 17 R5

Return to “Other Laptop & General Off Topic Talk”