RCA Cambio tablet> finding com port to mod in gps unit

Talk about other laptop computers here (Dell, HP, Toshiba etc...)
interestingfellow

RCA Cambio tablet> finding com port to mod in gps unit

#1 Post by interestingfellow »

Hey, y'all! I hope everyone has been well!

After having a Toughbook with gps built in for so long (and learning how easyI've decided that I have to add a real gps to my tablet, too. But....I'm not sure where to find the COM port that shows up in device manager.

I've looked at most of the chips on the board, and have identified all the ones I could read part numbers off of and also tried getting a schema from customer service, but no luck!

I don't believe the com port is for the keyboard/ pogo connector because the kb still operates when I disable the com port in devmgr.

So, where do I go from here?

It's an RCA Cambio, Atom 1.33 quad core, 2gb ram, 32gb nand, and everything is soldered to the mobo (no changing out parts).

Here are some high res pics. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!
http://s632.photobucket.com/user/intere ... obo%20pics

Thanks guys! and happy new year!

Shawn

Re: RCA Cambio tablet> finding com port to mod in gps unit

#2 Post by Shawn »

I would go this route. Take it out of the housing and mount it internally. You could piggyback off external usb connector.

Life will beat you into submission.

interestingfellow

#3 Post by interestingfellow »

But, Shawn, that would be way to easy! ;) Besides, i already have a neo6 and active antenna in my hot little hands. i had it plugged up to usb via uart adapter to verify setup/operation. also, it only has 1 usb port. economy tablet, but great so far

interestingfellow

#4 Post by interestingfellow »

turns out it's all built into the chip directly, so if there aren't traces running to the right pins on the processor, and or I can't identify or find those pins, then I'll be SOL. wompwomp.

If anyone has a brilliant revelation let me know, but it turns out I'll have to move the bar lower.

Thanks!

*EDIT
...I2C, maybe? I think that's how the KB is hooked up. maybe I can piggyback that connector... I started messing with arduino, recently, and know very little about I2C, though. Time to read up.

Shawn

#5 Post by Shawn »

Brilliant is not always complicated. :read:
I already gave you the brilliant idea. You just did not like it. :D
Life will beat you into submission.

interestingfellow

#6 Post by interestingfellow »

Shawn wrote:Brilliant is not always complicated. :read:
I already gave you the brilliant idea. You just did not like it. :D
True...

I don't want to loose the only usb port on the unit. I'm pretty sure my new plan is to make verify that the keyboard is I2C, use an arduino nano pro (already have 2 of'm) as an I2C adapter for the gps serial line, and piggyback it. Don't get me wrong, I want the gps in the tablet, but it's also an educational opportunity. I may know a little more now than compared to my first post on nbr/panny, but that's still not much! ;)

I'll report back, for SAGs

*EDIT
I just realized I have no idea how to make windows devmgr "see" the new i2c device added to the kb line as a serial/com port....assuming it can be done easily.

2 steps forward, 1 step back.
2 steps forward, 1 step back.
Realize it's the wrong direction, turn, and repeat.

teo

#7 Post by teo »

On the absence of the schem. it will be difficult for you to identify the physical serial port. The one on the device manager either lan, sd and etc. Even if you do have an schem. of that tablet and the actual serial port is not present. You do need to have a few component to add an actual serial port.

My advice to you, If you have enough space inside is just to grab a 2 to 3 port USB hub and installed inside. I think you know how to installed it since you do have one active USB on tablet. Do not desolder the existing USB port/header just the active pin or just cut out the line. Then soldered that header usb pin into one of the usb port so that you can still have an active usb port accessible outside.

teo

interestingfellow

#8 Post by interestingfellow »

Aye. I trust y'alls advice....

I'm going to crack it open again, and poke around a bit, just to make sure I can't figure something better out (I have low expectations there)

Thanks and TTYS!

interestingfellow

#9 Post by interestingfellow »

Shawn wrote:I would go this route. Take it out of the housing and mount it internally. You could piggyback off external usb connector.

I just got one from amazon for $15, and it's pretty sweet! 500kb driver from ublox, and it creates it's own com port.

I would recommend one to anyone debating on it.

Return to “Other Laptop & General Off Topic Talk”