Snow throwers?

Talk about other laptop computers here (Dell, HP, Toshiba etc...)
Shawn

Re: Snow throwers?

#11 Post by Shawn »

Rob, Don't believe everything from the old boys network..
My opinion on small engines is that there is HONDA and then everything else. If it's not a Honda, it doesn't make much difference what it is..

You want to read this page. It's located here

http://movingsnow.com/2013/snow-blower-engines/

Husky equipment is better made...I used to work at a Husky dealer...

Honda Clone, Chinese Knock-Off, Not Anymore.

These two terms being spewed around the Internet and they are confusing most of us when we go shopping for snow blowers. These terms are used by uninformed “experts” to make you think that one brand of engine is inferior to another. I’m tired of them whining about how things have changed. These “experts” also have stated erroneously on many forums and answer sites who makes engines found on the current U.S. brands of snow blowers. This short article puts the facts all in one place.

The most common question this year is: Where is the engine made?

Fact: The truth is today’s snow blower engines are all overhead valve designs and are much more reliable than the ones of the past.

Fact: All of these engines are engineered here in the U.S. and all parts are easily available. If your local repair shop complains about not being able to get parts….it’s time to change repair shops.

Note: Today’s engines on snow blowers are the most reliable snow blower engine you have ever owned. They are very emission’s compliant, fuel efficient, quieter and easy to start. But many owners complain about the engines won’t start or they won’t stay running. The problems are not with the engine…It’s your fuel or fuel storage. Why? The carburetors on these engines are very precise. Dirt, scale and rust that used to pass right through the old carbs will permanently ruin these new ones. You can not ignore your new engine’s fuel system the way you ignored your old one. You can no longer let your gas set in an open gas can, outside, in the snow and expect the snow blower to run flawlessly. Don’t expect your new snow blower to run well (if at all) on the gas you bought for it last winter.

Starting Problems Are Not Warrantied! There is now a quick test that the mechanic uses to test whether the fuel in your gas tank is stale and that is the cause of your starting problems. Bad Fuel, Fuel Separation, E-15 fuel, water in the fuel, and in most cases the carburetor itself are not warrantied. You will be charged for at the least a carb cleaning, but usually a new carb if your motor won’t start and the problem is fuel.

Buy a new gas can. Learn how to use the fill spout before winter comes. Keep no more than a month’s worth of gas in it for your snow blower. Use a fuel stabilizer. I highly recommend Marine Stabil or Sea Foam.

Snow Engines – Who Makes What?

There are only three manufactures of winterized engines currently being installed on the snow blowers I am going to review this season. Every one of the brands has a proven record of reliability. In fact in the last two years all of these motors have service records that are the best the industry has ever seen. Parts and service are easy to get from the dealer or retailer you purchased it from. They are designed to run on todays fuel (Do NOT use E-15 or E-85) AND HAVE MUCH LOWER EMISSIONS than motors sold just a few years ago. No I didn’t forget about Honda and Stanley. They only install snow motors on their own brand.

1x1.trans Who Makes Briggs & Stratton, MTD, Craftsman, Ariens, and Husqvarna Snow Blower Engines Briggs & Stratton Snow Series: An American Company that contracts out their snow blower engine manufacturing to plants in China. According to the Briggs & Stratton website the following engines are NOT made in the U.S.A. 800, 900, 1150, 2100 Snow Series™ Source: Briggs & Stratton Engine Manufacturing Locations. I don’t know the names of the companies in China that B&S uses. B&S engineers their motors here in the U.S. and has the engines made by specific manufacturing plants. The horizontal shaft engines have the same reliability as all B&S engines are known for. All B&S motors have a B&S label somewhere on them. B&S snow engines that are made in the USA have the “made in USA” sticker on them.

Parts for these engines are readily available through Briggs & Stratton and their nationwide network of dealers. One item you should be aware of: Briggs does their own warranty work. Don’t be surprised if you purchase a name brand snow blower from a retail store, go to the snow blower’s dealer network for repairs and are told you have to go to Briggs & Stratton for authorization to get the engine repaired. B&S snow engines are warrantied by B&S, not the snow blower manufacture it is mounted on. Ariens Polar Force engines are B&S. Toro and other brands also use B&S motors.

1x1.trans Who Makes Briggs & Stratton, MTD, Craftsman, Ariens, and Husqvarna Snow Blower Engines LCT Snow King, Storm Force, Ariens AX: LCT An American Company that owns their own engine manufacturing plants in China. LCT winter engines are labeled as Storm Force. They took over the old Tecumseh engine rights and the Snow King Brand. You will mainly see this brand on Ariens AX, Sno-tek and Husqvarna snow blowers but there are a few smaller brands now using LCT. Ariens AX and Snow King are LCT engines. Note: LCT also makes engines for many other brands like Snow Devil, etc. These engines are spec’d by the snow blower manufacture and will have different components (less quality) than the Ariens, Snow Force and Snow King branded engines.

LCT engines have LCT on the valve cover. LCT engines on Ariens and Husqvarna snow blowers are warrantied through the respective dealers and the Ariens and Husqvarna dealers can make your repairs. LCT engines mounted on Power Smart snow blowers are warrantied through LCT and repairs must be approved from LCT.

1x1.trans Who Makes Briggs & Stratton, MTD, Craftsman, Ariens, and Husqvarna Snow Blower Engines Craftsman, PowerMore™ OHV Winterized Engines: An American Brand owned by MTD. MTD has partnered with Zongshen to produce these snow blower engines in China. When the motor is sold by itself it’s labeled “Powermore” but is usually labeled the same as the snow blower it is mounted on. In other words if you buy a Craftsman snow blower it will be labeled as a Craftsman engine. Cub Cadet, Troy-Bilt, and Yard Machines engines are labeled the same way. As far as I know MTD does not change the quality of the engine for the different brands. A Troy-Bilt motor has the same quality as a Cub Cadet or Craftsman. All PowerMore engines are warrantied through the snow blower brand they are mounted on.

Parts are easily available through your authorized Cub Cadet, Troy-Bilt, Yard Machines dealer. Parts are also readily available through Sear Parts Direct and Sears Repair Services.

Tecumseh: Lawson Power Products (Tecumseh:) quit making engines in 2008. LCT has partnered with them and is now using the technology and brand names from the old Tecumseh product line.

Honda: A Japanese Company that manufactures snow blower engines in China

Loncin, Zhejiang, Zongshen: Primary Chinese Engine Manufactures. You will find these names on the Chinese snow blowers some of the discount websites are trying to sell.
Life will beat you into submission.

Twocents

#12 Post by Twocents »

Rob,

I got a Cub Cadet model 1X 221LHP last year and it is amazing! The ability to adjust the chute with levers on the handle rocks. The light was all decidedly worth getting, though I did not use the machine when it was snowing heavily. In light snow the light had to be cleaned off every so often. I am in the city so I don't have a huge driveway, but I am clearing street parking. I don't remember offhand which dealer I used, but it was a father/son outfit and they were great to deal with. If you are interested let me know and I'll dig up the receipt tomorrow evening.

Rob
Toughbooktalk Founder

#13 Post by Rob »

Shawn wrote:Rob, Don't believe everything from the old boys network..
My opinion on small engines is that there is HONDA and then everything else. If it's not a Honda, it doesn't make much difference what it is..

These two terms being spewed around the Internet and they are confusing most of us when we go shopping for snow blowers. These terms are used by uninformed “experts” to make you think that one brand of engine is inferior to another. I’m tired of them whining about how things have changed. These “experts” also have stated erroneously on many forums and answer sites who makes engines found on the current U.S. brands of snow blowers. This short article puts the facts all in one place.

Fact: The truth is today’s snow blower engines are all overhead valve designs and are much more reliable than the ones of the past.

Fact: All of these engines are engineered here in the U.S. and all parts are easily available. If your local repair shop complains about not being able to get parts….it’s time to change repair shops.

Note: Today’s engines on snow blowers are the most reliable snow blower engine you have ever owned. They are very emission’s compliant, fuel efficient, quieter and easy to start. But many owners complain about the engines won’t start or they won’t stay running. The problems are not with the engine…It’s your fuel or fuel storage. Why? The carburetors on these engines are very precise. Dirt, scale and rust that used to pass right through the old carbs will permanently ruin these new ones. You can not ignore your new engine’s fuel system the way you ignored your old one. You can no longer let your gas set in an open gas can, outside, in the snow and expect the snow blower to run flawlessly. Don’t expect your new snow blower to run well (if at all) on the gas you bought for it last winter.

Starting Problems Are Not Warrantied! There is now a quick test that the mechanic uses to test whether the fuel in your gas tank is stale and that is the cause of your starting problems. Bad Fuel, Fuel Separation, E-15 fuel, water in the fuel, and in most cases the carburetor itself are not warrantied. You will be charged for at the least a carb cleaning, but usually a new carb if your motor won’t start and the problem is fuel.

Buy a new gas can. Learn how to use the fill spout before winter comes. Keep no more than a month’s worth of gas in it for your snow blower. Use a fuel stabilizer. I highly recommend Marine Stabil or Sea Foam.

There are only three manufactures of winterized engines currently being installed on the snow blowers I am going to review this season. Every one of the brands has a proven record of reliability. In fact in the last two years all of these motors have service records that are the best the industry has ever seen. Parts and service are easy to get from the dealer or retailer you purchased it from. They are designed to run on todays fuel (Do NOT use E-15 or E-85) AND HAVE MUCH LOWER EMISSIONS than motors sold just a few years ago. No I didn’t forget about Honda and Stanley. They only install snow motors on their own brand.

1x1.trans Who Makes Briggs & Stratton, MTD, Craftsman, Ariens, and Husqvarna Snow Blower Engines Briggs & Stratton Snow Series: An American Company that contracts out their snow blower engine manufacturing to plants in China. According to the Briggs & Stratton website the following engines are NOT made in the U.S.A. 800, 900, 1150, 2100 Snow Series™ Source: Briggs & Stratton Engine Manufacturing Locations. I don’t know the names of the companies in China that B&S uses. B&S engineers their motors here in the U.S. and has the engines made by specific manufacturing plants. The horizontal shaft engines have the same reliability as all B&S engines are known for. All B&S motors have a B&S label somewhere on them. B&S snow engines that are made in the USA have the “made in USA” sticker on them.

Parts for these engines are readily available through Briggs & Stratton and their nationwide network of dealers. One item you should be aware of: Briggs does their own warranty work. Don’t be surprised if you purchase a name brand snow blower from a retail store, go to the snow blower’s dealer network for repairs and are told you have to go to Briggs & Stratton for authorization to get the engine repaired. B&S snow engines are warrantied by B&S, not the snow blower manufacture it is mounted on. Ariens Polar Force engines are B&S. Toro and other brands also use B&S motors.

1x1.trans Who Makes Briggs & Stratton, MTD, Craftsman, Ariens, and Husqvarna Snow Blower Engines LCT Snow King, Storm Force, Ariens AX: LCT An American Company that owns their own engine manufacturing plants in China. LCT winter engines are labeled as Storm Force. They took over the old Tecumseh engine rights and the Snow King Brand. You will mainly see this brand on Ariens AX, Sno-tek and Husqvarna snow blowers but there are a few smaller brands now using LCT. Ariens AX and Snow King are LCT engines. Note: LCT also makes engines for many other brands like Snow Devil, etc. These engines are spec’d by the snow blower manufacture and will have different components (less quality) than the Ariens, Snow Force and Snow King branded engines.

LCT engines have LCT on the valve cover. LCT engines on Ariens and Husqvarna snow blowers are warrantied through the respective dealers and the Ariens and Husqvarna dealers can make your repairs. LCT engines mounted on Power Smart snow blowers are warrantied through LCT and repairs must be approved from LCT.

1x1.trans Who Makes Briggs & Stratton, MTD, Craftsman, Ariens, and Husqvarna Snow Blower Engines Craftsman, PowerMore™ OHV Winterized Engines: An American Brand owned by MTD. MTD has partnered with Zongshen to produce these snow blower engines in China. When the motor is sold by itself it’s labeled “Powermore” but is usually labeled the same as the snow blower it is mounted on. In other words if you buy a Craftsman snow blower it will be labeled as a Craftsman engine. Cub Cadet, Troy-Bilt, and Yard Machines engines are labeled the same way. As far as I know MTD does not change the quality of the engine for the different brands. A Troy-Bilt motor has the same quality as a Cub Cadet or Craftsman. All PowerMore engines are warrantied through the snow blower brand they are mounted on.

Parts are easily available through your authorized Cub Cadet, Troy-Bilt, Yard Machines dealer. Parts are also readily available through Sear Parts Direct and Sears Repair Services.

Tecumseh: Lawson Power Products (Tecumseh:) quit making engines in 2008. LCT has partnered with them and is now using the technology and brand names from the old Tecumseh product line.

Loncin, Zhejiang, Zongshen: Primary Chinese Engine Manufactures. You will find these names on the Chinese snow blowers some of the discount websites are trying to sell.
WOW... :eek: :eek: :eek: This is simply amazing... WOW!!! WOW!!! I'm happy you shared this. This basically sums up what I've tried researching in the last week... Thank you for this kind sir!

My 2 cents here: That whole "You need to use your fuel within 1 month" is a load of BS IMO... That's the ONLY thing I don't agree with!!! I have a B&S genny that is 13HP and it cranks my entire house! I've left fuel in there for OVER A YEAR and it still starts on the FIRST pull. Yes, I know it might now be as efficient but it still works. Run it down a little and add fresh :). YES, I ALWAYS shut the fuel off and empty the carbs when I'm done with it!!

Thanks!
~Rob - Vice President - Rugged Depot~
~Cell: (630)/300-8877~
~Owner - Toughbooktalk~
~Fully rugged Toughbook user since April 18th 2005~
~FZ-40ACAAHKM - Primary Toughbook / Workstation as of 7/29/22
~Win10 Pro (Win11 DG), Intel Core i5-1145G7 (up to 4.4GHz), vPro, 14.0" FHD Gloved Multi Touch, 16GB, 1TB Samsung SSD, Intel Wi-Fi 6, Bluetooth, 4G EM7690, GPS, Quad Pass (BIOS Selectable), Mic and Infrared 5MP Webcam, Standard Battery, TPM 2.0, Emissive Backlit Keyboard, Dual Batteries, USB A + HDMI + Serial X-PAK, Shoulder Strap, Flat~
~AT&T Business 1GB Fiber 1GB/1GB business static line~
~Gamber & Johnson Platinum Partner~

http://www.toughbooktalk.com
http://downloads.toughbooktalk.com/
http://www.rugged575.com - 300' UHF GMRS Radio Repeater
http://www.crete600.com - 310' UHF Linked GMRS Radio Repeater

~Emergency preparedness starts with reliable communication systems above all. Pretend the internet and cell phones didn’t exist, how will you communicate? If you’re interested in learning more, ask me!~

Shawn

#14 Post by Shawn »

Fuel depends upon time of year and where you are in the country..Some fuel does go bad rapidly...We see it all the time in the pressure washers that come into the shop here in western Pennsylvania. It smells like turpentine...really bad and not like gasoline at all.

Draining the carb is very good idea

Twocents

#15 Post by Twocents »

What I was told by the Cub Cadet dealer about gas was to use the Briggs & Stratton gas additive and then whatever gas was treated with it should be good to go for I want to say a year...? I have no idea of how accurate this is, but I do believe this guy knew what he was talking about. I certainly had no problem starting my machine, gotta love the electric starter instead of a pull cord!

ADOR

#16 Post by ADOR »

Rob wrote:
Shawn wrote:Rob, Don't believe everything from the old boys network..

WOW... :eek: :eek: :eek: This is simply amazing... WOW!!! WOW!!! I'm happy you shared this. This basically sums up what I've tried researching in the last week... Thank you for this kind sir!

My 2 cents here: That whole "You need to use your fuel within 1 month" is a load of BS IMO... That's the ONLY thing I don't agree with!!! I have a B&S genny that is 13HP and it cranks my entire house! I've left fuel in there for OVER A YEAR and it still starts on the FIRST pull. Yes, I know it might now be as efficient but it still works. Run it down a little and add fresh :). YES, I ALWAYS shut the fuel off and empty the carbs when I'm done with it!!

Thanks!

On the fuel you will have problems if you use the ethanol fuel and storing it long term. I used STA-BIL in my ATV's like I did with the regular gas and it over the winter eat the guts out of the inside of my Carburetor. I later found out it takes special additive to store that type of fuel. There is only one place in town that carries the non ethanol fuel now. It's just when it sits up and doesn't run. Here is a picture I dug up. It's not mine but give you a idea of what I found.

CF-28 MK2,Mk3 / CF-29 Mk3 / CF-30 MK2 / CF-25 Mk1 ATI / CF-19 MK3/Mk3/Mk5 / CF-U1 Mk1,Mk2 / CF-M34 Mk7/Mk3 / CF-17 Mk1 / CF-07
Voodoo Envy M355 / M360 / M515 / M780 / U703 / Voodoo Hexx / Voodoo Idol / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 "signed case" / Voodoo Omen
Alienware M11x R1, Alienware 17 R5

Shawn

#17 Post by Shawn »

I've seen MANY carbs that look like that. They use Ethanol certain times of the year around here. I can get a "Honda" replacement carb for $13.00.......

ADOR

#18 Post by ADOR »

The ones for my threewheelers are cheap now, but I would rather not put a new one on them once a year.
CF-28 MK2,Mk3 / CF-29 Mk3 / CF-30 MK2 / CF-25 Mk1 ATI / CF-19 MK3/Mk3/Mk5 / CF-U1 Mk1,Mk2 / CF-M34 Mk7/Mk3 / CF-17 Mk1 / CF-07
Voodoo Envy M355 / M360 / M515 / M780 / U703 / Voodoo Hexx / Voodoo Idol / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 "signed case" / Voodoo Omen
Alienware M11x R1, Alienware 17 R5

Rob
Toughbooktalk Founder

#19 Post by Rob »

Here she is boys!!! I ended up getting the first unit I set my eyes on. After over a week of research and balancing my budget I ended up getting this girl BRAND NEW for $465 cash. For what I got I think I got a GOOD deal... It's not a Toughbook of snow blowers, but for sure she'll work for hopefully 10 years! :)

I took her a step further and put 2 of the crazy bright (85 lumens) LED lights on it as well since that was something I really wanted but had to sacrifice.

It will work out well and I think the LED lights are actually brighter and are shining in the direction I want anyways :)
IMG_20141112_201851137.jpg
IMG_20141112_201851137.jpg (151.49 KiB) Viewed 7489 times
IMG_20141113_202607606.jpg
IMG_20141113_202607606.jpg (171.84 KiB) Viewed 7489 times
~Rob - Vice President - Rugged Depot~
~Cell: (630)/300-8877~
~Owner - Toughbooktalk~
~Fully rugged Toughbook user since April 18th 2005~
~FZ-40ACAAHKM - Primary Toughbook / Workstation as of 7/29/22
~Win10 Pro (Win11 DG), Intel Core i5-1145G7 (up to 4.4GHz), vPro, 14.0" FHD Gloved Multi Touch, 16GB, 1TB Samsung SSD, Intel Wi-Fi 6, Bluetooth, 4G EM7690, GPS, Quad Pass (BIOS Selectable), Mic and Infrared 5MP Webcam, Standard Battery, TPM 2.0, Emissive Backlit Keyboard, Dual Batteries, USB A + HDMI + Serial X-PAK, Shoulder Strap, Flat~
~AT&T Business 1GB Fiber 1GB/1GB business static line~
~Gamber & Johnson Platinum Partner~

http://www.toughbooktalk.com
http://downloads.toughbooktalk.com/
http://www.rugged575.com - 300' UHF GMRS Radio Repeater
http://www.crete600.com - 310' UHF Linked GMRS Radio Repeater

~Emergency preparedness starts with reliable communication systems above all. Pretend the internet and cell phones didn’t exist, how will you communicate? If you’re interested in learning more, ask me!~

Shawn

#20 Post by Shawn »

I want to see some action shots!

Return to “Other Laptop & General Off Topic Talk”