Desktop Build

Talk about other laptop computers here (Dell, HP, Toshiba etc...)
ADOR

Desktop Build

#1 Post by ADOR »

Well got yet another build I have been working on with my son. Usually he gets one part at a time to upgrade his desktop when he brings home a good report card. This started several years ago. First desktop was a hand me down emachine. Took it from a stock machine to max of 2gb ram, 7600gts video card, upgraded hard drive. His computer needs over that time teaching himself to program and making video games called for a better machine. I got a used dell dual core desktop from ebay and the process started off again. Maxed out at raptor 10K hard drive, 6gb ram, 2.4 dual core, 6750 ati video card. He wanted a little more power so all the parts were swapped to another chassis I was working on so he went then to Hp business class machine with 2.3 x3 core. That is what is on now. He is wanting to upgrade again and has been saving up his upgrade "points" and parts is what he wants for Christmas.

These are the two parts I have fully decided on. 990 AMD motherboard and 16GB ram.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813157281

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820231489

So the big deciding factor is the CPU. This is going to be a all AMD build. Originally I have been wanting to see what the new x8 core processers can do but every review I read they are getting smoked even by the older AMD chips. I am currently leaning toward a FX X6 core or Phenom 2 x6 core. I have also considered a FX or Phenom 2 quad core with over 3.0 clock speed.

Have any of you messed with the newer AMD chips?
CF-28 MK2,Mk3 / CF-29 Mk3 / CF-30 MK2 / CF-25 Mk1 ATI / CF-19 MK3/Mk3/Mk5 / CF-U1 Mk1,Mk2 / CF-M34 Mk7/Mk3 / CF-17 Mk1 / CF-07
Voodoo Envy M355 / M360 / M515 / M780 / U703 / Voodoo Hexx / Voodoo Idol / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 "signed case" / Voodoo Omen
Alienware M11x R1, Alienware 17 R5

Silver Trooper

Re: Desktop Build

#2 Post by Silver Trooper »

I have never done a build for gaming, but the unit I am on now is an older Athlon 64 Dual Core 5600+ with 4GB RAM and with Windows 7 it runs great. I have toyed with the idea of upgrading (I built it about four or five years ago), but I really have no need as I am not a gamer.
One CF-52, four CF-18's, 4.5 CF-28's, one CF-29, five CF-M34's, two CF-37's, one CF-P2 and two CF-P1's. There are also two Getac A320T's, one Fieldpac and two IBM Transnotes. Not to mention the AMD 5600 CPU with three monitors and several HP PDA's. Whew! Must quit buying...no, must have MORE! Then there are the weapons...

Ineptocracy: A system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

ADOR

Re: Desktop Build

#3 Post by ADOR »

Wound up changing it up some.

8gb ram (4gb x 2) ( I will pick up 8gb more or maybe even 16gb more later on for it)

All the reviews the FX chips just weren't cutting it if you already had a good sized X4 or X6 Phenom 2 Cpu, upgrading from a older cpu than that and it was worth it. I went with Phenom 2, 2.7 x6 core. It still beats the x 8 core bulldozer and piledriver CPU's.

Went with a Asus 970 extreme motherboard. Can still handle dual video cards.

Working on getting a used alienware case from ebay and aftermarket cooling fan for it. Should be a dam fine system.
CF-28 MK2,Mk3 / CF-29 Mk3 / CF-30 MK2 / CF-25 Mk1 ATI / CF-19 MK3/Mk3/Mk5 / CF-U1 Mk1,Mk2 / CF-M34 Mk7/Mk3 / CF-17 Mk1 / CF-07
Voodoo Envy M355 / M360 / M515 / M780 / U703 / Voodoo Hexx / Voodoo Idol / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 "signed case" / Voodoo Omen
Alienware M11x R1, Alienware 17 R5

Return to “Other Laptop & General Off Topic Talk”