Telephone service utilizing your internet connection

Got something going on that involves networking, firewalls or wireless? Post it here.
tomcat57

Telephone service utilizing your internet connection

#1 Post by tomcat57 »

Skype, Magicjack and others

How do they work?
How much do they cost?
Features and benefits to each system
Recommendations

Do others here use them?

I’m lost, I don’t even have a long distance package on my normal telephone service

Alex

Silver Trooper

Re: Telephone service utilizing your internet connection

#2 Post by Silver Trooper »

Since my phone service special ran its course, I have now started paying $30 @ month with my cable company. I was only paying .99 @ month with the special rate, so I am thinking about going to Majicjack. (Although I have over 2000 rollover minutes on my cell with AT&T, I may not need any other phone service at all.) One thing to keep in mind about Majicjack, it will store information on your number and the numbers you call. If you ever get into a situation with your friends in law enforcement, they can obtain that info to use against you. Also, if LE can get to the info, I would be wary of others that may also, with less lawful intentions in mind. :evil:
One CF-52, four CF-18's, 4.5 CF-28's, one CF-29, five CF-M34's, two CF-37's, one CF-P2 and two CF-P1's. There are also two Getac A320T's, one Fieldpac and two IBM Transnotes. Not to mention the AMD 5600 CPU with three monitors and several HP PDA's. Whew! Must quit buying...no, must have MORE! Then there are the weapons...

Ineptocracy: A system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

rjenkins

#3 Post by rjenkins »

Skype uses their own proprietry system. It works well, is generally good quality and is Free!
Calls to other skype users are free, calls to land lin phones are chargeable (you have to add credit before you can make land line calls).
The software is a free download, all you need is a PC (Toughbook) with mike & speaker.

Magicjack is (I believe) also a proprietry gadget and protocol. It allows normal phones to be connected rather than using the PC mike & speakers.

The general name for any voice-over-broadband system is VoIP - Voice over Internet Protocol.
The commonest standard system is SIP - this is supported by numerous providers and masses of hardware and software.

You can get cheap and free accounts that allow incoming & outgoing calls to the 'normal' land line & mobile phone system

I use a provider called Sipgate, who give you a free incoming land-line number (called a DID, direct inward dial), and outgoing calls at a relatively low cost. I connect to them with a software PBX telephone exchange (Asterisk) which has several extension phones and also connects to my normal land line.

Another one is 'voipstunt' who give you a few hours a week of free calls to just about anywhere in the world for a subscription cost of a few dollars a year.
They have their own software phone which you must use to create the account, but then you can use the login info with any generic SIP software or hardware device.

There are many, many more.

You can get a little box that connects in line with a normal phone, plus an ethernet link to your broadband internet. This is set up via a web browser and connects to a SIP account on whatever provider you chose.
You can then make and receive calls both by your normal phone company and via the internet service using your normal house phones & no computer needed.
An example of one of these is a Sipura / Linksys SPA3102

You can do some neat tricks with combinations of gear..
My mobile (Nokia E65) has both built-in WiFi and a SIP client.
This is configured to connect to my PBX when I'm in range of my home network, and it then also acts as a cordless extension to the landline phone, while still also accepting mobile calls.

Another thing you can do is get an account with the incoming number in another country - so friends or relatives there can call you without an international charge. You can also do this for another city if it puts the number in a 'free local calls' zone with someone..

For more info, have a look at these sites:
http://www.asterisk.org - incredibly powerfull software phone system (that uses horrendously complex text config files).

http://www.freepbx.org - web based configuration & control system for asterisk that makes setup a doddle and adds many facilities.

http://www.voip-info.org/ - site that lists just about anything in any way connected to VoIP stuff, and has lists of providers of cheap & free DIDs on various countries.

Robert.
Robert Jenkins
Presently using a CF-31 Mk5, Toughbook #10 (I think.. too many to keep track of)

twillingham

#4 Post by twillingham »

Hey Silver Trooper I need to ask you a question about lighted keyboards. Can you send me your email address twillingham@ovi.com
CF-73 (MK5) Windows XP, Intel 2.0, 80 gig HD. WiFi, Intel 2915 A/B/G, 1 Gig Ram, DVD/CDRW

Rob
Toughbooktalk Founder

#5 Post by Rob »

My fiance's father uses magicjack... works great... buy you need to always have your computer on...

That's all I know lol :D
~Rob - Vice President - Rugged Depot~
~Cell: (630)/300-8877~
~Owner - Toughbooktalk~
~Fully rugged Toughbook user since April 18th 2005~
~FZ-40ACAAHKM - Primary Toughbook / Workstation as of 7/29/22
~Win10 Pro (Win11 DG), Intel Core i5-1145G7 (up to 4.4GHz), vPro, 14.0" FHD Gloved Multi Touch, 16GB, 1TB Samsung SSD, Intel Wi-Fi 6, Bluetooth, 4G EM7690, GPS, Quad Pass (BIOS Selectable), Mic and Infrared 5MP Webcam, Standard Battery, TPM 2.0, Emissive Backlit Keyboard, Dual Batteries, USB A + HDMI + Serial X-PAK, Shoulder Strap, Flat~
~AT&T Business 1GB Fiber 1GB/1GB business static line~
~Gamber & Johnson Platinum Partner~

http://www.toughbooktalk.com
http://downloads.toughbooktalk.com/
http://www.rugged575.com - 300' UHF GMRS Radio Repeater
http://www.crete600.com - 310' UHF Linked GMRS Radio Repeater

~Emergency preparedness starts with reliable communication systems above all. Pretend the internet and cell phones didn’t exist, how will you communicate? If you’re interested in learning more, ask me!~

Return to “Networking, Firewalls, & Wireless Talk”