Just aquired a LaCie 1TB Gigabit Ethernet Disk.

Got something going on that involves networking, firewalls or wireless? Post it here.
Bill_TN

Just aquired a LaCie 1TB Gigabit Ethernet Disk.

#1 Post by Bill_TN »

Well 1 of the hdd's is screwed. Can't seem to get the thing to boot from usb anything. Even tho the bios say they support it. Have bumped it to 1 gig ram from original 256. Boots as far as the login screen. But don't have pass word so stuck that far. Bummer. But I'm not giving up yet.
CF-29ET, CF-28ST, CF-30G , CF-M34, CF-19Ch, CF-19FH, CF-19CD, CF-73 mk1, CF-74K & H, CF-51RCB, CF-51RCL, CF-52CC .

As long as the deal is good for you it is good for me.

Member of Toughbooktalk and Notebook Review forums

Bill_TN

Re: Just aquired a LaCie 1TB Gigabit Ethernet Disk.

#2 Post by Bill_TN »

Waiting for the seller to shoot me the info I need. I imagine if push came to shove I could mount the hdds in a simple tower and do what I need to do there. The ultimate thought process is to attach this thing under my desk and make it the home server. Probably end up with NAS or something else Linux on it instead of the XP system it has now.
CF-29ET, CF-28ST, CF-30G , CF-M34, CF-19Ch, CF-19FH, CF-19CD, CF-73 mk1, CF-74K & H, CF-51RCB, CF-51RCL, CF-52CC .

Shawn

#3 Post by Shawn »

Full model number?
Life will beat you into submission.

Bill_TN

#4 Post by Bill_TN »

Maaaannnn... BRB have to get my eyes.

Model 300963 Which was a 1TB IDE hdd set up. 4x250gb hdds. 1 is dead. I have a large selection of replacement hdds so that isn't an issue at all.

Link to the data sheet.
http://www.lacie.com/lacie-content/data ... bit_en.pdf

I think this is gonna be an adventure.

Shawn

#5 Post by Shawn »

I do not know about that specific model, but some storage setups like that require all of the drives to be the exact same one.

It says XP embedded. I am guessing that XP is in the BIOS/motherboard and can not be upgraded or changed to Linux.

Shawn

#6 Post by Shawn »

try this

Thank you for contacting LaCie Technical Support. Here is how you can reset the settings on the drive:

-Turn the drive off
-When pushing the power button to switch the drive ON, keep holding the power button until the blue LED of the power button starts to flicker and then release the button.
-Then, after 1 or 2 seconds the button’s LED should flicker with another rhythm.
-Push the button again. After a few seconds, the LED will flicker again but with a third different rhythm. Release the button. -If the drive turns off then the power button was held in two long during the last step, please try again if the drive powers off.

The product should now be reset to its factory default settings.

==========================================

Bill_TN

#7 Post by Bill_TN »

If it was on the MB then it ought to boot to the OS with the hdds removed, or disconnected. Doesn't. But does atempt to boot to OS with all but the dead hdd attached. But still "waiting" for the password to access the hdd's OS.
Since it seems the OS is on the ndds my thought process led to linux. Which the specs say the original system was compatible with.

Fun fun fun.

Shawn

#8 Post by Shawn »

I guess I did not explain well enough. From what I read, the reset procedure I posted will remove the password.

Bill_TN

#9 Post by Bill_TN »

As I assumed. But would be a hard systems reset. Removing any goodies that might be in the original set up............. Like reseting a laptop to factory day 1.

Shawn

#10 Post by Shawn »

Nope...the story I read says that it does not delete data

reset worked like a charm on my BD also. Worth noting -- resetting the admin PW did NOT erase the data on the disk -- it merely reset network, user, and share information. All files on my previously existing share remained on the drive (though the share lost its name, and defaulted to "share"), and I could access them after the reset (once I signed in with the reset admin id/pw).

Something to keep in mind if you're using this to store sensitive information.

Return to “Networking, Firewalls, & Wireless Talk”