bios password

Post all questions and information about the CF-30 in here.
teo

Re: bios password

#11 Post by teo »

rusty503 wrote:Removed both batteries. Also disconnected input power. One interesting thing is that there is another connector right next to the CMOS battery connector (CN46) It is the same type in a different color and flipped 180 degrees. The CMOS battery connector will fit into it but I haven't deteremined what it is used for yet. Yes, I have tried hooking the battery up to it but didn't find any difference. Still locked out.

Rust..I can't seem to find the connector that you mentioned on the schematic. I am now on the process of identifying the eeprom used by panasonic on CF-30 in order to desolder it and replace a new one. Maybe somebody here here know what type it is or maybe you can find it. Sorrry!man, my unit is not yet arrive probably on friday this week.

teo

ToughNut

#12 Post by ToughNut »

Teo, is your 30 able to boot from FDD or CDD, and have you tried killcmos that Alex mentioned? Desolder an eeprom??? You must have awfully good eyes to even consider that! *shudders*

teo

#13 Post by teo »

ToughNut wrote:Teo, is your 30 able to boot from FDD or CDD, and have you tried killcmos that Alex mentioned? Desolder an eeprom??? You must have awfully good eyes to even consider that! *shudders*

Ron.. I don't know yet as it is still on transit. If it will, I'm gonna try that first but if not and no other choice, maybe I go ahead to my plan. I done it before twice on IBM T30. It only need patience and detrmination. I am a near sighted,Lol..thats why I still hve a good vision plus a 10x magnification.

teo

ToughNut

#14 Post by ToughNut »

Teo,
Allow me to side-track a little to ask what type of soldering iron you're using for such fine/tiny connections? I have a commonly available type (not sure how you'd classify these) but it's can be seen at the bottom image of this page. Works great... so long as the wires are as big as my thumb!! LOL!!

Whatever it is, do update how you overcome the BIOS issue.

Keep well,
Ron in SG

rusty503

#15 Post by rusty503 »

rusty503 wrote:Rust..I can't seem to find the connector that you mentioned on the schematic. I am now on the process of identifying the eeprom used by panasonic on CF-30 in order to desolder it and replace a new one. Maybe somebody here here know what type it is or maybe you can find it. Sorrry!man, my unit is not yet arrive probably on friday this week.
If you are like me, I could only find a service manual for the MK1. I didn't find the connector in there either. That's why I asked in another thread if someone had one for the MK3. Trust me, it is there. When you get yours in, open the panel covering the RAM, On the inboard side of that opening, you can see the connector for the CMOS battery (CN19) and then CN46 right next to it.

The BIOS chip on my board is an M25PX32VE chip. It is by ST and it is an SPI Flash BIOS chip. According to the manual there are also two eeproms on the board. IC20 and IC67. I have found IC67 but not IC20. IC67 is a ST 402RP. Again, remember I only have the MK1 manual and the MK3 is going to be different in some ways. I cannot get that chip number to correlate to an eeprom number.

Do you have an actual schematic or a board layout as found in the service manual?
CF-30KTPJQAM Mk3 1.6 GHz, 4GB, 500GB HDD 7200 RPM, 13.3 TS, Fingerprint, Gobi, Bluetooth, Intel A/B/G/N, DVD-RW, Win 7 x64.

12 CF-29's MK5, One CF-18 MK5, One CF-19 MK1, 4 CF-51's MK3, 7 CF-51 MK2, one CF-74 MK3, One CF-30 Mk 3 and one CF-52 MK2. Wait, is that all I have? MUST HAVE MORE!

nine

#16 Post by nine »

Does the bios store the password in the TPM module? If so, that's probably what you'll need to replace, and there's probably not much you can do to reset it outside of replacing it.

toughnut - For doing SMT by hand, you need an iron with good temperature control, and a very fine tip. I personally have a Pace MBT, but you don't need anything that fancy (although the vacuum extractor is REALLY cool). biggest thing to do is to find some older/dead hardware, and practice removing/replacing the SMT components.

nine
nine

Toughbooks, I have a few :)

tomcat57

#17 Post by tomcat57 »

About one year ago there was a post from a cf-30 or cf-74 owner on this issue
In the end he was able to remove the password
I am thinking that teo will not have a problem

Alex

Azrial

#18 Post by Azrial »

Rusty503, I have thought about your problem several times and have even set my own BIOs password in defense against this problem.

Have you considered, and I am nor even sure that it is an option in your case, letting a good CID Investigator take a stab at extracting the information from the most likely suspects.

You will have to excuse me, I am a old cop, and to a man whose favorite tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like nail... 8)
I am what I am, somebody has to be.
Call me for free from anywhere in the USA from my homepage! http://www.azrial.com/
CF-31JEGAX1M Mk2 Intel i5-2520M 2.50 GHz, Win7x64 & Ubuntu x64 14.04LTS Dual Boot, 16GB RAM, Samsung 250GB SSD, 2x64GB USB FD, 64GB SDHC, GOBI 4000, BUGPS, IBM AC/DC Supply #22P9003

rusty503

#19 Post by rusty503 »

Azrial wrote:Rusty503, I have thought about your problem several times and have even set my own BIOs password in defense against this problem.

Have you considered, and I am nor even sure that it is an option in your case, letting a good CID Investigator take a stab at extracting the information from the most likely suspects.

You will have to excuse me, I am a old cop, and to a man whose favorite tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like nail... 8)
They won't touch it because it is my personally owned computer. That on top of the number of suspects. They can't go on just my feelings. They want something much more concrete to go on.
CF-30KTPJQAM Mk3 1.6 GHz, 4GB, 500GB HDD 7200 RPM, 13.3 TS, Fingerprint, Gobi, Bluetooth, Intel A/B/G/N, DVD-RW, Win 7 x64.

12 CF-29's MK5, One CF-18 MK5, One CF-19 MK1, 4 CF-51's MK3, 7 CF-51 MK2, one CF-74 MK3, One CF-30 Mk 3 and one CF-52 MK2. Wait, is that all I have? MUST HAVE MORE!

teo

#20 Post by teo »

Ok! Got my unit yesterday and power up. It works as he said and confirmed it has bios password on it. Take out the hdd caddy put a harddrive from my cf-19 extra hdd with windows 7. Power it up works perfectly but the there are a lot of problem when you can't access on the bios. The lan/modem and wireless wi-fi are disable. Only enable for connecting to internet is the wwan modem with MC5727 legacy and I can' find any driver for it as it is exclusive for a conpany on which this unit came from. Another flaws is there is a dented area at the buttom near corner the hdd area on which has multiple hairline cracked about 1cm but it doesn't affect the functionality. So, probably need a new buttom cover. It looks like somebody open it up already as most screws at the button has a signed of it and some are to what you can say force it to open with unmatched srew driver and almost rip off.

Good news! it is MK3 non touch unit CF-30K5PAXAR-BP with win vista business COA at the buttom. The oem GPS is enable and working great so far.

I do beleived "nine" is correct that bios password is within the tpm module. I don't have an MK3 service manual only for MK1 to as like with "rusty..". Now! where can we buy this tpm module to replace it without the bios password.

Killcmos doesn't work either and all those on the web technique that they are offering. The only chance is to replace the module.

teo

Return to “CF-30 Talk (Discontinued Model)”