Wanting to upgrade my mk3

Post all questions and information about the CF-30 in here.
BIGREDGOAT

Wanting to upgrade my mk3

#1 Post by BIGREDGOAT »

So I wanna upgrade my toughbook, and am looking at a doing a 500gb ssd and also was curious if I should upgrade my ram. I believe it has 4gb ram running w7 64. The whole kicker here I have not done such a thing and I really don't know what brands and what I will need to do it etc. Thank you in advance

Shawn

Re: Wanting to upgrade my mk3

#2 Post by Shawn »

Win7 64bit needs 6gb to run as good as win7 32bit with 3.2gb
8gb is probably the most you will ever need.

Crucial is a good brand. Kingston is ok also. I believe the factory uses Samsung memory modules.
Life will beat you into submission.

BIGREDGOAT

#3 Post by BIGREDGOAT »

Awesome. I appreciate that. Is it just a take apart swap em out then back together and it's ready to go concerning the ram?

User32

#4 Post by User32 »

BIGREDGOAT wrote:Awesome. I appreciate that. Is it just a take apart swap em out then back together and it's ready to go concerning the ram?
I don't see why it would be hard to upgrade the RAM in a 30.

Shawn

#5 Post by Shawn »

BIGREDGOAT wrote:Awesome. I appreciate that. Is it just a take apart swap em out then back together and it's ready to go concerning the ram?

As long as you get the correct modules, yes it is that simple.
Make sure you unplug it and pull the battery first.

BIGREDGOAT

#6 Post by BIGREDGOAT »

Great, but how do i make sure they are the correct module? like i stated earlier in my main post. I literally know nothing of upgrading this stuff. I am eager and willing to learn, but need the correct nudge to do so. When i went to crucials website to browse, i ran the test and it claims all i can use is 4gb. but i read where AZIal, a member on here, put 2x4gb in his. i was just making sure it will be as simple as i am thinking it will be. I know it will be super beneficial, but what can i expect to see as far as performance goes?

BIGREDGOAT

#7 Post by BIGREDGOAT »

i just found this http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/2015827057 ... noapp=true will something like this work?
And will a 2.5" Samsung Evo 850 500gb SSD be a straight swap after i swap over everything from the original hard drive?

Shawn

#8 Post by Shawn »

Type the information into the page at the following link. It will tell you what fits. Buy it from them for a guaranteed working memory module upgrade.
http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/advisor
Azrial's posts list specific modules that he got to work. If you buy the EXACT same module it SHOULD work. No guarantees as 4gb is maximum Panasonic recommends.
http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads ... 813/page-3
Unless you run 20 windows open at once or are making huge CAD drawings, Use Windows 7 32bit. 4gb of ram will be more than enough for 32bit windows. And 32bit is more than enough for 95% of Toughbook users.

Buying (2) 4gb modules will cost $120.00 or more used on ebay. For that large of an investment, you would be much better off to put that money towards a CF 31 mk1 instead.

Others have used the 850 evo with success
http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads ... ad.725310/

BIGREDGOAT

#9 Post by BIGREDGOAT »

okay i will look into that. on the SSD, do i just take apart the case that my harddrive is in now, put the SSD in its place? what size and type of connector does it need to be. i have seen 2.5 and 3.5

Shawn

#10 Post by Shawn »

It is a 2.5" sata drive.

Return to “CF-30 Talk (Discontinued Model)”