Hard drive adapter in media bay experiment...huh?

Post all questions and information about the CF-30 in here.
Matguyver

Hard drive adapter in media bay experiment...huh?

#1 Post by Matguyver »

Well...I talked myself into trying out one of the generic hard drive adapters and retrofitting it into one of my older CD modules.
Everything worked and looked great. I slipped in a older Hitachi laptop drive I had lying around and plugged it in and walllaaah!
The 160 gig drive came up fine. I could copy to and from and all looked good until..... :help:
It will not boot with the adapter in. I can insert and remove once the bugger starts up, but no go on startup with adapter installed.

The second thing is that I found a great deal on a newer 1TB WD Scorpio blue HD but I can't get it even to be recognized at all.
I was thinking maybe the 6mbs speed is too fast and I should look at trying the jumper settings to limit it to the reduced speed to better talk to the older TB.

Anyone had any luck adding an additional hard drive using the media bay slot and one of the adapter/CD module mods?
I would love to mooch off anyone else's experience or advice.

Virtual beers :cheers: to anyone who has any ideas...thanks in advance
Toughbooks, Macs and a Jeepster...Life is good!

Shawn

Re: Hard drive adapter in media bay experiment...huh?

#2 Post by Shawn »

Are you using a PATA or SATA HDD?
Forget trying to use a SATA drive in the media bay at all
...IF (big if) they work at first, fairly soon it will become random whether it will be recognized or not. Drove me NUTS until I figured it out.
If you want it to boot, the media bay drive must be PATA in any CF30 and the mk1 and mk2 CF52's..
mk3 CF 52's media bay interfaces are odd, but that's another thread.
Large PATA drives are hard to find and pricey compared to SATA.
I have a PATA setup here (WD 320gb)..that I was using in a CF 52G...read/write and booted fine..At one time I had it boot FROM the media bay drive.
More important ..No delay in boot time...With any other combination, they will hang during boot.
I have not had that second drive in my CF 30 in a long time, but I am sure it worked in it..I will have to verify it tomorrow.
Once I verify mine in my CF30 mk3, I would be willing to sell my PATA drive setup as I do not use it anymore...
Life will beat you into submission.

Shawn

Re: Hard drive adapter in media bay experiment...huh?

#3 Post by Shawn »

My setup works great in a CF 30 also. Booted with no delay...The second drive is empty but partitioned/formatted..
No BIOS issues and Wndows7 had full access to the drive.
Life will beat you into submission.

Return to “CF-30 Talk (Discontinued Model)”