CF-30, PCMCIA, and Me

Post all questions and information about the CF-30 in here.
kode-niner

Re: CF-30, PCMCIA, and Me

#11 Post by kode-niner »

Sadlmkr wrote:When I am at the end of the house doing some bizarre wireless thing, if the Toughbook wifi does not show I hot-plug a PC wireless instead of trundling to the other end of the house. (to plug it in the router)
SMC EZ Connect802.11 g.
Works from CF-M34 to CF-31A.

That's all I know......O.K. so I looked this up. I am talking PCMCIA above....not express card as below.

Comparison to CardBus

The major benefit of ExpressCard technology over the previous PCMCIA CardBus PC card is a dramatic increase in bandwidth, afforded by the fact that the ExpressCard has a direct connection to the system bus over a PCI Express x1 lane and USB 2.0, whereas CardBus utilizes an interface controller that only interfaces with PCI. The ExpressCard has a maximum throughput of 2.5 Gbit/s through PCI Express and 480 Mbit/s through USB 2.0 dedicated for each slot, versus CardBus's shared 1.06 Gbit/s bandwidth.

In addition, the ExpressCard standard uses lower voltages than the previous CardBus slots (1.5V and 3.3V versus 3.3V and 5.0V).

The ExpressCard FAQ also claims other advantages, including lower cost, better scalability, and better integration with motherboard chipset technology.
The ExpressCard interface is not backwards-compatible with CardBus devices, which presents a problem for those who may purchase a new system only to find that their devices do not work with the new slot design.
FWIW
Some ExpressCards can work in a PCMCIA adapter. However I ran an ExpressCard 3G module in a PCMCIA adapter for mobile internet on my CF-29. It got so hot that the card fried itself after a few weeks of use. It probably would have been cooler in a native ExpressCard slot.
Daily drives a CF-31

QldRtv

#12 Post by QldRtv »

I've got one of those here, and when I insert it all I get is a steady flashing status light, it doesnt come up in device manager, doesnt try to install drivers, nothing.....

what am i doing wrong?
Panasonic Toughbook
CF-30KTPAX2M
Win7 Pro 32bit
160gb/4gb
Gobi2k WWAN&GPS
Intel 5300 WLAN
Sony Optiarc AD5540 Optical
More goodies to come

Shawn

#13 Post by Shawn »

Bad card?
Life will beat you into submission.

QldRtv

#14 Post by QldRtv »

nope, vendor replied to a message and suggested I try letting windows do the update...... 2nd attempt this morning and woohoo! now it works!
Panasonic Toughbook
CF-30KTPAX2M
Win7 Pro 32bit
160gb/4gb
Gobi2k WWAN&GPS
Intel 5300 WLAN
Sony Optiarc AD5540 Optical
More goodies to come

Return to “CF-30 Talk (Discontinued Model)”