Installing SSD what all do I need?

Post all questions and information about the CF-30 in here.
Tactmedic

Installing SSD what all do I need?

#1 Post by Tactmedic »

So I found a brand new 256GB Agility4 HD (plans were to install in another laptop) that I would like to install in the 30. Is it better to swap out the original HD and swap in the SSD, or just get the caddy they sell on ebay and install it where the CD/DVD drive is supposed to be? My 30 never came with the drive so do I need additional hardware to install the caddy? lastly do I need to move everything onto the SSD (OS- Win XP Pro), or should I wait till I get Win 7 Pro to do the install?

I know that its a lot of questions, but my goal is to speed up boot time, and get it quicker to access programs. I also plan to installing 4GB of Ram when I get enough money to buy it. Thanks in advance for the advice..
CF-C2AKFZGLM My newest one :)
CF-30KQPATPM for sale! Ask me about more info!
CF-30KCPAQ2M for sale! Ask me about more info!

toughasnails
Toughbooktalk Moderator

Re: Installing SSD what all do I need?

#2 Post by toughasnails »

You don't need anything else but I would wait until you get the Windows 7. Put it in you CF-30 caddy, it will not work where the cd-rom goes. The best way is to do a full install of Windows 7..
:spinny: Blair :spinny:
CF-51 MK3LL Core 2 Duo T7600 Mod , W7, 4GB Ram, 160GB 7200RPM HDD, Finger Print Reader
CF-52MK1 Core2Duo 2GHz, Intel SSD X25 Series ,4GB , BT with dock
CF-52 MK4 i5‑2540M 2.60GHz, ATI Discrete Graphics, Intel 120GB SSD, 16GB,W7 Pro 64bit
CF-53MK1 i5/2520, Kingston Hyper X SSD 240GB, 16GB memory, W7 Pro 64bit with dock
CF-54 MK2 Samsung SSD512GB, 16GB memory
And the little guys CF-M34 MK3 and MK7
Infologix / MediSlate 10.4" tablet
Cel Samsung Note 8
Member of:
http://thessdreview.com/
http://www.toughbooktalk.com

Tactmedic

#3 Post by Tactmedic »

toughasnails wrote:You don't need anything else but I would wait until you get the Windows 7. Put it in you CF-30 caddy, it will not work where the cd-rom goes. The best way is to do a full install of Windows 7..
OK so get the Win 7, install the SSD in the original caddy, I am guessing it is prob a good idea to also upgrade ram. Then do a clean install of the Win 7. Nice...

I found some Win 7 home premium 64bit backup disks I have- should I use this??

Silver Trooper

#4 Post by Silver Trooper »

I would not recommend the 64 bit. There have been problems with some of the drivers and you really do not gain anything by going to 64 bit over the 32. Which model CF-30 do you have? Put in the SSD, put in 4GB RAM and the install a clean W7. After you load all the drivers, go into start up and turn off all the unnecessary stuff and you will have a screamer. I have a MK3 with basically the same set up (32 bit) and my boot time is 23 seconds.
One CF-52, four CF-18's, 4.5 CF-28's, one CF-29, five CF-M34's, two CF-37's, one CF-P2 and two CF-P1's. There are also two Getac A320T's, one Fieldpac and two IBM Transnotes. Not to mention the AMD 5600 CPU with three monitors and several HP PDA's. Whew! Must quit buying...no, must have MORE! Then there are the weapons...

Ineptocracy: A system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Tactmedic

#5 Post by Tactmedic »

Silver Trooper wrote:I would not recommend the 64 bit. There have been problems with some of the drivers and you really do not gain anything by going to 64 bit over the 32. Which model CF-30 do you have? Put in the SSD, put in 4GB RAM and the install a clean W7. After you load all the drivers, go into start up and turn off all the unnecessary stuff and you will have a screamer. I have a MK3 with basically the same set up (32 bit) and my boot time is 23 seconds.

I have a Mk1 but its in like new condition, I'd like to find a Mk3 in the future...

Has anyone tried this? http://forum.notebookreview.com/windows ... uages.html

If not I have to find a 32 bit disc... ebay I guess.

Return to “CF-30 Talk (Discontinued Model)”