What exactly does my "wireless ready pocket" mean

Post all questions and information about the CF-30 in here.
Matguyver

What exactly does my "wireless ready pocket" mean

#1 Post by Matguyver »

Hi all...So according to my model number on my new CF-30 (CF-30KQPAXAM), mine has a "wireless ready pocket". Does that mean that all I have to add is the gobi card and then use the verizon set up application or is there more that I have to add besides the card? I picked up an original GPS module to add to my 30, but it looks like the gobi cards also have GPS as well? Can you have both and would there be any problems/benefits to doing so? which GPS system is better? sorry for the rash of questions, but I have not come across a good description of the WWAN cards and how they work. :doh: If anyone has any hints on where to find more info on adding it and set up, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks as always for everyones help :notworthy:
Toughbooks, Macs and a Jeepster...Life is good!

i58sr

Re: What exactly does my "wireless ready pocket" mean

#2 Post by i58sr »

It means your only short the sled and wan card. It installs above the battery...Here is what it looks like..
Sled A (Small).JPG
Sled A (Small).JPG (40.82 KiB) Viewed 9165 times
Sled B (Small).JPG
Sled B (Small).JPG (50.19 KiB) Viewed 9165 times

i58sr

#3 Post by i58sr »

[quote="Matguyver"]I picked up an original GPS module to add to my 30, but it looks like the gobi cards also have GPS as well? Can you have both and would there be any problems/benefits to doing so? which GPS system is better?

According to Rob the Gobi GPS cards share antennas. They will never be as good as a dedicated GPS like the popular GlobalSat BU-353

Rob
Toughbooktalk Founder

#4 Post by Rob »

ONLY the GOBI 2000 has independent GPS, the GOBI 1000 does NOT.

Yes, the dedicated OEM GPS is better.

In my last CF-31, I had an OEM GPS AND a GOBI 2000, thus, had 2 GPS recievers.

The only main advantage that I can personally think of having 2 is the ability to run 2 different GPS mapping programs at the same time. Being the nature of GPS and the fact that it runs on a COM port, it cannot be shared. It can only be used by ONE program at a time. So if you had both OEM GPS + the GOBI 2000 GPS then yes, you could do 2 programs at once.
~Rob - Vice President - Rugged Depot~
~Cell: (630)/300-8877~
~Owner - Toughbooktalk~
~Fully rugged Toughbook user since April 18th 2005~
~FZ-40ACAAHKM - Primary Toughbook / Workstation as of 7/29/22
~Win10 Pro (Win11 DG), Intel Core i5-1145G7 (up to 4.4GHz), vPro, 14.0" FHD Gloved Multi Touch, 16GB, 1TB Samsung SSD, Intel Wi-Fi 6, Bluetooth, 4G EM7690, GPS, Quad Pass (BIOS Selectable), Mic and Infrared 5MP Webcam, Standard Battery, TPM 2.0, Emissive Backlit Keyboard, Dual Batteries, USB A + HDMI + Serial X-PAK, Shoulder Strap, Flat~
~AT&T Business 1GB Fiber 1GB/1GB business static line~
~Gamber & Johnson Platinum Partner~

http://www.toughbooktalk.com
http://downloads.toughbooktalk.com/
http://www.rugged575.com - 300' UHF GMRS Radio Repeater
http://www.crete600.com - 310' UHF Linked GMRS Radio Repeater

~Emergency preparedness starts with reliable communication systems above all. Pretend the internet and cell phones didn’t exist, how will you communicate? If you’re interested in learning more, ask me!~

ADOR

#5 Post by ADOR »

Good to know that the GOBI 2000 has independent gps.

I have seen posted before on the forums but haven't tried it myself is a program called "gps gate" that allows you to use one gps and two programs at the same time.

I know there are other programs like that out there but can't search a certain place right now to find the name for them.
CF-28 MK2,Mk3 / CF-29 Mk3 / CF-30 MK2 / CF-25 Mk1 ATI / CF-19 MK3/Mk3/Mk5 / CF-U1 Mk1,Mk2 / CF-M34 Mk7/Mk3 / CF-17 Mk1 / CF-07
Voodoo Envy M355 / M360 / M515 / M780 / U703 / Voodoo Hexx / Voodoo Idol / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 "signed case" / Voodoo Omen
Alienware M11x R1, Alienware 17 R5

wyrm73

#6 Post by wyrm73 »

Rob wrote:The only main advantage that I can personally think of having 2 is the ability to run 2 different GPS mapping programs at the same time. Being the nature of GPS and the fact that it runs on a COM port, it cannot be shared. It can only be used by ONE program at a time. So if you had both OEM GPS + the GOBI 2000 GPS then yes, you could do 2 programs at once.
My workplace used Franson GpsGate for a while. It worked well, although we did run across an issue when we switched dispatch software and the new one would not recognize the virtual COM port. I say new, but the software is based heavily on legacy code, which is why it had issues. Everything else we used it with ran fine.

http://gpsgate.com/products/gpsgate_client/

Return to “CF-30 Talk (Discontinued Model)”