CF-30 SmartCard reader

Post all questions and information about the CF-30 in here.
wyrm73

CF-30 SmartCard reader

#1 Post by wyrm73 »

Where do they put the SmartCard reader on the CF-30 models? I never used one on my 29 because that meant giving up the sled for GPS and WWAN. Instead I opted for a PCMCIA adapter which still works with my new 30, but ties up that slot. It was not an issue when I had two, but the 30 obviously only has the one. It's not that I have a huge amount of uses for the PCMCIA, but the other day I needed it for a WWAN card, which fortunately could also use the express card slot. BUT it does not plug in fully due to the length of the card vs. the recessed slot. It got me through the day, but there has got to be a better mousetrap.

I could swear I saw a picture on FleaBay that showed the reader on the right side of the laptop inside the same door as the SD card slot and network port (underneath both of them). Am I whacko, or did they move it? IF I am not crazy and that is where it is, can it be added to a model that did not come factory equipped with it? More specifically, does the case have to be cut to accomodate it? Pictures would be nice if anyone has a card reader model, no matter where it is located. Cost is another issue altogether.

teo

Re: CF-30 SmartCard reader

#2 Post by teo »

I can confirmed that the smart card reader is underneath the sd reader, lan and modem port. I have a CF-30EAXXX before with htis Smart card reader. Its a federal issue unit used by military.

teo

wyrm73

#3 Post by wyrm73 »

teo wrote:I can confirmed that the smart card reader is underneath the sd reader, lan and modem port. I have a CF-30EAXXX before with htis Smart card reader. Its a federal issue unit used by military.

teo
Yup, I use the card reader for military use. I think we grunts are pretty much the only audiance for this hardware, at least in the Toughbook crowd. At least I have never seen anyone else using it. It used to be optional (read easier) to access government resource sites from home but now many of the sites are requiring the CAC card for security to even allow login.

If I had known that they moved it, I would have looked around a little longer to find a laptop that had the card reader already installed. Now the question becomes whether I can add it to my existing chassis or will I have to look for a donor federal model......

teo

#4 Post by teo »

Actually you can ad it later if you can find an smart cad reader module with same interface cable for cf-30. The slot is ready. It is just covered by a plastic. You take it out those plastic covering and cut it out based on the SM card reader opening. Try hearthlands, may be they have this module.

teo

wyrm73

#5 Post by wyrm73 »

Cool, thanks Teo!

tango

#6 Post by tango »

FYI !

CF-19 mk2 Dig + GPS + HSDPA + ( additional Caddy and HD )
CF-30 mk2 TS +WWAN+Smart Card Reader+Emissive Backlite KB+GPS+Finger Print Reader+( additional Caddy and HD ) 2 set
CF-29 mk3 TS + GPS + ( additional Caddy and HD )
CF-29 mk3 TS ( Install CPS to prog. the Motorola Radio )
CF-18 mk2 TS ( Install CPS to prog. the Motorola Radio outdoor )

wyrm73

#7 Post by wyrm73 »

Thanks, that helps a lot. Looks to be an easy install. I will have to start checking around after the holidays to see if I can pick one up. Too broke now. :)

rusty503

#8 Post by rusty503 »

You won't be the only one. I will start looking too.
CF-30KTPJQAM Mk3 1.6 GHz, 4GB, 500GB HDD 7200 RPM, 13.3 TS, Fingerprint, Gobi, Bluetooth, Intel A/B/G/N, DVD-RW, Win 7 x64.

12 CF-29's MK5, One CF-18 MK5, One CF-19 MK1, 4 CF-51's MK3, 7 CF-51 MK2, one CF-74 MK3, One CF-30 Mk 3 and one CF-52 MK2. Wait, is that all I have? MUST HAVE MORE!

SHEEPMAN!

#9 Post by SHEEPMAN! »

Rusty,
This CF-51 I am using has a smart card reader. CPU upgrade to 2.0 ...sell it complete or stripped. Need it?
RCBDFBM. $375/ ?

It being Christmas and all.:D

Jeff
Fair for you/ Fair for me.
I chose to NOT be organized.

-------------------------------------------------------------------[/color]
http://toughbooktalk.com/
http://forum.notebookreview.com/panasonic/

Rob
Toughbooktalk Founder

#10 Post by Rob »

Hey guys, FYI. I got a smart card reader in a CF-18 that I just received. Just pay me postage of $5 and it's yours for free.

SCM Microsystems. P/N: 903932 - SCR243 - Made in Singapore
PCMCIA (PC Card) type.

First come first serve. Only 1 available.

Thanks
~Rob - Vice President - Rugged Depot~
~Cell: (630)/300-8877~
~Owner - Toughbooktalk~
~Fully rugged Toughbook user since April 18th 2005~
~FZ-40ACAAHKM - Primary Toughbook / Workstation as of 7/29/22
~Win10 Pro (Win11 DG), Intel Core i5-1145G7 (up to 4.4GHz), vPro, 14.0" FHD Gloved Multi Touch, 16GB, 1TB Samsung SSD, Intel Wi-Fi 6, Bluetooth, 4G EM7690, GPS, Quad Pass (BIOS Selectable), Mic and Infrared 5MP Webcam, Standard Battery, TPM 2.0, Emissive Backlit Keyboard, Dual Batteries, USB A + HDMI + Serial X-PAK, Shoulder Strap, Flat~
~AT&T Business 1GB Fiber 1GB/1GB business static line~
~Gamber & Johnson Platinum Partner~

http://www.toughbooktalk.com
http://downloads.toughbooktalk.com/
http://www.rugged575.com - 300' UHF GMRS Radio Repeater
http://www.crete600.com - 310' UHF Linked GMRS Radio Repeater

~Emergency preparedness starts with reliable communication systems above all. Pretend the internet and cell phones didn’t exist, how will you communicate? If you’re interested in learning more, ask me!~

Return to “CF-30 Talk (Discontinued Model)”