CF-52 MK 4 CPU Temperatures

Post all questions and information about the CF-5x series in here.
longknives

CF-52 MK 4 CPU Temperatures

#1 Post by longknives »

I have a CF-52TKG101M running Linux Mint 18.3, the CPU temps seem to be running on the high side but then again maybe this is normal for this unit. It has the 1920 x 1200 screen and ATI 6750 Video card with an i5 2.6Ghz Processor and 8GB of memory.

Startup temp is apx 41, browser home page apx 57, surfing averages apx 65, YouTube vids apx 68-71, streaming video can be up around 80 while transitioning between web pages can momentarily (1-2 seconds) reach 90-95 degrees centigrade and at the 90 degree level the CPU program on the taskbar will indicate high.

The fan is working and very quiet and the fan vent is clean externally anyway, I have not opened the unit to look inside. Should these temperatures be a cause for concern?

mklym

Re: CF-52 MK 4 CPU Temperatures

#2 Post by mklym »

longknives,

Check in the BIOS for the total running hours on the unit. If it is under 20,000-25,000 hours, then I suspect the accuracy of the reporting from the program you use to monitor CPU temps. What program do you use? If the unit has over 25,000 hours, I would still suspect the programs accuracy but put new thermal pads in the unit.

I am using a CF-52-GUN---Mk2 running LMDE2. I know it does not have the hardware yours does but a quick estimate says the unit has probably in excess of 30,000 hours. It has a locked BIOS so I do not know for sure how many hours are on it. I do know my good friend that gave it to me used it for his 'daily driver' for at least a year, maybe more, and after I got the unit it sat in a desk dock running torrents 24/7 for almost 3 years. Since then it has been my daily driver and entertainment center for 5 yrs, so it is easy to see in excess of 30,000 hours. The unit has never been apart and the fan/heatsink is dirty, yet with Firefox having 6 tabs going,when I open a terminal and type "sensors' (without the quotes) I an told this unit is running at 47C. After watching a Classic MotoGP race in full screen streamed from YouTube , sensors in terminal says 47C.

If the hours are low and the fan/heatsink are clean, I think you are okay bit if you are still concerned, try verifying the temps with a different program. If all is good the second program should report lower temps.
CF-29LTQ,CF-31SBM,CF-52youngGUN,

Life's Journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways totally worn-out shouting 'Woo Hoo! What a ride!

Motorsports - the only real sport. If it doesn't have a motor, it is just a game.

There is always something waiting at the end of the road, if you are not willing to see what it is, you probably shouldn't be out there in the first place.

longknives

#3 Post by longknives »

mklym

Total hours are only 9240 and the Applet I'm using is CPU Temperature Indicator by jaszhic. When running sensors the temps shown are very close within 1 degree actually.

The sensors list high as being at 86 and critical as 100, with critical for the video card as being at 130 degrees centigrade. So it would seem there is no need to worry as the temps appear to fall within the normal ranges.

Thank you for the advice I just may pickup some thermal pads to have in reserve.

mklym

#4 Post by mklym »

As I said previously my Mk2 does not have the hardware your Mk4 has so can't do a direct comparison.

The 'critical' temps shown by 'sensors' are the temps at which the built in protection for the chip, either the CPU or GPU, shuts down the chip to prevent heat related damage. They are not the max temps that the chip achieved. The first numbers shown in a terminal by 'sensors' is the current temp of the chip. Here is the read out from my unit:

Code: Select all

morgan@cf-52gunlmde2 ~ $ sensors
acpitz-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1:        +45.0°C  (crit = +100.0°C)
temp2:        +46.0°C  (crit = +130.0°C)

coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Core 0:       +45.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 1:       +46.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
In "temp1" (CPU) the '+45.0 C is the current temp while the entry inside the brackets is the shut down temp.

I feel your temps are on the high side of 'comfortable'. If it was my unit, I would get some quality thermal pad material and replace the existing pads. I tend to err on the side of caution when it comes to chip temps.

Maybe someone with a similar unit will add their experiences with temps on their unit.

Life's Journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways totally worn-out shouting 'Woo Hoo! What a ride!

Motorsports - the only real sport. If it doesn't have a motor, it is just a game.

There is always something waiting at the end of the road, if you are not willing to see what it is, you probably shouldn't be out there in the first place.

longknives

#5 Post by longknives »

Here is my current readout with just ToughbookTalk open.

chris@cf52 ~ $ sensors
coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter

Package id 0: +55.0°C (high = +86.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 0: +55.0°C (high = +86.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 1: +51.0°C (high = +86.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

acpitz-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1: +53.3°C (crit = +105.0°C)
temp2: +53.3°C (crit = +130.0°C)

radeon-pci-0100
Adapter: PCI adapter
temp1: +54.0°C (crit = +120.0°C, hyst = +90.0°C)

chris@cf52 ~ $

EDIT;

I found some fugipoly thermal pad material however unsure of the proper thickness's that may be required, I could just buy all 3 but that add's up quick. They were listed as .5, 1.0 or 1.5mm in thickness, maybe the GPU might need a thicker one?

mklym

#6 Post by mklym »

I don't have time for research until Wed. due to work. The temps posted above seem somewhat high to me.

Low amount of useful information in this reply. Been one of those days.

mklym

#7 Post by mklym »

You should need the 0.5 and 1.5 thickness pads but not the 1.0.

When you take the unit apart, the thickness of each pad (CPU and GPU) will be obvious.

Let me know how things turn out.

longknives

#8 Post by longknives »

Thanks for the info on the pads. I think that you are correct and that I should replace the pads & while I'm in there might as well replace the cmos battery as well. Some some videos on opening the 52 and you do have to get deep into it for this job!

Might do some more reading on adding an emissive keyboard, I see a few have made it work.

mklym

#9 Post by mklym »

Talked with a friend on another forum. He has a CF-52Mk4 w/dedicated video card. Here is what he had to say:
FYI on CF 52.
Must be split open to get the fan.
Involves a couple hours work. Lift off top/LCD. Remove screws from underneath then lift palmrest / top off.
Backlit keyboard mod requires minor soldering. Do this while it is apart!

My mk4 ATI version has 25,000 hours and still runs cool. The fan will automagically pick up speed when it needs to.
Running win7 64bit with 8gb ram.
Used HWinfo portable version to get temps. I suggest he uses it in Wine to be certain of the same readings.
https://www.hwinfo.com/download/
I can't copy the images of his temps. I can compare once you are done the upgrade.

Return to “CF-54 / CF-53 / CF-52 / CF-51 / CF-50 Talk (Discontinued Models)”