New CF-52, Need Ideas

Post all questions and information about the CF-5x series in here.
natescott90

New CF-52, Need Ideas

#1 Post by natescott90 »

So I found a little gem at my local "candy" store (Midwest Computer Brokers), they had a couple CF-19's (Bought one of them), a CF-18, 3 CF-30's (All of which were really rough, one even had a puncture in the lid), and a CF-52. Bought the CF-52 and a 19. I looked at the CF-52 in the store, and I think it used to live in a diesel tech shop, it had some programs like Meritor and Bendix diag programs. Really good shape, and it only has 230 hours on it! Wouldn't let me keep the stuff on the hard drive for obvious reasons, so had to start fresh.

So, a few questions:

1. Did the CF-52 ever have a GPS option? If so, where should I look for it?
2. I'm definitely thinking of adding WWAN, what's the best card for the job? I'd prefer to use AT&T if possible.
3. Anybody know of any good modifications/parts to add? I'd like to fully spec this thing out, take it on trips, maybe use it at work if my boss lets me. I do a lot of driving for work, also battery life is the main concern.
4. Bluetooth card?

UPDATE: Took the hinge cover off, and I have a WWAN slot but no dip switches. There's a cute little diagram where they should be, along with the diagram with the settings, but no physical switches :wtf: so maybe it's not WWAN ready?
Full model number for both the 19 and the 52 are in my sig.
:newbie:

FZ-G1ASK4CCM-W10 Pro 64bit, 256GBSSD, 8GB RAM, GPS, Sierra Wireless MC7700. New addition to my collection, using it for navigation and vehicle diagnostics.

CF-29NTQGZBM-PM 1.6, 1.5GB, 80GB IDE, WXP Pro-Running legacy stuff, rescued from a local pawn shop.

CF-19KHRAX2M-Modified with a Gobi 2000 module for vague GPS and basic WWAN.

SHEEPMAN!

Re: New CF-52, Need Ideas

#2 Post by SHEEPMAN! »

Touch in the cf-19 is fairly straight-forward....new panel and it's like magic. I have one left, I think, if you want it. You're kinda short on computers....I could use a CF-30 Touch MK3 for packing material. :D) I have one for sure TSPCB if you want to convert the 30F3.

I'm not sure a later mark would have dip switches.

Commonly there is a little board screwed down in the wwan holes. Schematic calls it upper bios for some odd reason....it's just a place holder.

Check Azrial's post down below with 7??? and look at what the three holer cards do with that pcb antenna. My pictures.

In the process of bricking a 19MK6 so I'll sign off.

Jeff
Fair for you/ Fair for me.
I chose to NOT be organized.

-------------------------------------------------------------------[/color]
http://toughbooktalk.com/
http://forum.notebookreview.com/panasonic/

Shawn

#3 Post by Shawn »

What are the full model numbers?

CF52 used Gobi card (WWAN)for the gps.
Later models did not have dip switches.
Bluetooth on a CF52 is a dedicated card under the panel to the right of the keyboard.

Touchscreen can be added to a CF52 but it is full on custom work.
2nd hard drive works nice in the dvd drive as long as you get the proper one. mk1, mk2 and some mk3's use a pata dvd. Later mk's use a sata dvd. The 2nd hard drive must be the same as the dvd drive you take out.

Fingerprint reader is a CF52 option as well. I have one that I really don't use. I am an options whore.
Backlit keyboard can be added to a CF52 but, it requires dis-assembly and mild soldering.
There is a simple mod to add rings for a shoulder strap to the CF52.
I changed the gray touchpad to a black one. Improves the looks a lot.
Life will beat you into submission.

natescott90

#4 Post by natescott90 »

Jeff,

Finding a new panel for a decent price has been a pain so if you have one I'll definitely take you up on it. Are you talking about sending an actual CF-30 in the mail with the touch panel, or a touch panel for a CF-30? I don't have the CF-30F3 anymore, sold it a while back. I did notice a little dummy board where the WWAN sits on the 52, probably would make a good keychain!

Shawn,

Full model number for the 19 is CF-19CHBAXAM
For the 52 it's CF-52PGNBX1M
I did pull the DVD caddy and luckily its SATA, I'm sure I have a HDD caddy laying around somewhere that I can put in there.....

So if I wanted to go with Gobi modules for both, what part numbers should I look for? I saw Rob's post in the General section, I'm guessing the parts would be 19GOBI2000FU and 52GOBI2000FU?

FZ-G1ASK4CCM-W10 Pro 64bit, 256GBSSD, 8GB RAM, GPS, Sierra Wireless MC7700. New addition to my collection, using it for navigation and vehicle diagnostics.

CF-29NTQGZBM-PM 1.6, 1.5GB, 80GB IDE, WXP Pro-Running legacy stuff, rescued from a local pawn shop.

SHEEPMAN!

#5 Post by SHEEPMAN! »

It would protect the touchpanel.....just to be clear I charge extra for packing material. :) Pricing schedule below......Big red letters.
Fair for you/ Fair for me.
I chose to NOT be organized.

-------------------------------------------------------------------[/color]
http://toughbooktalk.com/
http://forum.notebookreview.com/panasonic/

Shawn

#6 Post by Shawn »

Only difference between yours and this one is the installed version of Windows.

Model Number:--CF-19CHBAXBM
MSRP:--$3,599
Description: WinXP, Intel Core Duo U2400 1.06GHz (Centrino), 10.4" XGA Touch, 80GB, 512MB, Intel WiFi a/b/g/n, Dual Pass (UpperWWAN/Lower:WLAN), TPM, Bluetooth, No Drive

The P indicates to me that it does need the sata dvd drive.

Model Number:--CF-52PGNBX1M
MSRP:--$1,729
Description: Win7, Intel Core i3-330M 2.13GHz, No vPro, 15.4" WXGA, 160GB, 2GB, Atheros WiFi b/g/n, No Bluetooth, Lightweight Battery, Multi-drive, Toughbook Preferred
Life will beat you into submission.

natescott90

#7 Post by natescott90 »

So Jeff, are you looking for any stuff or parts in particular? I've got a few misc parts for CF-28's along with some 15.6V chargers, but other than that not much. Got a few 2.5 inch SATA hard drives I'm not doing anything with.

Return to “CF-54 / CF-53 / CF-52 / CF-51 / CF-50 Talk (Discontinued Models)”