Unable to boot or reach Bios

Post all questions and information about the CF-5x series in here.
Bobador

Unable to boot or reach Bios

#1 Post by Bobador »

Hello all,

I'm having a problem getting my PC to boot up. After closing down Windows properly, I came back about 54 minutes later only to find out that it would not boot.

My Laptop Spec’s::
Panasonic Toughbook CF-50F1FGUKM
Windows XP Pro w/ SP1
Pentium M 1.40 GHz
Cache 1 MB
Bus Speed 400 MHz
Chipset Manufacturer Intel
Chipset Model 855PM
DDR SDRAM 128 MB

A couple things I have done is re-seated the memory. Removed any visible dust in the vents. Booting to the CDROM.

One thing I have to make mention of is the fact that we were using a 18.5v power supply instead of the 15.6v that it called out for. We had used the 18.5v several times, but only for a few minutes at a time.

Right now, when you turn it on I noticed that it will cycle through the indicator lights and all but two of them flash once. The 1.44 Drive light, and the hard drive light. I don’t hear the CPU fan turn on, but the unit does access the CDROM drive but it does not load.

I guess maybe that’s where we should start? How would you determine if the motherboard is fried?

I’m in trouble aren’t I? Worse case scenario I guess, is replacing the motherboard or even buying another CF-50 laptop for him..

And here’s the bigger problem…It’s not mine. All was doing for him was enabling him to be an administrator user so he would have the rights to change setting’s and such. I was able to do that but when I figured I would check on something real quick thenm turned it off….I didn’t realize that it would be the last time it would boot!

I’ve already let my friend know about what happened, and fortunately he’s not upset, but I am with me for agreeing to use the 18.5v ac charger!

Thanks in advance for all your help
Keith

Karl Klammer

Re: Unable to boot or reach Bios

#2 Post by Karl Klammer »

Hi Keith,

do you happen to hear any sounds / beep codes when turning your laptop on?
Are there any error codes displayed on the screen?

Best regards
Karl

Shawn

#3 Post by Shawn »

The high volt power supply usually does not end well.
Don't know your situation, but I would use the chance to upgrade to a CF52. A mk1 is cheap on ebay. MUCH better machine.
Life will beat you into submission.

Bill_TN

#4 Post by Bill_TN »

Don't just reseat the ram. Voltage spike could very easily have taken it out. Replace it with known good. Also remove all peripherals. I have seen a machine shut down and act like bad ram not boot , all it was is the dvd player went tits up. Try to boot with new ram, and nothing attached. No hdd, no dvd, no wireless ect. See if it will bios boot then. If not then consider the suggested up grade Shawn mentioned.
Luck.
CF-29ET, CF-28ST, CF-30G , CF-M34, CF-19Ch, CF-19FH, CF-19CD, CF-73 mk1, CF-74K & H, CF-51RCB, CF-51RCL, CF-52CC .

As long as the deal is good for you it is good for me.

Member of Toughbooktalk and Notebook Review forums

SHEEPMAN!

#5 Post by SHEEPMAN! »

Now there's a good post from friend Bill.

My blown fuse? could have been fried ram. (no sheep jokes please) Gotta check it out....it acted like bad ram too. :doh:
Fair for you/ Fair for me.
I chose to NOT be organized.

-------------------------------------------------------------------[/color]
http://toughbooktalk.com/
http://forum.notebookreview.com/panasonic/

Bill_TN

#6 Post by Bill_TN »

Seriously. When I get a non-bootable system, the first thing I do is disconnect EVERYTHING, replace the ram with known good ram and attempt to boot. If I get anything I try to go to bios. From there on it's just a matter of figuring out what bit the dust.
CF-29ET, CF-28ST, CF-30G , CF-M34, CF-19Ch, CF-19FH, CF-19CD, CF-73 mk1, CF-74K & H, CF-51RCB, CF-51RCL, CF-52CC .

As long as the deal is good for you it is good for me.

Member of Toughbooktalk and Notebook Review forums

Return to “CF-54 / CF-53 / CF-52 / CF-51 / CF-50 Talk (Discontinued Models)”