CF-53 Customer Specific Supervisor Password

Post all questions and information about the CF-5x series in here.
Neuronaut

CF-53 Customer Specific Supervisor Password

#1 Post by Neuronaut »

Hallo Toughbook Lovers.

Toughbooks are great machines and well developed to hava a looooong life. There are plenty Company specific Toughbooks who are sold daily for a second life out there. No reason to give it to the garbage because it was manufactured for a specific company. Also the companies get good money when they sell it after a short lease from lets say 2 to 5 years and should take care the machine is free from EVERY custom specific SOFTWARE and PASSWORDS.

My issue:
I was on the search for a relative new Toughbook and bought a CF53 mk2 (CF53JGW69FG). As i found out it seems there is a customer specific supervisor password installed which is activated when loading the bios setup defaults.

The TB comes without bios password. What i did is set a supervisor password since its neccessary to activate TPM. After tests went good i wanted to clean up totally to make the w7 TB a w10 TB.

I started with save the bios function (wherever the TB saved it ???) and loading the setup defaults in the bios.

AND from that point on i cannot access the bios anymore. The supervisor password i gave the TB is not working or lets say overruled by the custom settings in the setup defaults.

I called panasonic toughbook service and had a friendly chit chat to get the following information:

The TB is customer specific model and there are two ways to access the bios again.
1.) Get the password from the Company, sure they are not allowed to tell me for which company the machine was produced for
2.) Get the machine to panasonic to change the mobo. Since i was not interested i did not ask for costs or if the machine will arrive back to me with the customer specific setup defaults (the unknown supervisor password) or they will set it free

My 53 mk2 is still in warranty :clapping:

Is there somebody out who run in this problem and have a recommended method to get this TB run with ownership TPM ???
Last edited by Neuronaut on Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
- CF-72
- CF-53 mk4
- Always online on a Telekom 105 Mbit down, 42 Mbit upload speed

--- If you think you know something for sure go back to start and evaluate ---

Shawn

Re: CF-53 Customer Specific Supervisor Password

#2 Post by Shawn »

That is fascinating.
The custom BIOS has a password that is stored by default.
If you know the password, you get into the BIOS and disable it.
Restore BIOS to defaults and the password returns.
I have never heard of that before, but from the company point of view, it is a good plan.
They were even nice enough to disable the password before selling it.
Man you screwed yourself by doing the normal thing to reset the BIOS.

OUCH...
Life will beat you into submission.

toughasnails
Toughbooktalk Moderator

#3 Post by toughasnails »

I can tell you this much it's going to cost you more to remove it than what you paid for the 53. The thing is there is lots of software out there to get into a BIOS but none that will work on a Toughbook. We all have been trying for years and still no luck.
:spinny: Blair :spinny:
CF-51 MK3LL Core 2 Duo T7600 Mod , W7, 4GB Ram, 160GB 7200RPM HDD, Finger Print Reader
CF-52MK1 Core2Duo 2GHz, Intel SSD X25 Series ,4GB , BT with dock
CF-52 MK4 i5‑2540M 2.60GHz, ATI Discrete Graphics, Intel 120GB SSD, 16GB,W7 Pro 64bit
CF-53MK1 i5/2520, Kingston Hyper X SSD 240GB, 16GB memory, W7 Pro 64bit with dock
CF-54 MK2 Samsung SSD512GB, 16GB memory
And the little guys CF-M34 MK3 and MK7
Infologix / MediSlate 10.4" tablet
Cel Samsung Note 8
Member of:
http://thessdreview.com/
http://www.toughbooktalk.com

Neuronaut

#4 Post by Neuronaut »

How to deal with panasonic so they will change my mobo for free (the TB still has warranty). I mean should i feel guilty ? No.

My question is what do you think who should pay this bill. At that moment i think the company who bought the TB from panasonic should take care that they free the machine and so they have to do/pay. What are you thinking about this guys ? :tool:
- CF-72
- CF-53 mk4

Shawn

#5 Post by Shawn »

Where did you buy the Toughbook? Ebay or a dealer?

Neither one knew that the BIOS reset would re create the password. I can't see it being their fault or responsibility.
It sux, but when you buy used equipment, you take on the responsibility that it may not turn out exactly like you plan.

I would try to find out who the original purchaser was. One phone call may get you the password.

Neuronaut

#6 Post by Neuronaut »

I bought it at http://www.dideko.de , they offer it at ebay. I phoned them already and they are busy to gather information about the topic. Must be a difficult thing since they had 2 companies in between for data destruction and verification.

Panasonic just deny that it is from Rolls Royce because in the bag who came with it was in the ownership from a Rolls Royce employee.
Dideko just told me that they cannot give me this information. As i understood both and read in between the lines it seems to be a (very) big automotive player with plenty car dealers (this deal was 30 peaces).
- CF-72
- CF-53 mk4

Shawn

#7 Post by Shawn »

I think you are out of luck.
Will everything work with the BIOS set as it is now?

Neuronaut

#8 Post by Neuronaut »

I stay constructive, just i know it will not be a quick solution.

I work with this bios now, its booting from hd and up now i did not find anything which not works. :)
- CF-72
- CF-53 mk4

Rob
Toughbooktalk Founder

#9 Post by Rob »

There is a good chance I can remove this BIOS password for $89.

Never done on a customer specific model but it wouldn't hurt to try it.

Thanks!
~Rob - Vice President - Rugged Depot~
~Cell: (630)/300-8877~
~Owner - Toughbooktalk~
~Fully rugged Toughbook user since April 18th 2005~
~FZ-40ACAAHKM - Primary Toughbook / Workstation as of 7/29/22
~Win10 Pro (Win11 DG), Intel Core i5-1145G7 (up to 4.4GHz), vPro, 14.0" FHD Gloved Multi Touch, 16GB, 1TB Samsung SSD, Intel Wi-Fi 6, Bluetooth, 4G EM7690, GPS, Quad Pass (BIOS Selectable), Mic and Infrared 5MP Webcam, Standard Battery, TPM 2.0, Emissive Backlit Keyboard, Dual Batteries, USB A + HDMI + Serial X-PAK, Shoulder Strap, Flat~
~AT&T Business 1GB Fiber 1GB/1GB business static line~
~Gamber & Johnson Platinum Partner~

http://www.toughbooktalk.com
http://downloads.toughbooktalk.com/
http://www.rugged575.com - 300' UHF GMRS Radio Repeater
http://www.crete600.com - 310' UHF Linked GMRS Radio Repeater

~Emergency preparedness starts with reliable communication systems above all. Pretend the internet and cell phones didn’t exist, how will you communicate? If you’re interested in learning more, ask me!~

Neuronaut

#10 Post by Neuronaut »

Hallo Rob.

Thanks for the offer and thanks for the attention and all your work you do to have this forum.

I am not jet ready for the pragmatic way. Maybe after warranty is outdated. Nothing to do with you, but in general i like to do it myself or let the producer do it. Sure i would like to know your intended way to decide if i will do it myself. If it doesn't hurt you, you could tell me your secret in a pm.

Do you know where i can get a bios which i could burn ?
- CF-72
- CF-53 mk4

Return to “CF-54 / CF-53 / CF-52 / CF-51 / CF-50 Talk (Discontinued Models)”