What was I thinking... AKA Windows 10

Post all questions and information about the CF-5x series in here.
wyrm73

What was I thinking... AKA Windows 10

#1 Post by wyrm73 »

So the short version of the story is that I got impatient and manually downloaded Windows 10 instead of waiting for the automatic background downloader. It will load on a CF-52 Mk 4 and work.... sort of. So far the short list of issues:

1. Drive encryption has been flakey for me at best- I almost have that LONG recovery key memorized by now. I think I finally traced it to a USB drive that was accidentally left in during the encryption process coupled with problem #2. No issues for at least two days now- keeping my fingers crossed.
2. USB drivers were "updated" forcefully by MS after about two days. Despite the fact it could detect that they were not working correctly, it kept them. I manually rolled drivers back and USB is back to working. Lots of Internet chatter that drivers like to reinstall again later, so waiting to see if this crops up again.
3. Video seems to work fine on the laptop but the resolution and window placement is a bit wonky on my external monitor. Also, some "full screen" applications working in a borderless window but mouse is stuck inside the window like it actually is running full screen.
4. Have the dreaded unknown device showing up in device manager despite everything recognizing correctly before upgrade. I haven't had time to chase this one down yet.
5. Got a warning during upgrade that Bluetooth stack may not work correctly, but it seems to be working OK... so far
6. Have not yet tried WWAN as I am still trying to work out an issue with Verizon to get a working SIM card. Apparently my Ebay $40 wonder card came from a Panasonic tablet and their system cannot sell me the correct size SIM because it shows incompatible with the tablet. That reminds me, I need to call their tech support.
7. Edge is not working on a lot of web sites, but that is web page issue, not a CF-52 thing. I'm sure this will improve with time. At least TBT works. :D And Edge is totally not worth the hype either. New browser...yawn.
8. I turned off the Windows Update file sharing because I am not particularly interested in subsidizing MS's bandwidth.

I'm sure there will be more issues later as I spend more time with this monster.

Shawn

Re: What was I thinking... AKA Windows 10

#2 Post by Shawn »

Me thinks Microshaft best come up with a major service pack or else this OS may going to go down as the worst ever..I'm thinking Hindenburg..

Interesting that the final upgrade release seems worse than the full install preview releases...

I'm surprised the news media has not caught on to all the issues....Maybe they have..I don't do TV news...I get 8 minutes of news from the radio every morning..That's enough for me.
Life will beat you into submission.

wyrm73

#3 Post by wyrm73 »

To be fair though, this is the fourth upgrade in my house. The other three have minor or no issues. I love a good Micro$oft bashing as much as the next guy, but I can only blame myself on this one. Toughbooks are a bit different and I knew that going into this upgrade, thus the title to the post.

And don't kid yourself- this is pretty much the norm for MS launches...AKA final beta testing. This is no worse than the launch of Win 8 was. Or 7. Or Vista. We now return you to your bi-annually scheduled dirigible implosion...

toughasnails
Toughbooktalk Moderator

#4 Post by toughasnails »

8. I turned off the Windows Update file sharing because I am not particularly interested in subsidizing MS's bandwidth.
Well keep an eye on it because MS is turning this turning this back on and you will not notice it until it is tooooooo late. This is one of the big problems that many are having and with a lot of other stuff you are shutting off it somehow gets turned back on.
:spinny: Blair :spinny:
CF-51 MK3LL Core 2 Duo T7600 Mod , W7, 4GB Ram, 160GB 7200RPM HDD, Finger Print Reader
CF-52MK1 Core2Duo 2GHz, Intel SSD X25 Series ,4GB , BT with dock
CF-52 MK4 i5‑2540M 2.60GHz, ATI Discrete Graphics, Intel 120GB SSD, 16GB,W7 Pro 64bit
CF-53MK1 i5/2520, Kingston Hyper X SSD 240GB, 16GB memory, W7 Pro 64bit with dock
CF-54 MK2 Samsung SSD512GB, 16GB memory
And the little guys CF-M34 MK3 and MK7
Infologix / MediSlate 10.4" tablet
Cel Samsung Note 8
Member of:
http://thessdreview.com/
http://www.toughbooktalk.com

ADOR

#5 Post by ADOR »

Sounds like visa, after a update every thing you tweaked was changed back to how MS wanted it.
CF-28 MK2,Mk3 / CF-29 Mk3 / CF-30 MK2 / CF-25 Mk1 ATI / CF-19 MK3/Mk3/Mk5 / CF-U1 Mk1,Mk2 / CF-M34 Mk7/Mk3 / CF-17 Mk1 / CF-07
Voodoo Envy M355 / M360 / M515 / M780 / U703 / Voodoo Hexx / Voodoo Idol / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 / Voodoo Rage F1 "signed case" / Voodoo Omen
Alienware M11x R1, Alienware 17 R5

wyrm73

#6 Post by wyrm73 »

OK last straw with this thing came while attempting to fix #6. The VZ Access Manager does NOT like Win 10. It seems to run fine, but the connection to the WWAN card (MC7750) is flakey as all get out. Half the time it cannot even find the card, other times it cannot initialize the device, and the final nail in the coffin was when it finally connected it wanted to update the firmware- which died in the middle and damn near bricked my card. Took a dozen attempts on my WIn 7 backup hard drive running the firmware update manually to get it back to normal.

Other than that, the only issue I was able to fix was the video (#3). A software update from ATI put it back to normal. All of the other issues are still annoying me daily. I think the Win 7 backup drive is now the primary and I will keep toying with Win 10 as I have time. I like the OS, it just does not like my CF-52.

Azrial

#7 Post by Azrial »

wyrm73 wrote:... 6. Have not yet tried WWAN as I am still trying to work out an issue with Verizon to get a working SIM card. Apparently my Ebay $40 wonder card came from a Panasonic tablet and their system cannot sell me the correct size SIM because it shows incompatible with the tablet. ...
Sorry, I am confused, why would a CDMA Verizon card need a SIM? That is a GSM problem, of is this some feature of GOBI which I do not understand, yet? :pat:
I am what I am, somebody has to be.
Call me for free from anywhere in the USA from my homepage! http://www.azrial.com/
CF-31JEGAX1M Mk2 Intel i5-2520M 2.50 GHz, Win7x64 & Ubuntu x64 14.04LTS Dual Boot, 16GB RAM, Samsung 250GB SSD, 2x64GB USB FD, 64GB SDHC, GOBI 4000, BUGPS, IBM AC/DC Supply #22P9003

wyrm73

#8 Post by wyrm73 »

The MC7750 is CDMA for any carrier but Verizon, but is 4G capable for them. (Same thing with the MC7700 for AT&T.) Verizon requires a SIM for all 4G...though the thing REALLY likes running in 3G mode anyways...waste of a SIM so far.

wyrm73

#9 Post by wyrm73 »

Update to my update- turns out the WWAN card was bad. I still have Win 10 on a second hard drive. I will give it a go when I have a few spare minutes just to see if that was the issue of if the software still will not play nice. For now, I am perfectly content using the OS that I know works.

Return to “CF-54 / CF-53 / CF-52 / CF-51 / CF-50 Talk (Discontinued Models)”