How to replace the processor ?

Post all questions and information about the CF-5x series in here.
Bill_TN

How to replace the processor ?

#1 Post by Bill_TN »

Alright here we go. My first big question in the forum. Can anyone direct me to either boob tube videos on how to, or an actual shop type repair manual for this cf-51? I can't read what is left of the stickers on the back of this poor device so can not get down to EXACTLY the SPECIFIC model.
The poor thing just will not boot up. At all. Black screen of black screens here. Not even fan spin up. The MP light flashs on first start up and then just the "Z" power light stays lit. Have removed every peripheral there is, wlan, dvd, speakers, track pad, lan, keyboard, even physically removed the screen from lower section. Only thing left in the case is the MB and power switch. Have tried many different, functioning ramm sticks first, not my first rodeo. :) .
The only thing I have left to try is swapping out the processor. This MB, however, has a rather interesting carrier for it. Have pulled the "lever" up but will not release the cpu yet and I'm rather against trying to force the issue. I'm fore finesse than hammer. With it being a core 2 Im sure that I have a few on the shelf here.
So here we are. :help:
CF-29ET, CF-28ST, CF-30G , CF-M34, CF-19Ch, CF-19FH, CF-19CD, CF-73 mk1, CF-74K & H, CF-51RCB, CF-51RCL, CF-52CC .

As long as the deal is good for you it is good for me.

Member of Toughbooktalk and Notebook Review forums

Shawn

Re: How to replace the processor ?

#2 Post by Shawn »

Here is a start..

https://www.google.com/search?num=20&sa ... O7Qdfc7dtU

Here's a whole unit for $60. with HDD caddy and AC adapter
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PANASONIC-CF-51 ... 339f35e04e
Life will beat you into submission.

Bill_TN

#3 Post by Bill_TN »

Hey thanks Shawn. Going to be reading that thread from beginning to end. Will probably register there too. But buying a good to go unit would defeat the purpose of the work. LOL. It's what I do to keep myself out of jail. I find pc's, rebuild them, play for awhile, then either tear them down for other projects or find them new homes. Unless they strike a cord then they get set on a shelf to toy with later. Did the same with CBs, Hams, cars. and bikes. Now it's pc's. Bad part is that I still have a shed full of radio stuff that I can't seem to bring myself to dispose with. LOL
CF-29ET, CF-28ST, CF-30G , CF-M34, CF-19Ch, CF-19FH, CF-19CD, CF-73 mk1, CF-74K & H, CF-51RCB, CF-51RCL, CF-52CC .

toughasnails
Toughbooktalk Moderator

#4 Post by toughasnails »

It's very easy to pop the cpu out of the 51 but it can fool you. The lever needs to be not sticking up is your problem. You need to move it again so it laying flat down. Check out our 51 thread. It will show you how.

http://www.toughbooktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=749

Edit....for some reason all the pictures are all gone...sorry but it still has lots of info
:spinny: Blair :spinny:
CF-51 MK3LL Core 2 Duo T7600 Mod , W7, 4GB Ram, 160GB 7200RPM HDD, Finger Print Reader
CF-52MK1 Core2Duo 2GHz, Intel SSD X25 Series ,4GB , BT with dock
CF-52 MK4 i5‑2540M 2.60GHz, ATI Discrete Graphics, Intel 120GB SSD, 16GB,W7 Pro 64bit
CF-53MK1 i5/2520, Kingston Hyper X SSD 240GB, 16GB memory, W7 Pro 64bit with dock
CF-54 MK2 Samsung SSD512GB, 16GB memory
And the little guys CF-M34 MK3 and MK7
Infologix / MediSlate 10.4" tablet
Cel Samsung Note 8
Member of:
http://thessdreview.com/
http://www.toughbooktalk.com

Bill_TN

#5 Post by Bill_TN »

Oh theres some pix still on the one I looked at. Even read it all the way thru . Processor is now pulled. Will look thru some of my other machines for a functioning replacement that I don't mind killing the system for. But for some reason I'm doubting this is the fix and that this thing is destined for the parts bin.

SHEEPMAN!

#6 Post by SHEEPMAN! »

Like many others...it's easy the third time you do it. Was there a part number under the ram? For the mobo. end edit
Fair for you/ Fair for me.
I chose to NOT be organized.

-------------------------------------------------------------------[/color]
http://toughbooktalk.com/
http://forum.notebookreview.com/panasonic/

Shawn

#7 Post by Shawn »

just to help...
Life will beat you into submission.

Bill_TN

#8 Post by Bill_TN »

Well, like previously posted, I pulled the cpu now. Thanks entirely to the link provided by Shawn. Thanks for the additional pic there too Shawn, but it's already out. Toughasnails, t/y for that link too. Favourited it for more reading.
Sadlmkr, thank you for that reminder there as well. Forgot about potential stickers there and on the metal plate, under the key board, that the speakers mount to. Odd thing there, it seems that they are 2 different numbers. CF51MK225H06136 is the number on the sticker under the ramm. CF-51ZFYZCZM is the one on metal plate. Any ideas there?
Also I hope all the MonkeySoft fans here are happy. I am going to actually have to use M/S to download CPUZ for it's processor info usage. I'm pretty much a Linux fan here and avoid M/S usage as much as I can. Yes I know that I can run most M/S programs in Linux, however when it comes down to it I just can't seem to bring myself to contaminate my Linux systems with M/S cooties. I'll also take time to find a Linux version of it.

Return to “CF-54 / CF-53 / CF-52 / CF-51 / CF-50 Talk (Discontinued Models)”