~Toughbooktalk~ Rob - 630-300-8877

The largest Toughbook discussion site on the net!
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:34 pm

All times are UTC-06:00




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next
Author Message
 Post subject: DVD-Multi problem
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:25 am
Posts: 32
What would cause the dvd-multi drive not to work. I Have a cf-52vaaby1m and the drive has never worked. It doesn't even open. I have put this drive into another cf-52 and it works great, and when I put another drive into this pc it doesn't work either. So it's not the drive itself. Nor is it a driver issue. What else could it be?


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: DVD-Multi problem
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:35 am
Posts: 2968
One possibility is the cable from the dvd port to the motherboard is bad or unplugged.
Second posibility is the dvd is disabled in the bios.
third possibility is a blown fuse on the motherboard
fourth possibility is that is has a special bios that has the dvd permanently disabled.

Model Number: CF-52VAABY1M
Status: CURRENT
MSRP: $2,979
Description: Windows 7 Professional, Intel Core i5‑3360M 2.80GHz, 15.4" WUXGA LCD, 500GB Shock‑mounted HDD (7200rpm), 4GB, ATI Discrete Graphics, Wi‑Fi, Bluetooth, DVD Super MULTI Drive, TPM 1.2, Toughbook Preferred

_________________
Life will beat you into submission.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: DVD-Multi problem
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:25 am
Posts: 32
Thanks for the reply, i'll start looking into it.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: DVD-Multi problem
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:33 am
Posts: 548
I have a 52P with the same thing going on,let me know what you find.

_________________
2 CF-30Mk3's, 2 CF-71's, CF-L1, 3 CF-72's, CF-73, CF-74, CF-48, CF-50, CF-51Mk3, 2 CF-19's,7 CF-52's, FZ-A1 and other assorted beaters.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: DVD-Multi problem
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:31 pm
Posts: 739
Location: B.C.
d9e5v4 wrote:
What would cause the dvd-multi drive not to work. I Have a cf-52vaaby1m and the drive has never worked. It doesn't even open. I have put this drive into another cf-52 and it works great, and when I put another drive into this pc it doesn't work either. So it's not the drive itself. Nor is it a driver issue. What else could it be?




Check on the bios. Maybe your optical drive setting is Disable.

teo


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: DVD-Multi problem
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 12:11 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:25 am
Posts: 32
safn1949 wrote:
I have a 52P with the same thing going on,let me know what you find.



It's nothing in the bios that I can find. I haven't had to time/courage to rip into it yet. I'll post my findings once I do.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: DVD-Multi problem
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 4:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:35 am
Posts: 2968
Please post a photo of the rear of the drive and post the exact model number of the drive.

What is the model of the CF52 that the drive works in?

_________________
Life will beat you into submission.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: DVD-Multi problem
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 12:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:25 am
Posts: 32
Shawn wrote:
Please post a photo of the rear of the drive and post the exact model number of the drive.
What is the model of the CF52 that the drive works in?


I don't remember the exact model number but it was an older c2d p8600 cf-52 that I happen to have at the time. Both worked in the older one but neither in my current. So it's definitely my pc. One day, hopefully real soon, im going to take it apart and check it out.

Image
Image


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: DVD-Multi problem
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 1:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:35 am
Posts: 2968
You don't need to tear it apart....

The newer CF52 will only accept a SATA DVD drive....
The older CF52's use a PATA ..DVD drive....
The drive in the photo is a PATA....
It will plug in but will not work....
My CF52P must have a SATA drive, but oddly enough my CF52M will accept either PATA or SATA...
My CF52G needs a PATA only.. A SATA won't even fit the whole way.

_________________
Life will beat you into submission.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: DVD-Multi problem
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 4:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:25 am
Posts: 32
Shawn wrote:
You don't need to tear it apart....

The newer CF52 will only accept a SATA DVD drive....
The older CF52's use a PATA ..DVD drive....
The drive in the photo is a PATA....
It will plug in but will not work....
My CF52P must have a SATA drive, but oddly enough my CF52M will accept either PATA or SATA...
My CF52G needs a PATA only.. A SATA won't even fit the whole way.


Well that's awesome news. Thanks. I had no clue there was a difference. Anyone happen to have a part number for the sata dvd multi drive?


Last edited by d9e5v4 on Thu May 07, 2015 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next

All times are UTC-06:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited