[REPORT] Removal of CF-51 BIOS password.

Post all questions and information about the CF-5x series in here.
R-T-B

[REPORT] Removal of CF-51 BIOS password.

#1 Post by R-T-B »

I think I have a method of removing a CF-51 bios password. I noticed several interesting functions in the CMOS and bios registers that may allow me to make a "password removal bootdisk." Unfortunately, I have already scrapped one CF-51 Mk3 to figure this out (desoldering the BIOS and CMOS chips rather badly) and need to recover some of the costs. Would it be ok if I launched a "password removal" service here? (It's already succesfully worked on one toughbook but has some bad sideeffects I'm working on) I'm not talking a lot, as a TON of toughbook owners need this removed I picture $5 per removal would quickly cover some of it.

My question is, is this really morally objectional? If it is I may just release the information for free, or not at all (there is also the concern of people stealing toughbooks with passwords and removing them. Thoughts? Comments?

wyrm73

Re: [REPORT] Removal of CF-51 BIOS password.

#2 Post by wyrm73 »

Just my two cents worth, I see nothing fundamentally wrong with what you are suggesting, but how are you going to verify laptop ownership before performing this service? Most of the time the oiginal owner is registered with Panasonic, but rarely is this information updated when the laptop is resold. Anything I can think of as "proof" could be easily forged in the Internet age.

In my work as a computer technician for my company, I have had several employees ask me or flat out offer bribes to remove the BIOS password. The other big worry would be stolen laptops. I would think that the vast majority of customers would be legit, but that annoying minority is continuing to ruin the world for the honest people. Ultimately, if it were me that had this information at my disposal, I would limit it to a smaller, trustworthy client base (like most of the core folks around here for one example :)) or buy laptops off Ebay that have the BIOS password and fix them and resell them for a profit.

R-T-B

#3 Post by R-T-B »

Probably wise. If anyone needs this information, contact me. That'll be the policy for now.

toughasnails
Toughbooktalk Moderator

#4 Post by toughasnails »

Myself I see nothing wrong with it. Why...go look on ebay and see how many 3-5 year old toughbooks are on there now with under 200 hours or like a couple sellers that have 8 of them under 90 hours...really are we that stupid :rolleyes: , check out the prices they are asking :eek: . We all know there is a trick to it but most of us just stay away from the ones with it. Yes we have a few members on here that know the trick on other toughbooks but I have never asked them " how to do it" just because I don't need it. Would I like to know...sure just for the heck of it.
I did notice that there is a ebay seller that states BIOS has been reset due to BIOS password, that is why zero hours showing
:spinny: Blair :spinny:
CF-51 MK3LL Core 2 Duo T7600 Mod , W7, 4GB Ram, 160GB 7200RPM HDD, Finger Print Reader
CF-52MK1 Core2Duo 2GHz, Intel SSD X25 Series ,4GB , BT with dock
CF-52 MK4 i5‑2540M 2.60GHz, ATI Discrete Graphics, Intel 120GB SSD, 16GB,W7 Pro 64bit
CF-53MK1 i5/2520, Kingston Hyper X SSD 240GB, 16GB memory, W7 Pro 64bit with dock
CF-54 MK2 Samsung SSD512GB, 16GB memory
And the little guys CF-M34 MK3 and MK7
Infologix / MediSlate 10.4" tablet
Cel Samsung Note 8
Member of:
http://thessdreview.com/
http://www.toughbooktalk.com

R-T-B

#5 Post by R-T-B »

At least he's honest, lol.

Though my method doesn't zero BIOS hours, I'd be curious to see what he is doing.

Driller

#6 Post by Driller »

just because the fix is available, I'd like to know how to do it. I haven't sold the first cf-51 nor cf-29 nor cf-18, nor cf-74 and all the others that have piled up. There are a lot of upgrades I'd like to know and spend time watching the gurus do a few. Would be worth paying someone for the experience and making a trip if not too far a drive. Just my 2 cents worth,,..Driller

teo

#7 Post by teo »

ok! can you send me the trick that you had without desoldering the chip.

teo

R-T-B

#8 Post by R-T-B »

I'm having someone test it at the moment on another CF-51 to confirm. Mind you this does not appear to work in the least on boot up passwords, only bios ones.

hawk1234

#9 Post by hawk1234 »

Would this work on a CF-74? Or does anyone know how to remove / reset the bios password on a CF-74?

Return to “CF-54 / CF-53 / CF-52 / CF-51 / CF-50 Talk (Discontinued Models)”