Who uses toughbooks?

Post all general Toughbook related things here.
hawkeye177

Who uses toughbooks?

#1 Post by hawkeye177 »

I'm just wondering what you guys do and why you have a toughbook.

I normally see them being used by police and service technicians. Is that the main crowd or am I missing something?

Thanks
Rob
Last edited by hawkeye177 on Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rob
Toughbooktalk Founder

Re: Who uses toughbooks?

#2 Post by Rob »

Rob I use it just to have peace of mind knowing that I don't have to baby the dang laptop lol
~Rob - Vice President - Rugged Depot~
~Cell: (630)/300-8877~
~Owner - Toughbooktalk~
~Fully rugged Toughbook user since April 18th 2005~
~FZ-40ACAAHKM - Primary Toughbook / Workstation as of 7/29/22
~Win10 Pro (Win11 DG), Intel Core i5-1145G7 (up to 4.4GHz), vPro, 14.0" FHD Gloved Multi Touch, 16GB, 1TB Samsung SSD, Intel Wi-Fi 6, Bluetooth, 4G EM7690, GPS, Quad Pass (BIOS Selectable), Mic and Infrared 5MP Webcam, Standard Battery, TPM 2.0, Emissive Backlit Keyboard, Dual Batteries, USB A + HDMI + Serial X-PAK, Shoulder Strap, Flat~
~AT&T Business 1GB Fiber 1GB/1GB business static line~
~Gamber & Johnson Platinum Partner~

http://www.toughbooktalk.com
http://downloads.toughbooktalk.com/
http://www.rugged575.com - 300' UHF GMRS Radio Repeater
http://www.crete600.com - 310' UHF Linked GMRS Radio Repeater

~Emergency preparedness starts with reliable communication systems above all. Pretend the internet and cell phones didn’t exist, how will you communicate? If you’re interested in learning more, ask me!~

hawkeye177

#3 Post by hawkeye177 »

Rob,

So you are paying a good amount of money extra so you don't have to take care of your stuff? I don't understand the logic. If i bought something so expensive I would protect it more.

Rob

rjenkins

#4 Post by rjenkins »

I design & repair electronics.

A good part of it is often 'on site' working on either heavy machine tools or packaging machines in food factories.

I like Toughbooks because they are extremely well made, have amazing battery life and a serial port, which is rare nowadays. They are also relatively easy to upgrade (eg. Bluetooth & GPS added in this one).

I do look after them & they have always been kept in good quality case (presently Tech Air for my CF-29).

They do end up floating about in the car with various toolboxs and loose equipment, which does not seem to bother them but the two none-toughbooks I had prior to my first CF-27 did not last long...
Robert Jenkins
Presently using a CF-31 Mk5, Toughbook #10 (I think.. too many to keep track of)

Iceman304

#5 Post by Iceman304 »

I use them because if I go to work and forget my vest I can stick one inside my shirt. :blowaway:

Connor922

#6 Post by Connor922 »

I am a Firefighter/EMT I use my CF-29 for department training records, shift scheduling, I carry it in my command vehicle for mapping, and I also take it out and around on different units when we go out for hose and equipment testing to record data.

GunHog

#7 Post by GunHog »

I would break a cute expensive laptop. A Dell would not last long in the back of a HMMWV bouncing down the road in Fallujah. My ToughBook is my field office. Reports, research library, documentation, data storage and after the GPS upgrade field navigation and convoy management.

I like my computers like I like my women.... Rugged, flexible, dependable and bullet resistant. :blowaway:
HM2 Jorge "GunHog" Tarafa PMT (FMF) USN ANTI-TERRORISM UNIT USMC :swords: "I shoot till some one asks for a bandaid"!
CF-18 Mk2 DHAZXKM Intel Pentium 1100MHz 1.10 GHz 1.25GB RAM 40GB HD GPS (EM-408/APA 27dB) BlueTooth
Suppressed M4 6Mags on BlackHawk Medic Vest + M9 Right Side draw 4 Mags + Ka-Bar Left side inverted vest draw + Combat MedPaK

toyo

#8 Post by toyo »

Me, I use mine mostly because it is rugged, reliable, and oh so cool. Plus the gubberment gave it to me, I mean you did. :clapping:

wyrm73

#9 Post by wyrm73 »

I was first introduced to ToughBooks working as a service technician for the local gas utility and then was able to make the swap over to the IS department where I now repair/ maintain them. I bought one personally for my part time job in the Army National Guard (well full time for the next year). Like GunHog said, you can let it roll around in a HMMWV, rucksack, or wherever and not have to worry about sand, water, or damage from drops.

I have been surprised by how much attention my CF-29 has gotten from my fellow soldiers though. They are sometimes issued by the military so people recognize them, but they seem shocked that I bought my own. My answer is usually, "Why didn't you buy one instead of that cute, fragile little netbook?" :violent: :P Sure mine weighs three times as much, but it will be the last one still running after a year in the sandbox, GUARANTEED!

GunZenBomZ

#10 Post by GunZenBomZ »

Storage of hi-def footage from motorbiking around europe & some RTS gaming.

Return to “General Toughbook Talk”