Toughbook Cleaning

Post all general Toughbook related things here.
mrbungle

Toughbook Cleaning

#1 Post by mrbungle »

Over the past year, I've bought and sold a few toughbooks on eBay- 28's and 29's. And everyone I get is totally filthy. I have a bit of OCD and am kind of a clean freak, so naturally these things have to be cleaned to my factory-fresh standards before I'll consider using them.

They all get disassembled. All of the port covers and parts that unbolt go in the dishwasher for a cycle or two. Good old hot water and dish detergent gets them pretty clean.

Then I use a Sonic Scrubber (http://www.sonicscrubber.com/) to go over the little areas, places I can't get in with a regular cleaning rag- like along the cover parts where they latch, hinges, etc. I use some mild dish soap and lots of water.

Keyboards also get the sonic scrubber with less water, and a few shots of air from my air compressor. Don't get too into it and rip off keys with either the sonic scrubber or compressed air. Don't get too crazy with the sonic scrubber on the lettering, I just use it in between the keys.

I'm not afraid to completely take these things apart- especially removing the LCD from both the main cabinet, and removing the LCD itself from the top lid and getting in there and cleaning out the crap.

We know these things are not always used in nice clean conditions like how I usually use them, they are abused by employees who don't care and when they spill their crap on them, they don't bother with it because the computers are "tough".

Every one I've sold has been cleaned like this- much better than how they came to me. I don't buy and sell very much, I have a spare 29 I'm hanging onto for a backup for now, but I just wanted to share my cleaning experiences and solicit any other cleaning methods.
CF-29H @ 1.4Ghz, CF-29 @ 1.2Ghz

rjenkins

Re: Toughbook Cleaning

#2 Post by rjenkins »

My main cleaning supplies are a clear kitchen surface cleaner (Dettox etc), paper kitchen towels and cotton buds.
(That cleaner is better than most industrial cleaners, I also use it on machine tool parts!)

My technique for keyboards is to lay a piece of kitchen towel across the keyboard then lightly spray it with cleaner until it's damp and going transparent. Press it down gently anywhere it's not stuck then leave for a few minutes. This holds solvent against the surface without it running off the keycaps and taking the crud into the guts of the keyboard.

Peel it off and dry the keycaps with a soft cloth or more kitchen towel.
Spray cleaner sparingly on cotton buds and do the edges of the caps, the vapour from being enclosed under the damp covering will have loosened the crud.

For bits you can't get to easily, IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol - 'Tape Head Cleaner') works very well. This is sold in pure form as electrical cleaner. It does not affect normal plastics or paints and is less toxic then Ethanol (but several times as intoxicating, so be careful of the fumes).

Cigarette lighter fluid removes the goo left from sticky labels after these have been peeled off, it's about the only thing I know that will.
(Both this and IPA are highly flammable, so take appropriate care).
Robert Jenkins
Presently using a CF-31 Mk5, Toughbook #10 (I think.. too many to keep track of)

toyo

#3 Post by toyo »

I was just giving mine a good cleaning the other day. I am thinking I must really have a problem or something, but then I always just say to myself that it is much better to take care of something you have worked hard for than to just piss it around.

I honestly do not let mine get to the point of heavy cleaning. I take my air compressor, reduce the PSI and blow everything Sq In of this thing. Clean the screen with Stoners Glass Cleaner, wipe the computer down with the same cleaner, then I apply some spray polish I have that I used to use for my motorcycle. It is very high in UV protection, and makes all the plastic parts look like brand new.

I worry about the spot where I rest my right palm while typing. I hear it wears down after time. Any truth to this?

tomcat57

#4 Post by tomcat57 »

toyo wrote:
I worry about the spot where I rest my right palm while typing. I hear it wears down after time. Any truth to this?

The first signs of use that I notice are on the space key, it starts to get shiny
That’s why I always replace the keyboards on the used models that I buy
The next area is the touchpad, same issue it gets smoothed out
I haven’t noticed wear on the palm rest area on the 29s or 30s
The cf-72’s and the well used cf-28’s that I have had wear out on the palm rest area

Alex

rjenkins

#5 Post by rjenkins »

Just about the only signs of wear on my older CF-29 are polished-to-the-metal spots along the front right edge of the palmrest and the symbol wearing off the down-arrow key.

I think whoever previously owned it used it almost exclusively on a desk for reading documents..
Robert Jenkins
Presently using a CF-31 Mk5, Toughbook #10 (I think.. too many to keep track of)

Connor922

#6 Post by Connor922 »

tomcat57 wrote:
toyo wrote:

The first signs of use that I notice are on the space key, it starts to get shiny
That’s why I always replace the keyboards on the used models that I buy
The next area is the touchpad, same issue it gets smoothed out
I haven’t noticed wear on the palm rest area on the 29s or 30s
The cf-72’s and the well used cf-28’s that I have had wear out on the palm rest area

Alex
Yeah I remember on my 72 it had wicked wear through on the palmrests. I am yet to get one with really bad wear on a 28 though, and like you said I've never seen significant wear through on a 29 or 30

toughbookdrivers

#7 Post by toughbookdrivers »

From my experience...

Do NOT use acetone (nail polish remover), unless you are extremely careful with it, I have had success with it by mixing it will water and applying a very small amount but I still wouldn't recommend it unless you absolutely have to.

Also do NOT use Windex on the screen especially on the older models, I'm not sure about the newer ones, it will leave permanent steaks.

I had to find these things out the hard way. :doh:
CF-25 MK3
CF-27 MK4
CF-29 MK5

Toughbook Drivers

Return to “General Toughbook Talk”